Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

sorry but i dont want to deal with shipping bulky and fragile things. USPS / FedEx / UPS and I have a love hate relationship.

No worries. Looking at the dims it might be a fraction of an inch to big to fit in the chamber of my sump anyway....
  • Like 1

Will have to check out that thread later. Are you running 8L in a 50g?? Wow, I guess I should get some more =P.

First time using egg crate, it was pretty easy. Tinkering with the sump is so addictive. I am already thinking about adding a UV sterilizer and a waterfall algae turf scrubber.

I just updated my signature :P its in about 90G total volume system, lets just say its an easy way for n03 removal, I just put some cheato in my fuge and lit that up, I really want a DSB in there but I'm not sure how effective it will be since its only 6x16 and some more macro algae

• Like 1

I just updated my signature :P its in about 90G total volume system, lets just say its an easy way for n03 removal, I just put some cheato in my fuge and lit that up, I really want a DSB in there but I'm not sure how effective it will be since its only 6x16 and some more macro algae

Got 2L more coming in the mail =).

Weekend project! I need to pick up some zip ties :)

I may create another section to put a MiniMax reactor. Depends on how much area the MagnaFuge can light up. I can also just drop a passive bag of carbon behind the skimmer.

• Like 1

Got 2L more coming in the mail =).

I may create another section to put a MiniMax reactor. Depends on how much area the MagnaFuge can light up. I can also just drop a passive bag of carbon behind the skimmer.

Why would the IM reactor need its own section given it mounts to acrylic?

I stuffed my IM reactor with floss a week or two before the transfer and brought that over- it's nice and filthy.

I've never had good luck with any chemical media, GFO or carbon.

• Like 1

Why would the IM reactor need its own section given it mounts to acrylic?

I stuffed my IM reactor with floss a week or two before the transfer and brought that over- it's nice and filthy.

I've never had good luck with any chemical media, GFO or carbon.

I was going to put the IM reactor in the DIY section if the MagnaFuge light can't light up the whole area. Dont have anywhere else left to put it...

• Like 1

2 questions and a statement for ya

Statement, Wife and I started saving for a 350.

question 1:

Do your snails ever go over the rim? any advice on this?

Question 2: in your sump what is the orange line from your Skimmer to your filter sock. I don't have much experience with skimmers. Last I had one was 7 years ago and a hang on the back. Don't remember much of them.

2 questions and a statement for ya

Statement, Wife and I started saving for a 350.

question 1:

Do your snails ever go over the rim? any advice on this?

Question 2: in your sump what is the orange line from your Skimmer to your filter sock. I don't have much experience with skimmers. Last I had one was 7 years ago and a hang on the back. Don't remember much of them.

Congrats on your choice! The reefer is a great system.

1. Yes, my nerite has climbed out multipple times. Just dont get nerites. The other snails do not climb out. You want a tank cover anyways to prevent fish from jumping.

2. The orange line is just a drain line for the collection cup. So you can drain out the nasty stuff in the cup without taking off the cup. It's long so you can drain it into another container.

Ninja,

It will take some time to save but I am pretty sure its what we want.

I was wondering about that too I guess, do you have a cover for yours, I notice all your pictures you don't have one on. I will have to have one because our cats will end up IN the tank... For a couple days it was hot and I had the little tiny hatch open on the biocube and my alpha cat was swashing his paw in there trying to get the clown fish. SMH...

That is pretty cool that it has a drain!

another random question is:

If you loose power will your sump flood?

• Like 2

Ninja,

It will take some time to save but I am pretty sure its what we want.

I was wondering about that too I guess, do you have a cover for yours, I notice all your pictures you don't have one on. I will have to have one because our cats will end up IN the tank... For a couple days it was hot and I had the little tiny hatch open on the biocube and my alpha cat was swashing his paw in there trying to get the clown fish. SMH...

That is pretty cool that it has a drain!

another random question is:

If you loose power will your sump flood?

Yup, I have a cover that I put on when I am not home or sleeping. When I am home, it's usually off. It's a $50 BRS DIY screen. Mine is a little warped so that's why I dont take pics with it on =P.

Your sump will not flood if you loose power. You can turn off return pump and all your equipments and still have about a little less than 10 gallons of wiggle room, depending on the weight of equipment you have in your sump. However, if your house is prone to power lost, you should invest in a battery backup for your display powerhead to keep water moving for oxygen for your fish.

The overflow is dead silent. The only noise I hear is a slight humming from my skimmer which I hope will go away when the skimmer pump breaks in more.

And my wife wants a cat but I told her no cuz I have another two nano tanks that I run with no covers and I dont want the cat to go fishing =P.

• Like 1

I already have a Large UPS and will invest in the Ecotech powerhead backup... Where I live we loose power pretty much every storm that comes through. I also invested in 4 solar panels, 1 rechargeable radio/battery/cell phone charger. used it 3 times in the past 2 months haha.

I am pretty sure I am going to go with the DC skimmer you chose or a Reef Octopus, but cant decide. another interest is GFO or ozone.

Here was my take on it. My skimmer doesn't have an input line for water so I had to have it near the pump

so clean! now i regret getting such a giant skimmer...hahah. I love how you separated out the reactor. I want to do the exact same thing. what's that probe holder?

so clean! now i regret getting such a giant skimmer...hahah. I love how you separated out the reactor. I want to do the exact same thing. what's that probe holder?

The probe holder is dosing tubes. So I want a single glass baffle, the same length of the others, to go front to back. Space for skimmer and reactor. Then the rest refugium!

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-23%20at%208.53.2

• Like 1

awesome thanks!

Last red sea reefer sump inspiration..

Oh man. This guy was using an external ATO and uses the factory ATO container before the baffles as a refugium! Perhaps I will see how this fits later.

ccd2c9003a2a903c761757e650874099_zps3gya

• Like 2