Cultivated Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Nems are here. I should have bought more!!!! they look as good as the pics on VIP. Only negative is they are tiny compared to my other RFA that I got long time ago from another vendor. Maybe they will open up more once settled. They are like half dollar size. And the more expensive $30 one I got is the smallest...blah.

Not all are mine =P. Kimberbee coming over later to pick some up.

24344103649_997c0f080b_z.jpg

Kimberbee picked this one out. Never seen color like this, dark teal / blue.

24083602524_90920733d3_z.jpg

Clown playing in the flowerpot. I am pretty proud of this photo =).

24593985212_6f7a7cda8c_z.jpg

Blasto closeup for Gena

24416253020_75be2d3d91_z.jpg

Starburst monti growing well

24711797405_78e8044303_z.jpg

Gonipora been with me for 2 years now. Almost lost the frag a year ago but it has rebound well.

24685580686_f7b2745131_z.jpg

Duncans

24685592536_6b6f3553da_z.jpg

Damn ninja,this things way awesome. The rfa collection is sweet. And, the clown in the flowerpot coral is way cool. :)
  • Like 3

Never heard of them until now, I may have to drive over there after seeing your nems lol.

And banggai's would look great, maybe even some pajama cardinals if you like that temperament

oh man, lucky you that you live close enough to drive there. Their website is VIPReef.com .

Lineatus wrasse!

lol, $200???

ooor, screw the fish and buy all the NEMS!!!!

I say this after I picked up another 2 this weekend.. :D

They are addicting!

Damn those nems look sweet. I particularly like the pic of the clown in the flowerpot.

Thanks! Are they super expensive by you?

The new nems look great! I love the fts of your tank.

Thanks! The tank is filling up nicely =).

Damn ninja,this things way awesome. The rfa collection is sweet. And, the clown in the flowerpot coral is way cool. :)

Thanks!!

• Like 4
jedimasterben

I showed my wife all the choices and she picked the one spot foxface. I guess it matches the yellow / orange theme of the other fish too. Gonna try and find a small one this weekend =).

Edit: nm, just read their spines are poisonous and they may get aggressive with hand in tank. I mess with the tank all the time so no thank you. Back to square one.

If you do manage to scare one enough for it to not just flee and hide in/under/behind a rock and have it turn to you (which is really unlikely), the sting is about like a bee sting, it's really not that bad. For me, I was working in the tank and decided to move a rock that the rabbitfish was pressed up onto hiding from me lol, and i managed to stick myself with its spine. I didn't really feel more than a little prick (I am diabetic, so I do that several times a day), and my finger was numb for a bit, but that was it. That was also when the rabbit was new to the tank - after a while, it wouldn't really hide when I had my hands in the tank unless I was moving stuff around. It would actually follow my hand around if I was cleaning the glass because it wanted to eat the sheets of algae that the scraper makes lol

I think if I can find a juvie, the next one I'm going to get is Siganus magnifica, but I did love my S. doliatus. :)

IMG_9808.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks! Are they super expensive by you?

To be honest, I have never seen rock flower nems at any of the LFS that I visit, haven't even seen then online. I guess you could say they are pretty foreign to me. I don't believe that they are native to Australia which would probably be why. It would be nice to get a few nice ones though if the opportunity ever arose.
  • Like 2

It will bounce back in no time. Which neighborhood in Chicago are you in?

I'm in the NW Suburbs, Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates border. So I guess technically not as cool as a Chicagoan lol

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Damn, never heard of a foxface before - very nice looking fish but venomous? Err.. nope. nope!!

Do you keep any palythoa in your tank? If so, you have a significantly higher chance of dying from that than you have of being stung by a rabbitfish (and surviving to tell the tale lol).

• Like 3

Do you keep any palythoa in your tank? If so, you have a significantly higher chance of dying from that than you have of being stung by a rabbitfish (and surviving to tell the tale lol).

Oh seriously?!! Yup I've had a ton 100+ polyps in my Spec tank!! I was always cautious of putting my hand in the tank if I ever had a cut or open wound etc.. I was aware of that toxin! That's crazy to think the small little Zoa is more dangerous, wow!! :o

jedimasterben

Oh seriously?!! Yup I've had a ton 100+ polyps in my Spec tank!! I was always cautious of putting my hand in the tank if I ever had a cut or open wound etc.. I was aware of that toxin! That's crazy to think the small little Zoa is more dangerous, wow!! :o

No, not zoanthids, palythoa. The Zoanthid genus doesn't make any palytoxin, only Palythoa do.

• Like 2

No, not zoanthids, palythoa. The Zoanthid genus doesn't make any palytoxin, only Palythoa do.

Then perhaps not... :wacko: I'm still alive though. What is it that Zoa's can give off that's toxic!? I read online so much that the Zoa's could produce the palytoxin? :closedeyes:

If you do manage to scare one enough for it to not just flee and hide in/under/behind a rock and have it turn to you (which is really unlikely), the sting is about like a bee sting, it's really not that bad. For me, I was working in the tank and decided to move a rock that the rabbitfish was pressed up onto hiding from me lol, and i managed to stick myself with its spine. I didn't really feel more than a little prick (I am diabetic, so I do that several times a day), and my finger was numb for a bit, but that was it. That was also when the rabbit was new to the tank - after a while, it wouldn't really hide when I had my hands in the tank unless I was moving stuff around. It would actually follow my hand around if I was cleaning the glass because it wanted to eat the sheets of algae that the scraper makes lol

I think if I can find a juvie, the next one I'm going to get is Siganus magnifica, but I did love my S. doliatus. :)

Hmm...maybe I will get one then. I have to put my entire arm into the tank when moving corals around so that's why I am hesitant to get one. My yellow tang also follows me around now when I stir things up or scrape the glass. It's kind of cute.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Then perhaps not... :wacko: I'm still alive though. What is it that Zoa's can give off that's toxic!? I read online so much that the Zoa's could produce the palytoxin? :closedeyes:

Zoanthids and Palythoa are in two different families, so while similar, they are not too much alike. :) Zoanthids contain nematocysts and can sting the corals around it but they don't really pose a threat to us.

• Like 1

To be honest, I have never seen rock flower nems at any of the LFS that I visit, haven't even seen then online. I guess you could say they are pretty foreign to me. I don't believe that they are native to Australia which would probably be why. It would be nice to get a few nice ones though if the opportunity ever arose.

They are native to Caribbean I think. So same as our Florida Ricordeas. We should trade corals...acros for rfas.

Awesome pictures, the colors on the nems are great, oranges show up very well under all kinds of light.

Thanks Kat!

I'm in the NW Suburbs, Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates border. So I guess technically not as cool as a Chicagoan lol

You been to Beyond to Reef in Schaumburg? I go there often. They have pretty nice stuff, a little expensive but good variety.

• Like 3

Hmm...maybe I will get one then. I have to put my entire arm into the tank when moving corals around so that's why I am hesitant to get one. My yellow tang also follows me around now when I stir things up or scrape the glass. It's kind of cute.

You're practically going for a swim each time you do some tank work :lol::D

Are you sure about that? Ive always heard that they just dont contain as much palyotoxin. Go chew one up like bubblegum and get back to me.

• Like 3

Ok so after googling it i do admit that you are partially correct Ben. Palythoa is a genus in the order zoantheria. Therefore, not all zoanthids contain palyotoxin, only the ones in the genus palythoa. The hard part is, it is very hard to determine which zoanthids are actually in the genus palythoa so you really need to jsut assume that all are and be careful.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Ok so after googling it i do admit that you are partially correct Ben. Palythoa is a genus in the order zoantheria. Therefore, not all zoanthids contain palyotoxin, only the ones in the genus palythoa. The hard part is, it is very hard to determine which zoanthids are actually in the genus palythoa so you really need to jsut assume that all are and be careful.

Actually, it is incredibly simple to tell the difference. Zoanthids are smooth, palythoa are bumpy or rough because they incorporate calcium carbonate into their mats and stalks. There are no zoanthids in the palythoa genus. :)

• Like 3

A not so great pic of the scape. Minimum scape. Still have 20+ lbs of rock left...haha. Can't wait to get a light over this.

22943516781_6c980cce80_c.jpg

How many LBS sand is that? I like it

• Like 2

High probability of spending lots of money this weekend. LFS just posted an update with clams, leopard wrasse, wellso, and more. All the stuff I want!

How many LBS sand is that? I like it

I have no idea...hahah. Got some used sand from a local in a big styofoam box. I am guessing around 40lbs or so. It's actually even thinner now cuz I keep sucking up sand when I vacuum during a water change with an oversized siphon. I am not a fan of deep sand bed. I keep just a thin layer for aesthetic reason.

Did you pick up yours yet???

• Like 6

High probability of spending lots of money this weekend. LFS just posted an update with clams, leopard wrasse, wellso, and more. All the stuff I want!

I have no idea...hahah. Got some used sand from a local in a big styofoam box. I am guessing around 40lbs or so. It's actually even thinner now cuz I keep sucking up sand when I vacuum during a water change with an oversized siphon. I am not a fan of deep sand bed. I keep just a thin layer for aesthetic reason.

Did you pick up yours yet???

Yes... It's in the car. Holy ####. It's heavy. And there are MILLIONS of ####ing wires everywhere from the apex... Dude must have put over 2k just in that. Probably going to sell the apex stuff and start slow...

• Like 2