inTank Media Baskets

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

They need a massive tank. They get massive.

I actually talked to the fish store dude (Who does NOT push fish at all, he's really kind and smart) and he said in all his years servicing tanks and selling/seeing chevrons he has neither seen a chevron grow over 5" nor lose their colors in an aquarium. He wasn't trying to push the fish either, he still recommended the (much cheaper) Kole over the Chevron.

I actually talked to the fish store dude (Who does NOT push fish at all, he's really kind and smart) and he said in all his years servicing tanks and selling/seeing chevrons he has neither seen a chevron grow over 5" nor lose their colors in an aquarium. He wasn't trying to push the fish either, he still recommended the (much cheaper) Kole over the Chevron.

only one way to find out. you need to get one.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

FTS (fuzzy cuz the return pump is on)

24636795383_6bdf3552fd_c.jpg

I tried to see the EXIF data on the photo to see if I could make a recommendation, but you removed it when you saved it :)

What camera settings were you using? And what camera/lens?

I tried to see the EXIF data on the photo to see if I could make a recommendation, but you removed it when you saved it :)

What camera settings were you using? And what camera/lens?

Nikon D7000 with 24-120mm f4. It's fuzzy cuz the return pump is on and my shutter speed was low. ISO already at 1600 so didn't want to bump it up even more. Aperture was f5.6 I believe.

chipmunkofdoom2

This is my first time seeing this tank, ninja, but I'm literally stunned. This is absolutely amazing. I can't think of a single thing I'd change. Definitely a setup to envy and to use as a benchmark.

jedimasterben

Nikon D7000 with 24-120mm f4. It's fuzzy cuz the return pump is on and my shutter speed was low. ISO already at 1600 so didn't want to bump it up even more. Aperture was f5.6 I believe.

Damn, 1600 ISO and f5.6? Were your lights dimmed down? Should've been able to get a pretty good shutter speed.

Ninja -did you buy the three firefish together? Do they get along well with your Midas?

yes I did! They normally don't swim that far up. They only did that cuz I turned off the Gyre, and they think it's feeding time =P. Most of the time, they hover by the blastos. There's a hole behind the blastos that they dart into if they are scared. They get along well with all my fish. But during feeding, they let the male anthias and midas get most of the food first.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I have to take tank pics when all other lights are off or I get crazy reflections in the photos =(.

I do, as well, at least for FTS and such. Is there no way to manually turn the AP700 up?

I do, as well, at least for FTS and such. Is there no way to manually turn the AP700 up?

I can but then the sand and bottom of the tank gets super washed out. The light was already running at 65%. I will try one tonight at 100% =P.

yes I did! They normally don't swim that far up. They only did that cuz I turned off the Gyre, and they think it's feeding time =P. Most of the time, they hover by the blastos. There's a hole behind the blastos that they dart into if they are scared. They get along well with all my fish. But during feeding, they let the male anthias and midas get most of the food first.

I think firefish are gorgeous! I just did a painting for someone of a firefish and didn't realize you had three until today!

jedimasterben

I can but then the sand and bottom of the tank gets super washed out. The light was already running at 65%. I will try one tonight at 100% =P.

What do you use for post processing? Lightroom should be able to tone down the sand with the 'highlights' slider :)

• Like 1

I think firefish are gorgeous! I just did a painting for someone of a firefish and didn't realize you had three until today!

They are one of my favs! Unfortunately, they never did well in my nano. I tried a few and they manage to jump out even with a lid since the tank is so shallow. I am glad they are doing well in this big tank.

What do you use for post processing? Lightroom should be able to tone down the sand with the 'highlights' slider :)

I use Lightroom. Will have to try the highlights slider.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I use Lightroom. Will have to try the highlights slider.

Highlights and shadows are lifesavers lol. I only recently started playing around with them - they've made me realize that I've lost so many shots due to not knowing how to use them!

• Like 2

No you need one :lol: My LFS gets ones in that are about 2 inches or so every once in a while.

Picking up a yellow coris tomorrow =). Something is going on with my stylo and starburst monti. They look really stressed. But the other SPS are fine. Hope they perk up tomorrow after a water change. Will do a 15 gallon change this time.

How far away exactly from the wall socket do you have your tank with the power cord plugged in? Also, is this thing possible to move yourself with a few buddies or do you need a legit team?