Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Starfish is front and center today. Perfect photo op for July FTS. Also decided to try taking photos during the day to get more light. Bad thing is more glare and reflection of the closet door.

28026747625_2a4b09cb43_z.jpg

27412761894_d84c463679_z.jpg

Placed an order for AquaMaxx CO-1 protein skimmer and Kessil AP700 major diffuser. Really want to get into SPS, but one acro frag is already showing bright color on one side and brown on the other due to lack of coverage.

I still need to look at the MD ad :lol:...I'll get to it eventually. Tank is looking amazing, of course :). I see you replaced the monti with a new coral, on that mag rock :).
  • Like 2
HarryPotter

You're going to really like the skimmer.

Oh I have mine on a single sheet of eggcrate- otherwise it seemed to skin a tiny bit wet (I like super thick sludge)

• Like 1

I still need to look at the MD ad :lol:...I'll get to it eventually. Tank is looking amazing, of course :). I see you replaced the monti with a new coral, on that mag rock :).

Thanks! It's some kind of birdsnest. I have a colony sitting on the frag rack for a while now. Will probably give it away at some point. It's greenish and I have too much green already. The monti is recovering and once it's all healed up, it will go back on the mag rock =).

You're going to really like the skimmer.

Oh I have mine on a single sheet of eggcrate- otherwise it seemed to skin a tiny bit wet (I like super thick sludge)

Nice, I have a DIY skimmer rack of 3 eggcrates together. I decided on the CO-1 based on your recommendation =). And because it's half the price of a Nyos...hahaha

• Like 3

The new FTS is great! I love the mixture of colors.

I have another question about the rock lol. I have read that the purple paint chips off and leaves flakes in the water as well as white spots on the rock. Have you noticed this at all?

• Like 1

Stunning new FTS's! I love how the red starfish is just posing right in the center. Its quite the fun pop of color. The tank is really looking wonderful overall. Daylight photography is hard because of the glare and reflections, but I don't notice any at all in your photos! Nice work!

I also love the coral macro shots. Makes me miss my tube anemones, but they just take up too much real estate in a smaller tank. I'll just admire yours. I love that gorg too! You'll have to keep us posted on how its doing and if your figure out what it is. Do you know if its photosynthetic?

• Like 1

Stunning new FTS's! I love how the red starfish is just posing right in the center. Its quite the fun pop of color. The tank is really looking wonderful overall. Daylight photography is hard because of the glare and reflections, but I don't notice any at all in your photos! Nice work!

I also love the coral macro shots. Makes me miss my tube anemones, but they just take up too much real estate in a smaller tank. I'll just admire yours. I love that gorg too! You'll have to keep us posted on how its doing and if your figure out what it is. Do you know if its photosynthetic?

If it does well, I can frag it for people. I think gorg can survive 2 days priority mail right??? I am pretty sure it's photosynthetic. It looks like like my other purple gorgs.

• Like 3

Cough maybe when I get back I can come grab the rocks and a piece of that gorg ;)

I am gonna call them Tuesday and see if they still have the other one. If they do, I am gonna buy the other one. Then make 1" inch frags and sell them for $10 each. And call it Yellow Gold Diamond Sparking Fairy Deepwater Vietnamese Aussie Gorgonian.

• Like 6

If it does well, I can frag it for people. I think gorg can survive 2 days priority mail right??? I am pretty sure it's photosynthetic. It looks like like my other purple gorgs.

That is absolutely awesome if its photosynthetic! Most of the photosynthetic ones are just purple. Gorgs should be fine in 2-day mail I think. However, KPA will do 2-day shipping for a lot of things, but they only send gorgs overnight. I've never tried, but its worth an experiment :)

I am gonna call them Tuesday and see if they still have the other one. If they do, I am gonna buy the other one. Then make 1" inch frags and sell them for $10 each. And call it Yellow Gold Diamond Sparking Fairy Deepwater Vietnamese Aussie Gorgonian.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

The new FTS is great! I love the mixture of colors.

I have another question about the rock lol. I have read that the purple paint chips off and leaves flakes in the water as well as white spots on the rock. Have you noticed this at all?

Hmm...I have noticed white patches on my rock and I thought something is eating the paint off. I dont see any paint chips floating around though....

That is absolutely awesome if its photosynthetic! Most of the photosynthetic ones are just purple. Gorgs should be fine in 2-day mail I think. However, KPA will do 2-day shipping for a lot of things, but they only send gorgs overnight. I've never tried, but its worth an experiment :)

:lol::lol::lol:

If mine does well, I will definitely frag off a piece for you. It will look stunning in your tank with all your other gorgonians.

• Like 1

Parameters:

Alk - 8.2

Ca - 325

Nitrate - 0

Midas blenny jumped out of the tank last night when I was feeding. It must be hungry. Landed on the floor, flopped around for 30s. Surprisely, it seemed fine when I put it back in the tank. I would think the fall would have hurt it.

If mine does well, I will definitely frag off a piece for you. It will look stunning in your tank with all your other gorgonians.

I'd definitely buy or trade you for a frag of that if it does well! I want to keep collecting photosynthetic gorg species :)

Sorry to hear about the midas blenny jumping, but glad it happened while you were standing there and that he's ok!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Lotsa calcium usage :)

Ive dropped a lot of clownfish while moving hundreds from tank to tank taking photos..... They're pretty resilient!

• Like 1

I'd definitely buy or trade you for a frag of that if it does well! I want to keep collecting photosynthetic gorg species :)

Let's shoot for the Fall. If it's still alive, I will send you a frag 2 days priority. Just pay me shipping =). Will have to ask Gena how to pack it. She was successfully shipping out monticaps 2 days priority before.

• Like 1

Let's shoot for the Fall. If it's still alive, I will send you a frag 2 days priority. Just pay me shipping =). Will have to ask Gena how to pack it. She was successfully shipping out monticaps 2 days priority before.

That's very generous of you! Sounds like a plan :) You'll just have to let me know if you'd like any snips of any of my gorgonians! Mine have really been having some growth spurts lately!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

All the tanks I admire are running T5s...hmm.....

Because LEDs don't grow squat :lol:

Just kidding of course, but I'm happier with 6 bulbs than I ever was with two radions :)

Because LEDs don't grow squat :lol:

Just kidding of course, but I'm happier with 6 bulbs than I ever was with two radions :)

someone creates an easy and clean way to mount T5s and I am in. I dont want to drill any holes in the ceiling or wall.

• Like 1

someone creates an easy and clean way to mount T5s and I am in. I dont want to drill any holes in the ceiling or wall.

I just got my T5 fixture for the new build yesterday. I considered getting something welded to hang them from, but I think I am just going to end up hanging them from the ceiling.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

They have tank mounts.

I was hesitant to hang as well. Then said screw it this tank is as permanent as anything and hung it in 5 minutes.

• Like 1