Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Thanks, Dawn! I've been trying to follow your sump saga but am only half caught up :rolleyes: I need to check in and see how Adam and Eve are doing.

I know what you mean, I have become involved in so many folks' tank that it gets tough to keep up with everyone.

• Like 1

I've been struggling with algae in my frag tank - I think it may be bryopsis but I'm no expert. I can clean it up, I can dip frags in peroxide, but it always comes back eventually.

The evil favites frags have been especially vulnerable because they are really sensitive to peroxide. So I moved them into this tank just to see what would happen. I used a toothbrush to scrub off the worst of the algae, and three days later, the hermit crab went to town on one of the frags. I am happy with the results, to say the least. All that's left is just a little bit on the top edge of the skeleton. :happydance:

23164347845_423e1715a0_b.jpgEvil Favites - No More Algae by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 4

I hope it's not bryopsis. Hate that stuff. I will have to say though- that picture of the favia skeleton is pretty neat. I hope it makes a full recovery. It would be neat if you could update us every other week or so just to see how fast it comes back.

• Like 1

Hey Teeny, I am going to order my nanobox tide mini for my 10g IM Fusion. Did you go with the 9" gooseneck?

That's great! Yes, the smaller gooseneck - I think it was 9". Don't be shy about emailing or PM'ing Dave directly, He's very helpful and responsive.

Yesterday I changed water in three tanks. I definitely have MTS (multiple tank syndrome). Some day this tank is going to need to get bigger!

I spotted some baby limpets on the back wall the other night. I posted some pictures of a red limpet last year, but I haven't seen him in at least six months. Hopefully these will grow up and be as pretty as the last one.

23139445776_ffdd0e44bb_b.jpgBaby Limpets by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Very good looking nano. Love the montis.

Thanks for stopping by! Here's a current top down of the montis. It's challenging to keep them trimmed back in a 10g. They would completely shade the rest of the tank if I didn't keep after them :)

Edit: just noticed Fitzgerald photobombing in the back :wub:

22867977877_c35ce12190_b.jpgIM10 Top Down (Back Half) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Awesome as normal John. Post some of your SPS photos on the new thread I started. I would love your opinion.

Package is finally going to be inbound.

-Dave

Wow, thanks!!! You've been through so much lately, you are one of the true heroes of NR :flower:

The top down shows some pretty good SPS growth and color, especially the montis. Most of the acros are doing well, although the one at the bottom of the pic is stubbornly brown. I'm gradually getting a better handle on nutrient levels and I have hopes that it will improve soon! I'll take some macros soon and post them in your thread.

• Like 4

Pink/red??? oh wow. I thought they only came in grey/white/tan.

That's why I'm hoping the babies grow up like this one fingerscrossed

The shell underneath is grey/white but the flesh was such a pretty red.

• Like 1

So I made an embarrassing discovery tonight when I checked phosphates...I have the Hanna Phosphorus checker, and have always had very low readings in my tanks. I discontinued GFO several months ago to try to get up to a reasonable level, and the checker readings have gradually increased from 0, then 0.1, then 0.3 tonight.

But as I was doing the math to convert from Phosphorus to Phosphate (multiply by 3.066) and to convert from ppb to ppm (divide by 1000), I looked at my checker and realized it's the "high range" phosphorus checker! I thought I had bought the "low range" model that measures in ppb, but this one measures in ppm. No wonder my phosphates are always "too low"! :o

So with a reading of 0.3, my phosphates are actually .93 ppm. So the bad news is, I have high phosphates. The good news is, I can fix it and my corals should thank me.

I plan to go slow - I added 1/2 the amount of GFO recommended by the BRS reef calculator. I'll be checking levels daily and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I need to buy a LOW RANGE phosphorus checker. This explains so much...

• Like 3

FTS shot is pretty amazing as usual.......so that's how you tell it's a high or low range Hanna- ppm or ppb. I have no idea which one I have- I'll have to check. I've stopped using mine- I would do multiple test(2-3times) and they would vary greatly. I wasn't able to lock in a true level - do you see consistence in test ?

• Like 1

Mine says "PPM" at the top and "Phosphorus HR" at the bottom. Pretty obvious once I actually read the label on the checker :unsure:

I get consistent results but since it's a high range checker the precision isn't that great. The only readings I can take with this checker that would give me "good" results would be 0.1 (which would be about .3 ppm phosphate) or 0.0 which would be something less.

I've heard people complain about inconsistent reading in the low range checker, but others say theirs works fine. Some of it seems to be a lack of consistency in reagent batches, sensitivity of the checker to fingerprints or dirt on the vial, or just how hard you shake up the vial.

• Like 1

Mine says "PPM" at the top and "Phosphorus HR" at the bottom. Pretty obvious once I actually read the label on the checker :unsure:

I get consistent results but since it's a high range checker the precision isn't that great. The only readings I can take with this checker that would give me "good" results would be 0.1 (which would be about .3 ppm phosphate) or 0.0 which would be something less.

I've heard people complain about inconsistent reading in the low range checker, but others say theirs works fine. Some of it seems to be a lack of consistency in reagent batches, sensitivity of the checker to fingerprints or dirt on the vial, or just how hard you shake up the vial.

So I have the high also then it says PPM on the front- mine would mostly register 0 but then I would get spikes of .1,2 and up to 4 sometimes. I heard the reagent's age has a lot to do with it also. Sounds like I need a new phosphate checker ?
  • Like 1

Thanks, Kat, I had been wondering how it was that I had high nitrates, low phosphates, and yet still had good color in most of my sps. But high nitrates together with high phosphates make more sense - it's just the corals that like low nutrients that aren't coloring up.

Last check, nitrates were about 12 and phosphates were about 1. So my goal is to gradually lower both but not get too crazy :)

So I have the high also then it says PPM on the front- mine would mostly register 0 but then I would get spikes of .1,2 and up to 4 sometimes. I heard the reagent's age has a lot to do with it also. Sounds like I need a new phosphate checker

Is yours a phosphorus checker or a phosphate checker?

• Like 1

Thanks, Kat, I had been wondering how it was that I had high nitrates, low phosphates, and yet still had good color in most of my sps. But high nitrates together with high phosphates make more sense - it's just the corals that like low nutrients that aren't coloring up.

Last check, nitrates were about 12 and phosphates were about 1. So my goal is to gradually lower both but not get too crazy :)

Is yours a phosphorus checker or a phosphate checker?

Not sure- does it say on it....I'll have to check tonight? How can you tell- I am pretty sure it is phosphate