Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Uh, oh, new page! The monti caps are doing really well. I especially like how the idaho grape is coming up inside the green.

You would never know that I broke off several large chunks about a month ago from both of them. I saved the frags in my frag tank, but they've lost their color. I'm still figuring out how to run the frag tank so that sps keeps color and I don't have tons of algae. Hopefully I can post some frags for sale some day...

20860117378_516caeeeb0_b.jpgMonti Caps by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This brings back good memories :wub:.

I don't know if your green cap will react like my season's greetings, but my two did fight. I'd find slime some mornings where the two touched. I'm sure your grape will do the same formation mine did...especially considering it's the same strain of monti :).

• Like 1

Lovely acan and ricordea garden... Do the rics sting the acans?

Yes, I'm afraid they do. You can see one of the acan heads is almost completely gone where it got stung by a ric in the previous page.

This brings back good memories :wub:.

I don't know if your green cap will react like my season's greetings, but my two did fight. I'd find slime some mornings where the two touched. I'm sure your grape will do the same formation mine did...especially considering it's the same strain of monti :).

No slime so far, but there's a perfect half circle where the green monti is growing around the purple gorgonian. :lol: I tried to get a picture of it but you can only really tell when the gorgonian isn't extended.

21102689255_f4512c7b3a_b.jpgGorgonian vs Monticap by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 3

Also, just thought I'd share some new things that make me happy. First, PE finally came out with a replacement for frozen cyclopeaze. PE Calanus seems to be pretty much the same stuff and it's great to feed almost everything that isn't a big fish. I've been putting one cube into a shot glass of tank water, and mixing in a pinch of reef roids. Then I use an eye dropper to target feed just about everything.

20478636084_74dc049aa3_b.jpg20150601_225306.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Also, I forget who posted about these, or what the technical term is for them, but they are the bomb! :haha:

They sell them at arts and crafts stores for weddings and parties. It was less than $20 for a pack of fifty bags. Now, instead of spending the time to empty and clean and reuse my carbon bags, I just throw the old one away, put in a tablespoon of Rox carbon, and tie the bag shut and throw it in the tank. Changing carbon now takes less than a minute :)

21093426742_1cb533c15f_b.jpg20150808_232243.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

Also, I forget who posted about these, or what the technical term is for them, but they are the bomb! :haha:

They sell them at arts and crafts stores for weddings and parties. It was less than $20 for a pack of fifty bags. Now, instead of spending the time to empty and clean and reuse my carbon bags, I just throw the old one away, put in a tablespoon of Rox carbon, and tie the bag shut and throw it in the tank. Changing carbon now takes less than a minute :)

21093426742_1cb533c15f_b.jpg20150808_232243.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've been using these! I think I spent $4 for a bag of 10 just to try them out. Nice and cheap! Perfect for little tanks!

• Like 3

Here's another old picture, of the green rock flower anenome back before it went MIA. I miss it :(

20913156700_394d77c39c_b.jpgRFA by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Love that :wub:. It moved up there on it's own?

OK, it's been over 35 years since I actually felt lust for a Star Wars toy. But my second childhood has officially arrived!

omgomgomgomgomgomghttp://video.vanityfair.com/watch/puppies-test-the-new-star-wars-bb-8 omgomgomgomgomgomg

Too cute! Maybe that will be the new "it" toy for Christmas :).
  • Like 1

Beautiful tank, I just love it!

Thanks, Jackie! I'm following your thread now - that 42g is absolutely beautiful. I hope my rics find a way to grow into a colony like yours have :)

Love that :wub:. It moved up there on it's own?

Too cute! Maybe that will be the new "it" toy for Christmas :).

Yes, I just looked in the tank one day and there it was :)

My wife says I can get the bb-8 if we get another puppy to play with it. She plays dirty :unsure:

Yep, I use same for Gertie's tank. Put 1 in each of the AC30 chambers and some floss. Thanks for the reminder. I need to put one in the 10g.

I think you were the one that posted about them? If so, thanks :flower:

that flower nem with monti pic is beautiful!

Thanks, Bunster! I'm loving all the pics of your tank. Those gobies are too cute :happy:

• Like 2

I took a couple shots of the frag tank this morning. Things have been up and down in this tank. I had the new light up way too high, and hair algae pretty much took things over. So I had a lot of bleached and faded corals. I've got the algae all cleaned up now, and the light is way down from the way I had it before. Things have improved a lot just over the past week.

20954737189_e4d07b43d7_b.jpgEvolve 4G Frag Tank FTS - 2015-09-04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

21149311291_ef46700550_b.jpgEvolve 4G Frag Tank Top Down - 2015-09-04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 3

I took a couple shots of the frag tank this morning. Things have been up and down in this tank. I had the new light up way too high, and hair algae pretty much took things over. So I had a lot of bleached and faded corals. I've got the algae all cleaned up now, and the light is way down from the way I had it before. Things have improved a lot just over the past week.

20954737189_e4d07b43d7_b.jpgEvolve 4G Frag Tank FTS - 2015-09-04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

21149311291_ef46700550_b.jpgEvolve 4G Frag Tank Top Down - 2015-09-04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Are you selling those caps?????

cnseekatz, I'm pretty sure I mispelled that, is looking for a frag of Idaho Grape!!!!!

Ooh I love all 3 of those zoa frags! Great FTS as well

Thanks! Some are leftovers from frags I put in the display tank. Others (the vice zoas) are ones that are recovering after almost dying when all the zoas in the 4g tank were crashing.

Are you selling those caps?????

cnseekatz, I'm pretty sure I mispelled that, is looking for a frag of Idaho Grape!!!!!

I will sell them once they recover a little more color, hopefully in a couple weeks!
  • Like 1

What camera and lens are you using teeny?

This one was taken with a Nikon D3100 body and a 35mm 1:1.8g lens. I was looking for just the lens on eBay and found a listing that included the body for about the cost of the lens if it was new. Score :)
  • Like 3

This one was taken with a Nikon D3100 body and a 35mm 1:1.8g lens. I was looking for just the lens on eBay and found a listing that included the body for about the cost of the lens if it was new. Score :)

Nice pickup. The 35mm is a great size because it equates to the old 50mm lens when on a film camera. I made the mistake of buying a 50mm before I knew this. :(

• Like 2