Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

LFS has banggai cardinals for $9 tomorrow =). Gonna pick up 2 to make a trio.

Sounds like a no brainer! You'll probably pay more than that for food for them :D

• Like 2

Got one Banggai Cardinal (they didn't have small ones) and a Christmas Wrasse to tackle the flatworm issue. Both are in observation QT in the Spec.

Which store?

Xzotic Aquatic by Milwaukee and Touhy. Looking for anything in particular?

Not yet, waiting on the new tank to get here. LFS said it will hit the IL distribution center Tuesday and Neptune is sending him my new Apex next week. Waiting for Aqua Pros to let me know my skimmer is in. So with any luck everything will be here late next week or early the following week. Rock is cured and cycled in the garage.

Haven't been to Xzotic Aquatic, need to check them out and Seven Seas still.

• Like 1

Not yet, waiting on the new tank to get here. LFS said it will hit the IL distribution center Tuesday and Neptune is sending him my new Apex next week. Waiting for Aqua Pros to let me know my skimmer is in. So with any luck everything will be here late next week or early the following week. Rock is cured and cycled in the garage.

Haven't been to Xzotic Aquatic, need to check them out and Seven Seas still.

Xzotic is pretty good for fish and inverts, but not much corals. Seven Seas don't do QT so I don't get fish from them. They get shipments and dump them into their display tank right away. The store is clean but they are in the business to get fish out asap.

I visited a local today by Xzotic that has more corals than Aquapros or Reefwise or any other LFS out there. Price is decent too. He operates out of his basement. For example, he has like 50 frags of goniporas, blue, red, pink, green, purple. Rows and rows of torches / hammers. Lots of other stuff. Wish I found out about him before my tank is pretty much full. He's by Foster and Nagle.

Xzotic is pretty good for fish and inverts, but not much corals. Seven Seas don't do QT so I don't get fish from them. They get shipments and dump them into their display tank right away. The store is clean but they are in the business to get fish out asap.

I visited a local today by Xzotic that has more corals than Aquapros or Reefwise or any other LFS out there. Price is decent too. He operates out of his basement. For example, he has like 50 frags of goniporas, blue, red, pink, green, purple. Rows and rows of torches / hammers. Lots of other stuff. Wish I found out about him before my tank is pretty much full. He's by Foster and Nagle.

Good to know, I thought I had heard that Seven Seas did QT, I'll take them off my list. Might wait until after MACNA to start stocking the new tank. Going to depend once I get it all setup if I see any kind of mini cycle or issues. Plus it's one less thing the wife has to take care of while I am gone.

• Like 1

So crazy your Cardinal disappeared!!! Are you going to post photos of the cardinal and wrasse??? Things are looking great, Ninja.

• Like 1

So crazy your Cardinal disappeared!!! Are you going to post photos of the cardinal and wrasse??? Things are looking great, Ninja.

I moved the original Cardinal to the reefer now. It is doing great. Gonna keep the new cardinal and wrasse in the Spec V for a week or two. Will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow. The wrasse is hiding.

Here's a pic of the Spec with the original cardinal from a few days ago. There's only one cardinal in there. Don't be fooled by the reflection. After I took the picture, I thought I found the missing cardinal. Doh.

28442031465_738a1e1b80_z.jpg

• Like 9

I moved the original Cardinal to the reefer now. It is doing great. Gonna keep the new cardinal and wrasse in the Spec V for a week or two. Will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow. The wrasse is hiding.

Here's a pic of the Spec with the original cardinal from a few days ago. There's only one cardinal in there. Don't be fooled by the reflection. After I took the picture, I thought I found the missing cardinal. Doh.

What a beautiful tank! I somehow missed it.

My female cardinal likes to hide in the rock work. You sure it's not hiding in the overflow or rocks? And when I say hide, I mean hide. I've thought it was gone multiple times.

I'm struggling trying to figure out what kind of wrasse to get. My substrate is VERY coarse, not good for a fish to bury itself in and from what I'm reading, the fairy wrasses don't eat flatworms.

• Like 1

My female cardinal likes to hide in the rock work. You sure it's not hiding in the overflow or rocks? And when I say hide, I mean hide. I've thought it was gone multiple times.

I'm struggling trying to figure out what kind of wrasse to get. My substrate is VERY coarse, not good for a fish to bury itself in and from what I'm reading, the fairy wrasses don't eat flatworms.

I only have one rock in the spec and I took it out to search for it. It's gone =(. I really think the maxi mini ate it.

People say yellow coris is best at pest control but mine is nice and fat from Larry's and pay no attention to the flatworms. I heard Melanurus are good too. I also had a Springer's Damsel that took care of a flatworm problem in my previous nano tank. I hope my Christmas Wrasse will eat them.

• Like 1

I only have one rock in the spec and I took it out to search for it. It's gone =(. I really think the maxi mini ate it.

People say yellow coris is best at pest control but mine is nice and fat from Larry's and pay no attention to the flatworms. I heard Melanurus are good too. I also had a Springer's Damsel that took care of a flatworm problem in my previous nano tank. I hope my Christmas Wrasse will eat them.

I read somewhere else about the springer's damsel as well! I am looking forward to seeing how you make out with the Christmas wrasse

• Like 1

My possum ate Flatworms and slept in the rocks, not sand.....even when I had sand. He always perched inside the rock.

Beautiful tank.

• Like 3

I read somewhere else about the springer's damsel as well! I am looking forward to seeing how you make out with the Christmas wrasse

I wish I can find a Springer damsel now. Beautiful fish and not super aggressive and only $5 normally and doesn't kill your snails and hermits when it gets big.

My possum ate Flatworms and slept in the rocks, not sand.....even when I had sand. He always perched inside the rock.

Beautiful tank.

Thanks! Possum wrasse are awesome for nanos. I may have to get one for the spec.
  • Like 4

The arching rock in this tank is always such a beautiful thing. I think every tank should have a wow element in it. For me it's that signature rock in this one.

• Like 2

I am looking forward to seeing how you make out with the Christmas wrasse

Christmas wrasse is gone. Maxi mini is the main suspect. Not on the floor. Not in the sand. Not in the rocks. !@#@!#@!#@!#

Christmas wrasse is gone. Maxi mini is the main suspect. Not on the floor. Not in the sand. Not in the rocks. !@#@!#@!#@!#

Oh no :( I know they pack a powerful sting

• Like 1

Well that's disappointing. I'm sorry :(
  • Like 1
Nano sapiens

Man, that hurts. I've always been wary of any kind of anemone.

• Like 1

3 hours water change today. Cleaned up the sand bed finally (but I just placed an order with Saltcritters...blah). The yellow non photosynthetic gorgonian is still doing well and becoming a nice center piece of the tank.

FTS

27911183403_e4bd9d8c1a_z.jpg

28243368150_32fea128a3_z.jpg

Just the left side

27911176823_d247ebbaa4_z.jpg

New wall hammer

28449209351_6789eac465_z.jpg

Clam doing well

28421153682_717128cf49_z.jpg

Monticaps spiraling into each other =)

28449216271_f294c881f8_z.jpg

Side view

28421138452_f2f4170142_z.jpg

• Like 12

Yeah, that yellow gorg is a beauty- I love these closer shots today. It's turning so beautiful.

Thanks! I really love that yellow gorg. Since it is doing well, I may try other nonphotosynthetic gorgs too.

Stunning! Are you feeding your tangs any algae sheets or just regular food?

If you get regular Larry's Reef fish food, it has algae in the mix. I am finishing my last package of Larry's Nano right now that doesn't have algae so I mix in some Rod's Seaweed Blend that I got a sample package of.