Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Maybe seemed fine but you never really know.

This hobby throws curve balls all the time :rolleyes: I have had fish just up and die for no reason and could never figure it out.....

I came home today to a white stick :( Yesterday my red dragon frag looked great well not tonight........

=(. i had to throw out my mini acro colony the other day. STN base up for no reason. The other acro right next to it is doing great. Sigh.

• Like 1

=(. i had to throw out my mini acro colony the other day. STN base up for no reason. The other acro right next to it is doing great. Sigh.

Yep I know how that goes......I had a swing a month ago and took out 2 pcs of SPS and they were maybe 3 inches tall......well the 8 inch green slimmer is still kicking......

• Like 2

How is alk and cal? You dosing how apex recommended. Alk from say midnight to 8 am and cal from noon to 8pm?
  • Like 2

How is alk and cal? You dosing how apex recommended. Alk from say midnight to 8 am and cal from noon to 8pm?

I stopped dosing Ca cuz my Ca is crazy high. Above 500ppm while my alk is low at 6.5. I blame the salt. I have the same issue in all 3 of the tanks.

But yes the Apex was setup to dose Alk and Ca during different times. I stagger the Alk so it dose every other hour.

I stopped dosing Ca cuz my Ca is crazy high. Above 500ppm while my alk is low at 6.5. I blame the salt. I have the same issue in all 3 of the tanks.

But yes the Apex was setup to dose Alk and Ca during different times. I stagger the Alk so it dose every other hour.

Man I've used reef crystals for 5 years now never with one problem from it. With the dos one of these days I plan to fine tune the dosing to every other hour for cal and alk. But seems to been working fine like this for the last few months.
  • Like 1

Man I've used reef crystals for 5 years now never with one problem from it. With the dos one of these days I plan to fine tune the dosing to every other hour for cal and alk. But seems to been working fine like this for the last few months.

that's what i did with the DOS. kinda annoying to create so many intervals but it's an one time setup.

Sorry :(.

Post a closeup of the blasto colony. That will make you (me) feel better :).

will do over the weekend! it's the brightest coral in the tank when only the blues are on.

• Like 2

Did you know you can setup the Apex to do this with the OSC command so you don't have to set up multiple intervals? There's even a website that will autogenerate the code for you: http://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php/

On mine, this entry doses calcium for 22 seconds at 45 minutes after the hour, every four hours:

Fallback OFF
OSC 045:00/000:22/194:38 Then ON
This one does alk every two hours, but only from midnight to noon while the lights are off:
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:22/119:38 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 23:59 Then OFF
  • Like 2

Do you use reef crystals? I've noticed that if I mix RC for longer than 2-3 hours, the alk drops really fast (12dKH down to about 8dkH). I've now made it a point to stop mixing before 3 hours.

• Like 1

Do you use reef crystals? I've noticed that if I mix RC for longer than 2-3 hours, the alk drops really fast (12dKH down to about 8dkH). I've now made it a point to stop mixing before 3 hours.

Yup, I use reef crystals. Even if you stop mixing before 3 hours, the problem will still exist when you add the water to your tank right?

Did you know you can setup the Apex to do this with the OSC command so you don't have to set up multiple intervals? There's even a website that will autogenerate the code for you: http://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php/

On mine, this entry doses calcium for 22 seconds at 45 minutes after the hour, every four hours:

Fallback OFF
OSC 045:00/000:22/194:38 Then ON
This one does alk every two hours, but only from midnight to noon while the lights are off:
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:22/119:38 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 23:59 Then OFF

pretty cool! will have to try this soon.

• Like 2

Yup, I use reef crystals. Even if you stop mixing before 3 hours, the problem will still exist when you add the water to your tank right?

pretty cool! will have to try this soon.

For some reason, the alk on newly mixed salt water will hold steady at 11-12dkH, even if I store it in a 1 gallon jug for a week. It's just the mixing that causes it to precipitate.

I have no idea why.

EDIT: Randy Holmes speculates that "A heater or pump (which typically gets warm) can initiate precipitation because calcium carbonate is less soluble in warmer water. That's why pumps and heaters get coated with calcium carbonate."

• Like 1

What !!!! I actually like the little buggers :lol:

You know you want more :P

:blush: I have an RFA addiction. Is there a group for that?

:( So frustrating. I had a similar problem with a poci colony. the thing was doing great and had grown a lot. One day I woke up and it RTN'd from the base up, everything else around it was fine. I was sad.

This one is begging you to take her home:

DSC_0171__21637.1453502566.1280.1280.jpg

OMG NINJA! I somehow missed this and thank goodness or I would've had another shipment coming from VIP :lol: I actually added 8 - yup, you read that right, 8 - to my cart yesterday but didn't pull the trigger and have not allowed myself to go back to VIP's site yet :lol:

Came home to a dead anthias. The one in the nano passed away. It was looking great and eating great. I dosed Prazipro last night. Maybe I overdosed? I followed the direction and added 1/4 teaspoon. I did a 20% water change on Sunday. Maybe I should have changed more water before redosing. Maybe I should have added it back to the main tank. Sigh.

:( So sorry, Ninja

this saturday! looking forward to it.

:happydance:

• Like 5

I do this all the time. I go "coral shopping" and add frags to my cart. I look over the cart, and exit out of the webpage. My tank is way to small to buy in bulk like that, I would have no where to put them. Not to mention that I really love my sps and thats pretty much what I have been adding to my cart. (you on the other hand have room for those nems ;) )

#noroomneedupgrade

8 - to my cart yesterday but didn't pull the trigger and have not allowed myself to go back to VIP's site yet :lol:

• Like 4

:blush: I have an RFA addiction. Is there a group for that?

OMG NINJA! I somehow missed this and thank goodness or I would've had another shipment coming from VIP :lol: I actually added 8 - yup, you read that right, 8 - to my cart yesterday but didn't pull the trigger and have not allowed myself to go back to VIP's site yet :lol:

Yeah you are here in the group and we encourage more buying :P

Yep I was on KPs site last night doing the same thing :lol: the had a killer white RFA and a few sponges and a gorgonian I was interested in.......

Ninja did you get your nems yet?

• Like 3

looks like someone made a big order on VIP nems...was it you???? hahahah. All the nice $20 ones out of stock.

I do this all the time. I go "coral shopping" and add frags to my cart. I look over the cart, and exit out of the webpage. My tank is way to small to buy in bulk like that, I would have no where to put them. Not to mention that I really love my sps and thats pretty much what I have been adding to my cart. (you on the other hand have room for those nems ;) )

#noroomneedupgrade

I do the same too. Good thing shipping is so expensive or I will be placing order online all the time.

Yeah you are here in the group and we encourage more buying :P

Yep I was on KPs site last night doing the same thing :lol: the had a killer white RFA and a few sponges and a gorgonian I was interested in.......

Ninja did you get your nems yet?

I been itching to buy some gorgs from KPA. Nems arriving tomorrow!

• Like 4

looks like someone made a big order on VIP nems...was it you???? hahahah. All the nice $20 ones out of stock.

I do the same too. Good thing shipping is so expensive or I will be placing order online all the time.

I been itching to buy some gorgs from KPA. Nems arriving tomorrow!

Not me this time!!!! I put a bunch in my cart and never actually bought them :o

• Like 2

Nems are here. I should have bought more!!!! they look as good as the pics on VIP. Only negative is they are tiny compared to my other RFA that I got long time ago from another vendor. Maybe they will open up more once settled. They are like half dollar size. And the more expensive $30 one I got is the smallest...blah.

Not all are mine =P. Kimberbee coming over later to pick some up.

24344103649_997c0f080b_z.jpg

Kimberbee picked this one out. Never seen color like this, dark teal / blue.

24083602524_90920733d3_z.jpg

Clown playing in the flowerpot. I am pretty proud of this photo =).

24593985212_6f7a7cda8c_z.jpg

Blasto closeup for Gena

24416253020_75be2d3d91_z.jpg

Starburst monti growing well

24711797405_78e8044303_z.jpg

Gonipora been with me for 2 years now. Almost lost the frag a year ago but it has rebound well.

24685580686_f7b2745131_z.jpg

Duncans

24685592536_6b6f3553da_z.jpg

• Like 12

They should be posting more since someone snatched a bunch of nice $20 ones a few days ago. I think we all know who that "someone" is....

I am actually waiting to hear from Frank as I am looking for a few certain ones. I wish I could go there as he has way more than pictured.....

• Like 1

Yey, Ninja! Now you know why I cried so hard when I lost mine. Look how gorgeous!!! The pics are real, doesn't doctor them up & the colors are incredible. They should open a little more once they relax some. Mine were usually a good half inch bigger once relaxed. I love the one kiddy corner the yellow. Hunter green w/ blue/navy inside w/ red. And your pics are outta this world. I can't wait to see more pics, especially of your RFAs.

• Like 1