ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

mitten_reef

quick question on the gorgonian....did you dip it? I just got my first one today and can't seem to find a quick answer on whether or not it should/could be dipped.

I'm using Seachem Reef Dip currently.

quick question on the gorgonian....did you dip it? I just got my first one today and can't seem to find a quick answer on whether or not it should/could be dipped.

I'm using Seachem Reef Dip currently.

I did not dip mine just because it was too big. i will recommend dipping if possible. I use Revive though so not sure about Seachem Reef Dip.

mitten_reef

I did not dip mine just because it was too big. i will recommend dipping if possible. I use Revive though so not sure about Seachem Reef Dip.

Thank you for the quick reply! Hope that didn't come of as rude or demanding. I had an impulse buy and forgot to ask about the whole acclimation/transition part. Your gorg was the tipping point for me on trying it out :P , so I thought I'd ask you.

I found a couple mentioning of freshwater dip, but nothing I've seen so far mention any iodine-based dip. I might just do FW.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply! Hope that didn't come of as rude or demanding. I had an impulse buy and forgot to ask about the whole acclimation/transition part. Your gorg was the tipping point for me on trying it out :P , so I thought I'd ask you.

I found a couple mentioning of freshwater dip, but nothing I've seen so far mention any iodine-based dip. I might just do FW.

no problem. what kind of gorgonian did you get?? the photosynthetic ones are pretty easy to care for.

What kind of gorg is that ninja

Stella told me it's Menella sp. It's awesome. Definitely one of the my fav. Unlike other corals that glow under blues, the gorg color is more intense under whites.

Seriously love your tank, puts mine to shame :(

Thanks! Yours is great too with all those BTAs.

mitten_reef

no problem. what kind of gorgonian did you get?? the photosynthetic ones are pretty easy to care for.

The seller thinks it is photosynthetic. I hope it is. Because I don't run a skimmer, I feed the coral food only twice a week or so, sometimes once, to keep excess nutrient low. If it's not photosynthetic, I'm gonna have to up my feeding routine.

It has purplish red branches that grow in no particular pattern similar to yours, with yellow/orange polyp.

I'll have to wait for the polyps to come back out and take a pic.

• Like 1

The seller thinks it is photosynthetic. I hope it is. Because I don't run a skimmer, I feed the coral food only twice a week or so, sometimes once, to keep excess nutrient low. If it's not photosynthetic, I'm gonna have to up my feeding routine.

It has purplish red branches that grow in no particular pattern similar to yours, with yellow/orange polyp.

I'll have to wait for the polyps to come back out and take a pic.

My LFS told me mine was photosynthetic too =P. How wrong they are..

Tank is looking amazing! Well done, sir!

Thanks! Glad yours is still running =)

• Like 1

I will be taking down the green monticap, green birdsnest, and birds of paradise tomorrow. They are growing too fast and growing into each other. Not sure what I am gonna do with them...how is it possible I am running out of room for corals!

• Like 2

You need a bigger tank :D

or just more rocks. the monticap is creating too much shade. i wish i had more rocks to mount stuff. i can't even move my rock without risk of it collapsing on me. i just used regular glue to hold it all together =P.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

or just more rocks. the monticap is creating too much shade. i wish i had more rocks to mount stuff. i can't even move my rock without risk of it collapsing on me. i just used regular glue to hold it all together =P.

I was a dedicated stacker until I had a serious collapse that killed a few heads of LPS and "forcefully fragged" some acros. Then I redid it with epoxy, and then put encrusting corals over each joint. Now a few months later the encrusting montipora completely cover the epoxy and make the joint stronger by the day!

• Like 2

In my 40 I stacked the rocks then stuck emarco mortar in between the rocks while I had enough water out of the tank to expose the joints. I did a little bit at a time so the corals weren't out of the water for more than about 45 minutes. The mortar only needed about ten minutes to set up enough to put the water back in.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Ninjamyst I just realized I can clean the back glass with a MAGNET! I've been trying and failing to do it with a razor.

I think my idiocy was because I used to have an AIO ?

• Like 1

Ninjamyst I just realized I can clean the back glass with a MAGNET! I've been trying and failing to do it with a razor.

I think my idiocy was because I used to have an AIO

LoL. I been doing that but still can't get to overflow.

Every flame I've had started off good but ended up nipping

So what u do? Return it?

Stinkybunny posted this somewhere, and I copied it down:

"There are only 4 angelfish that I consider reef safeish, Cherub, Respendens, Coral Beauty and Fireball. Rusty, Potters, Vroliki, Oriole and Flame will taste all of your corals and eat the ones they really like. There's always the possibility that one will start eating things. The only thing I've ever seen the Cherubs nip at is sponges."

Gena also reported no coral nipping problems with her coral beauty, and mine has been fine so far.

I'd try one and you can always take it back :)

• Like 1

Stinkybunny posted this somewhere, and I copied it down:

"There are only 4 angelfish that I consider reef safeish, Cherub, Respendens, Coral Beauty and Fireball. Rusty, Potters, Vroliki, Oriole and Flame will taste all of your corals and eat the ones they really like. There's always the possibility that one will start eating things. The only thing I've ever seen the Cherubs nip at is sponges."

Gena also reported no coral nipping problems with her coral beauty, and mine has been fine so far.

I'd try one and you can always take it back :)

Thanks!!! I may just get a coral beauty now =)

• Like 1

I will be taking down the green monticap, green birdsnest, and birds of paradise tomorrow. They are growing too fast and growing into each other. Not sure what I am gonna do with them...how is it possible I am running out of room for corals!

part of the reason my cube came down was because the monticaps were outgrowing it (mostly the green) and I couldn't trim it nicely. It looked blah to me. And the bigger tank was a bit overwhelming for me. I wanted something small again :).

• Like 2