Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

I have the Gyre 130 on 50% right now. I think there isn't a crevice on the flat rock for them to attach to so they keep moving to the edge of the rock or detaching themselves. Oh well. Time for happy photos.

New FTS. I moved a purple gorg from the Spec V over. Not sure if I will keep it where it is right now.

25077917425_02ee07cd99_c.jpg

This green with blue polyps monti has really colored up since I moved it from the nano.

25077915605_b53f6bff21_c.jpg

Clowns photobombing wellso

25077908005_bfaebd5551_c.jpg

My sad nem rock...from 7 to 3.

24710252919_9655bc7a09_c.jpg

Hey how are you liking the Gyre 130? Im not happy with the flow from one MP40

They certainly do have plenty of room, can't imagine why they'd leave but half of mine liked the rocks the other half preferred sand.

yea, i will try again for sure next time VIP gets some nice ones for $20. Their current selection is kinda meh.

Hey how are you liking the Gyre 130? Im not happy with the flow from one MP40

Add another MP40 to the other side for random flow. I do not like the Gyre 130. I have it on constant mode and rather have more random flow. It is strong though and will push water to the other side of the tank.

Add another MP40 to the other side for random flow. I do not like the Gyre 130. I have it on constant mode and rather have more random flow. It is strong though and will push water to the other side of the tank.

Thats the plan, but they're expensive haha.

Female anthias not eating. Hmm...just like the last one that died. Also seeing some white spots on the yellow tang. Ich??? damn damn damn.

Good news, D700 skimmer came today. It's freaking huge!! I hope it fits in the sump. I may not be able to run the reactor with this in there...blah.

• Like 2

Female anthias not eating. Hmm...just like the last one that died. Also seeing some white spots on the yellow tang. Ich??? damn damn damn.

Good news, D700 skimmer came today. It's freaking huge!! I hope it fits in the sump. I may not be able to run the reactor with this in there...blah.

Bigass skimmer! Crossing my fingers it's not ich, that would suck. I'm tempted to get a yellow or Scopa tang with some store credit I have but that's my concern.

• Like 1

Bigass skimmer! Crossing my fingers it's not ich, that would suck. I'm tempted to get a yellow or Scopa tang with some store credit I have but that's my concern.

scopas are nice. i hope it's not ich too. i am looking into getting a UV for future

• Like 2

scopas are nice. i hope it's not ich too. i am looking into getting a UV for future

UVs work for ich? I have one but thought they were just for bacterial blooms and algae

• Like 1

UVs work for ich? I have one but thought they were just for bacterial blooms and algae

It can kill ich in the water column. Suppose to help prevent spread of ich if one fish is infected. It wont cure ich but it can suppress it somewhat. At least that's what I read.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

It can kill ich in the water column. Suppose to help prevent spread of ich if one fish is infected. It wont cure ich but it can suppress it somewhat. At least that's what I read.

While technically true, a UV sterilizer capable of level two sterilization will prevent the parasites from reproducing, it can only affect those that get passed through it, which is a relatively small percentage. Even a very oversized sterilizer won't be able to fix the problem and more than likely will just carry on as usual.

• Like 2

Oh no! I didn't want to like this post, but then I liked it because you got your skimmer.

Keep us posted on the fishies! The photos look awesome and I love that blue polyp cap!

Like annette, half my nems like the sand up against a rock and the others seem to prefer planting themselves on the tonga branches. I always start them out in the sand though.

• Like 1

I lost the expensive tiny pink nem. No idea where it went. Then today, the red and green nem decided to go for a ride in the current into the mouth of the torch. I yanked it out after I saw it after dinner but I am afraid it's too far gone...sigh. I fragged the pink acro but it's not looking too hot.

In happier news, got a nice size setosa from a local reefer along with a frag of mystic sunset monti. Still looking to get more fish, hopefully next weekend.

Also, Happy V-Day everyone! My wife spent most of the day napping with 6 dogs. We have 3 of our own, fostering 1, and dogsitting 2. I finally dragged her out to a movie and dinner around 4pm.

24403619504_7451e49cd0_c.jpg

Love the floors in this room. Great contrast with the stark, modern furnishings. Need a thick, white shag rug under that couch!

• Like 1

While technically true, a UV sterilizer capable of level two sterilization will prevent the parasites from reproducing, it can only affect those that get passed through it, which is a relatively small percentage. Even a very oversized sterilizer won't be able to fix the problem and more than likely will just carry on as usual.

This is one recommended by a local reefer.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5NLZXI/ref=s9_simh_gw_g86_i3_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=167PEMTGFMMR73WD4VNQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Stupid question, can it be submerged into the sump or do I have to mount it to the stand somehow?

Oh no! I didn't want to like this post, but then I liked it because you got your skimmer.

Keep us posted on the fishies! The photos look awesome and I love that blue polyp cap!

No more white spots on yellow tang so it was probably just detritus or something. Anthias still not eating so I will treat with prazipro after water change this weekend.

Amazing!...that monti will be great :)

Thanks! I had it for a year now with little growth and dull color. So glad it is doing better in the big tank.

Ninja I love your tank! I think the Red Sea will be what I get when I upgrade after college. Good luck with your tank(s) it is amazing

Thanks! The reefer is a great tank, you will love it.

Love the floors in this room. Great contrast with the stark, modern furnishings. Need a thick, white shag rug under that couch!

Dogs. Piss. Everywhere. We foster a lot and often times the rescues from puppy mills are not potty trained. We went through like 3 rugs in our previous condo so no more rugs for us.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

This is one recommended by a local reefer.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5NLZXI/ref=s9_simh_gw_g86_i3_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=167PEMTGFMMR73WD4VNQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Stupid question, can it be submerged into the sump or do I have to mount it to the stand somehow?

That is the one I have. Buy a legit Philips lamp for it and you're good to go. It is plumbed inline, it cannot be suberged. Also, it is about two feet long, I doubt your sump could fit it lol

• Like 2

That is the one I have. Buy a legit Philips lamp for it and you're good to go. It is plumbed inline, it cannot be suberged. Also, it is about two feet long, I doubt your sump could fit it lol

Order placed. Guess I will mount it above the sump somehow. Another question for you, I set up the D700 skimmer tonight. It's pretty noisy...a constant whirring sound. Normal during break in period? Will be more silent later?

jedimasterben

Order placed. Guess I will mount it above the sump somehow. Another question for you, I set up the D700 skimmer tonight. It's pretty noisy...a constant whirring sound. Normal during break in period? Will be more silent later?

Mine came with a D2000 pump and it was silent, but my DC-6000 and DCT-12000 both had a break in period. I'd give it a bit of time and see if it quiets down.

Also, here is a link to the lamp: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/56446/AU-PLL55WTUV.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=AU-PLL55WTUV&utm_content=Plug+In+Compact+-+Ultraviolet+Germicidal&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=CjwKEAiA9JW2BRDxtaq2ruDg22oSJACgtTxcif5ysYqKSRohRZfRgShT8bDglwazaYcqmxqSXSCHXhoCbVrw_wcB

It blows the stock one out of the water.

• Like 2

Mine came with a D2000 pump and it was silent, but my DC-6000 and DCT-12000 both had a break in period. I'd give it a bit of time and see if it quiets down.

Also, here is a link to the lamp: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/56446/AU-PLL55WTUV.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=AU-PLL55WTUV&utm_content=Plug+In+Compact+-+Ultraviolet+Germicidal&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=CjwKEAiA9JW2BRDxtaq2ruDg22oSJACgtTxcif5ysYqKSRohRZfRgShT8bDglwazaYcqmxqSXSCHXhoCbVrw_wcB

It blows the stock one out of the water.

I dont think it's the pump that's noisy. I think it's the air silencer on the skimmer or something. I will let it run for a couple more days.

I ended up cancelling the Amazon order. I measured the stand and 2 feet is too long for me to mount the UV light where I want it. I may order the smaller 36W instead.

http://smile.amazon.com/SunSun-CUV-136-Light-Sterilizer-Clarifier/dp/B00CQVJJRQ/ref=sr_1_6?srs=12660340011&ie=UTF8&qid=1455852227&sr=8-6&keywords=uv+sterilizer

• Like 1

Here's the D700 compared to Curve 5. The Curve 5 is actually pretty nice. For a week, it was producing thick smelly skimmate at a good rate. But after that, the skimmate is only tea like. I don't think it's because my nutrient level is low since I have to scrape the glass daily and there's algae on the rocks. Oh well, I wanted a bigger skimmer anyways since I plan to stock a lot more fish soon.

Thanks Jedimasterben again for the recommendation.

24824297230_78f96e0832.jpg

• Like 9