SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

They are all 'Blastos' (Blastomussa), but you are probably thinking of Blasotmussa wellsi, specifically. As you can see below there are a bunch of species in the Genus:

You're right, of course. I was thinking wellsi vs merletti, and got confused :rolleyes:

You're right, of course. I was thinking wellsi vs merletti, and got confused :rolleyes:

Happens to me all the time, especially with the 'florida' vs 'yuma' thing) :)

• Like 1

If I ever have to frag them I'll reserve the first frag for you :flower:

:wub:

I'm having good luck with my blastos this go around fingerscrossed. I think it's because they aren't getting buried in sand like in the past!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful tank! The intertwining scrolling Monti's is absolutely inspiring.

Thanks! I love the montis in this tank. The Idaho Grape grew from a very small frag I got from Gena's old tank. Her montis were awe inspiring :)

It's been a while since I've had time to post - things got busy at work again.

I've been keeping up on tank maintenance but I've had some challenges with this tank over the least month. Another acro RTN'd overnight :( I think I may have managed to save a tiny frag. I've got it on a frag plug and I'm waiting to see if it recovers. The rest of the acros are doing OK, and some are encrusting, but some have turned mostly brown again.

I also made the mistake of fragging my GSP and putting the frags near some of the encrusting corals, which got stung. There's enough left alive that they will eventually come back, but I hadn't realized the GSP could be so aggressive.

The worst problem I'm having now, though, is that the rics are not doing well. They don't seem to like the new location on the ric rock as much as their old location, but, even worse, they seem to have some kind of disease or condition that's making them bleach out. It's not the typical bleaching you get from too much or too little light. It seems more like something that spreads from one point of the ric out to the rest of the ric. And it's gradually spreading from one ric to the next. Interestingly enough, it hasn't killed any of them. They just all look like ghosts :(

Hopefully, I'll post some pictures tomorrow to update what going on!

the ric bleaching sounds like reaction to stress. when i moved my tanks, the corals didn't do so well including the rics. things looked a lot better after i started dosing MicroBacter 7. could be a coincidence but i am not gonna complain. it's relatively cheap too.

• Like 1

I like your rfa's yellow/green and the design inside. For me it's not all about color. I've always liked the whites.

Thanks - me too! The contrast between the green and white is simple and pretty :wub:

the ric bleaching sounds like reaction to stress. when i moved my tanks, the corals didn't do so well including the rics. things looked a lot better after i started dosing MicroBacter 7. could be a coincidence but i am not gonna complain. it's relatively cheap too.

I use MicroBacter 7 too, but not consistently. I need to get back on the wagon.

I've seem rics get stressed out before, but this seems different. One of the rics had this problem before I moved any of them, and now they all are gradually getting it.

Here are a couple that have been affected the longest. It started with the one on the far left and moved to the one next to it, which still has a little color left on the opposite side. The orange ric in the lower right of the picture is getting bleached too, but it started a month or two after the first ones. The blue one in the upper right is just starting to bleach now.

22520735889_e6fd09e99f_b.jpgBleaching Rics by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's a closeup of the orange ric head that's started bleaching. You can see it's gradually taking over but it's not consistent at all in the pattern it follows.

22494525617_6b9451b3e1_b.jpgBleachng Orange Ric by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I'm wondering if I should call Ghostbusters...

• Like 2

I did some Googling and didn't find anything other than a few other people who had the same problem but got no answers.

I'm going to try feeding heavier - target feeding every day. It can't make things any worse.

What setting and power is your mp10 set to? I have mine on wave, power on the "third led" with long pulses. Seems nice, but I can't tell with no corals. This tank is surprisingly silent too. I thought the mp10 was going to be terrible, but after dismantling it and a thorough cleaning, it is silent.

• Like 1

I usually keep mine on reef crest, on the third led, too. The only downside is that all the pulse/wave/reef modes vary speed between "1 LED" and whatever the max you have it set on. So setting it on "3" means that the speed doesn't really vary a whole lot. But it seems to work well in my tank, and like you said, it's pretty much completely silent.

I do turn it up to 5 or 6 when I'm blowing off rocks and stirring up the sand, so that the detritus gets suspended and picked up by the filter.

• Like 1

From the 'Old School'...

For the Rics try some Iodine dosing. Basically, just want to keep levels slightly elevated above NSW values. Tends to help them cope with lighting changes, especially.

• Like 1

A little starfish came out of no where tonight and crawled around the ric rock. I haven't done any research to see if this is a Bad starfish or a Good starfish. I've really enjoyed all the hitchhikers that have come along with the live rock I used to start this tank.

22987369611_ec3046e938_b.jpgStarfish by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The acans have been getting nice and fluffy now that they have been moved away from the curlicue anenome. And they are growing new heads, so hopefully they will start filling in around the middle soom

22584083909_2bb7424eb1_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5

sooo what language do you program in??

All of my development is done in email now since I got promoted to Pointy Headed Boss :( All I do is architecture and standards and processes and point papers and lots and lots of Death by PowerPoint.

But I used to do a lot of C++, and bit of Java. The simulation software I helped write is well over a million lines of C++. Back in the day, though, I did the all-caps languages, though, like FORTRAN and COBOL and ADA. And Lisp. Lisp was cool :)

Markalot and I are both members of the old farts programmers club.

• Like 3

All of my development is done in email now since I got promoted to Pointy Headed Boss :( All I do is architecture and standards and processes and point papers and lots and lots of Death by PowerPoint.

But I used to do a lot of C++, and bit of Java. The simulation software I helped write is well over a million lines of C++. Back in the day, though, I did the all-caps languages, though, like FORTRAN and COBOL and ADA. And Lisp. Lisp was cool :)

Markalot and I are both members of the old farts programmers club.

Upper management...very nice. Make sure you add those nice transitions in your slides =P. I am in kind of the same boat in my current job. Small company so they promote people to management quick but I plan to get out soon and get back to writing more code. I remember Lisp from school. Not cool =P.

• Like 1

As I was getting ready to go to bed, I was able to catch a night shot with both clowns hanging out in the palys while one of the green banded gobies was chilling nearby.

I'm glad that the clowns host in practically everything and are always out and about, but it's hard on the zoas and palys. As my mom used to say, "This is why we can't have nice things!"

22988407361_54d9b41a3d_b.jpgSnuggly Clown by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6