ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Soooo....a quick water change turned into 5 hours ordeal...

1. Found zoa nudibranch eggs on a zoa frag. Tossed it. I hate zoa nudis. FML. Not this again.
  2. Flowerpot is dying. Maybe the clown is stressing it too much so I moved it to the other corner to let it recover
  3. Discovered my dosing tubes been stuck or something because there's a chunk of alk deposit along the glass in the overflow chamber. Can't even scrape it off.

Otherwise, all is good.

• Cleaned out the sump and removed a lot of detritus
  • Put all the Matrix Biomedia into a breeder net instead of individual media bags to tidy up the sump.
  • Moved some other corals around

And I got 2 cleaner shrimps and 3 bartlett anthias. Dont yell at me.

• Like 5

Good luck with the bartletts. My largest female turned male and killed the other 3 within 3 months :(

what?! i hope that doesn't happen to me. These bartletts are tiny and all female. I am hoping they will join the current lyretail harem and follow the big male around.

Reefwise?

Aquapros gave me a good deal on them =P.

• Like 1

Sweet! Those guys always give a good deal

yea, they always knock a few dollars off their list price

Hope the anthias thrive for you.

Any issues from the spill?

Thanks! They are eating like pigs. The store had them for 2-3 weeks and eating frozen already. No issues from the spill that I can tell. The mat seems to be water resistant so that's why most of the water leaked out.

• Like 2

Soooo....a quick water change turned into 5 hours ordeal...

1. Found zoa nudibranch eggs on a zoa frag. Tossed it. I hate zoa nudis. FML. Not this again.
  2. Flowerpot is dying. Maybe the clown is stressing it too much so I moved it to the other corner to let it recover
  3. Discovered my dosing tubes been stuck or something because there's a chunk of alk deposit along the glass in the overflow chamber. Can't even scrape it off.

Otherwise, all is good.

• Cleaned out the sump and removed a lot of detritus
  • Put all the Matrix Biomedia into a breeder net instead of individual media bags to tidy up the sump.
  • Moved some other corals around

And I got 2 cleaner shrimps and 3 bartlett anthias. Dont yell at me.

Photos! Of the new beings! how much of the biomatrix are you using?

• Like 2

Thanks! They are eating like pigs. The store had them for 2-3 weeks and eating frozen already. No issues from the spill that I can tell. The mat seems to be water resistant so that's why most of the water leaked out.

Good to hear ! Hopefully things start going better !

Man I love anthias but am not sure I can keep up with daily (or twice daily) feedings. I'm bad with those :(

All the time you spend on NR and you can not remember to toss some food in the tank :blink:

• Like 1

All the time you spend on NR and you can not remember to toss some food in the tank :blink:

Well actually with the 45 AIO it was like that since a "feeding" was a 20 minute endeavour- shut the pumps, ATO, skimmer, etc.

But now my return pump has a "PAUSE" button! 15 minutes. Just press it and toss in a cube- its awesome.

• Like 1

Photos! Of the new beings! how much of the biomatrix are you using?

1L right now but i have another L coming soon.

Well actually with the 45 AIO it was like that since a "feeding" was a 20 minute endeavour- shut the pumps, ATO, skimmer, etc.

But now my return pump has a "PAUSE" button! 15 minutes. Just press it and toss in a cube- its awesome.

I feed with return pump on, gyre off. I try not to turn off and on the return pump because it scares the shit out of the fish and the water level in the overflow tends to change when I do that. Plus anthias love chasing after food.

• Like 2

I feed with return pump on, gyre off. I try not to turn off and on the return pump because it scares the shit out of the fish and the water level in the overflow tends to change when I do that. Plus anthias love chasing after food.

But then it sucks food into the sump, no?

How does it "scare the fish" any more than turning the gyre on and off? I don't understand. The overflow level balances out again after 5 minutes or so in my experience if you don't add any water or adjust it.

• Like 1

1L right now but i have another L coming soon.

It seems all my fish love chasing after food as well. I keep the return on and turn off the powerheads too. Mine also freak when i turn on the return too. Poor chromis turn all blotchy and hide in the tonga for a good 15 minutes :lol:

• Like 1

But then it sucks food into the sump, no?

How does it "scare the fish" any more than turning the gyre on and off? I don't understand. The overflow level balances out again after 5 minutes or so in my experience if you don't add any water or adjust it.

i feed little increments so it doesn't go everywhere. fish eats fast. then i add more.

gyre on / off is very gentle. return pump on / off is crazy loud and water spills out the return and creates bubble. you may not have that problem though since you run DC pump.

It seems all my fish love chasing after food as well. I keep the return on and turn off the powerheads too. Mine also freak when i turn on the return too. Poor chromis turn all blotchy and hide in the tonga for a good 15 minutes :lol:

hahah...same here. all the fish hides under the bridge. probably the only time they all get along.

• Like 2

Since everyone showing off their sump today, here's mine. I plan to sell the BRS reactor and convert the front to a fuge. Will cut up some eggcrate to create a basket and got a IM MagnaFudge light from DrsFosterandSmith for $50 - 20% off = $40. They normally sell for $60-$65.

25079447631_4e14182135_z.jpg

• Like 9

Since everyone showing off their sump today, here's mine. I plan to sell the BRS reactor and convert the front to a fuge. Will cut up some eggcrate to create a basket and got a IM MagnaFudge light from DrsFosterandSmith for $50 - 20% off = $40. They normally sell for $60-$65.

25079447631_4e14182135_z.jpg

WOAH :wub: That's one clean looking sump! And very organized!

• Like 1

I did spend hours cleaning it!

Speaking of sumps, I was looking into the baffle kit again. The refugium seems to be laid out so that all the water will proceed into the skimmer chamber before the pump... Think that will prevent pods and such from getting into the display? As a means of nutrient export it looks good but not sure for pods.

11236449_10153815341092481_1101065792368

• Like 1