Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

reefernanoman

This one was taken with a Nikon D3100 body and a 35mm 1:1.8g lens. I was looking for just the lens on eBay and found a listing that included the bodjy for about the cost of the lens if it was new. Score :)

Great! I'm want to buy the 90mm macro lens f2.8 from Tamron for my Canon SL1. I have seen it used for like $250. But it won't be any time soon. On a side note, my SPS finally decided to stop dying on my fusion 10G! Some of them have actually colored up and grown.

• Like 2

Nice pickup. The 35mm is a great size because it equates to the old 50mm lens when on a film camera. I made the mistake of buying a 50mm before I knew this. :(

I have the 35, 50, and 85 f1.8. 35 is my fav. Small, sharp, perfect focal length.

• Like 2

Got back from a nice long weekend and of course work has been crazy to make up for it :angry:

However, the tank did fine - not too much algae and color is still developing slowly in the SPS.

The curlique anenome is getting bigger by the day. It now sticks all its tentacles in the acans every time I feed, stripping all the food out. Although it's very pretty, I just don't have room for it in this tank, unless I want to relocate all the acans further away, which means either a rescape, of at least adding a new rock up front to re-home the acans and rics. Plus I have no idea how to get rid of it...

I guess I could convert the acan rock to a softie rock, and put something in that can hold it's own against the curlicue. But that might create a chemical warfare situation and that would be bad...maybe I'll see if I can move the rics onto the rock up off the sand bed, and make a new rock for the acans. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears :)

Here's a shot of the acans with curlicue arms all over them (coming out from under the grape montipora):

21313319785_bb0f6c04cf_b.jpgAcans with Curlicue by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I have the 35, 50, and 85 f1.8. 35 is my fav. Small, sharp, perfect focal length.

Yeah, it's a nice lens. I can get closer with the macro, but it's almost impossible to get sharp pics with the macro without a tripod and remote shutter release.

Looks great! I like the vibrant gsp.

Thanks! It grows like crazy. I usually cut it in half every month or two to keep it under control :)

Great! I'm want to buy the 90mm macro lens f2.8 from Tamron for my Canon SL1. I have seen it used for like $250. But it won't be any time soon. On a side note, my SPS finally decided to stop dying on my fusion 10G! Some of them have actually colored up and grown.

I picked up my Tamron 90mm used on Ebay for $250 for my Nikon. It's a fantastic lens. As much as I like the 50mm, it's amazing how good the glass is on the Tamron. I can do an FTS from twelve feet away using the 90mm that looks better and has a little more detail and clarity that an FTS from six feet away using the 50mm. But it's a lot easier taking the shot from six feet away :)

I'm so glad to hear your SPS are finally doing better!

a few days late but congrats on the tank's birthday.

Wait, what? It's a been a year already?

No, I just checked. I started this tank in November last year. But thanks anyway :D

• Like 7

I took a few top down shots with the 50mm lens hand held. There's a shelf above the tank that blocks access to the tank. I can hold the camera over the back half of the tank but there's no room for my head, so I can't look through the viewfinder. So I can do point and shoot with automatic focus, but doing anything with the macro lens is almost impossible.

The sps is definitely coloring up nicely now. There are only a couple left that are mostly brown, and everything has at least a little bit of color developing.

21125236650_0f1227c5a1_b.jpgSPS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

21302684852_db952d09e4_b.jpgSPS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I'm really encouraged by how the zoas are starting to fill in. Now I just need to get some balance between the fast growing ones and the slow growing ones.

21125238380_e34a8380f7_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

I had to google what a curlique anemone is... very interesting indeed. Yes, taking overhead shots can be a pain... but you did a fine job there

Thanks! I think it would be much easier if I used one of the VR lenses, but my 35mm lens is non-VR. So I have to be very careful :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things got busy at work again, and I have another week of catching up to do on NR!

I lost one of the SPS I got from Zia to STN last week. No signs of any distress at all, just came home one day and boom! It was all white, nothing left at all :( Fortunately it was one the ones that wasn't really getting any color yet.

I'm trying to deal with the curlicue anenome which has been bothering all the acans. I'm trying to move the acans further away from the curlicue, which means moving the rics out of the way. So I'm putting all the rics on their own rock in front of the acans. That means I need a very low, mostly flat rock, but with enough nooks and crannies to give the rics places to snuggle into.

I ended up making a rock by gluing some dry rock frags together:

20988555394_d422b85756_b.jpgNaked Ric Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Then I pulled all the rics out of the tank, trimmed their frag plugs and rocks down a small as I could get them, and glued them all onto the rock. I also turned the flow and lighting down in hopes that they'll decide they like it there :unsure:

Here's how they look after a day of getting used to the new rock:

21620259941_c77c07debc_b.jpgNew Ric Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

Well, things got busy at work again, and I have another week of catching up to do on NR!

I lost one of the SPS I got from Zia to STN last week. No signs of any distress at all, just came home one day and boom! It was all white, nothing left at all :( Fortunately it was one the ones that wasn't really getting any color yet.

I'm trying to deal with the curlicue anenome which has been bothering all the acans. I'm trying to move the acans further away from the curlicue, which means moving the rics out of the way. So I'm putting all the rics on their own rock in front of the acans. That means I need a very low, mostly flat rock, but with enough nooks and crannies to give the rics places to snuggle into.

I ended up making a rock by gluing some dry rock frags together:

20988555394_d422b85756_b.jpgNaked Ric Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Then I pulled all the rics out of the tank, trimmed their frag plugs and rocks down a small as I could get them, and glued them all onto the rock. I also turned the flow and lighting down in hopes that they'll decide they like it there :unsure:

Here's how they look after a day of getting used to the new rock:

21620259941_c77c07debc_b.jpgNew Ric Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I like the outcome. Sorry for your loss.
  • Like 1

But... are you repurposing the curlique in any way? pest tank cube! You'll need a little beacon of light in your bathroom for heaven's sake. Tank here, tank there, tank everywhere!

• Like 4

Awesome job on the rubble rock !!! Sorry to hear about the sps man,that shit happens to me quite often sometimes.

But as usual,your acan's are looking fluffy and happy as ever. All of mine are deflated and hook horrible.. Idk why but it's upsetting for sure.

• Like 1

I like the outcome. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks! I just realized the SPS that STN'd was actually one of the ones that was coloring up nicely. :tears:

Well, at least it only happened to the one. I think maybe either the palys or the monti that's near it may have touched it and killed it. I'll have to keep a close eye out for the rest.

But... are you repurposing the curlique in any way? pest tank cube! You'll need a little beacon of light in your bathroom for heaven's sake. Tank here, tank there, tank everywhere!

Omigosh, I love the way you think :wub:

Maybe I'll convert the frag tank into a bathroom pest tank. I could hide the ATO and everything under the counter!

Hmmmm...I may have to come up with a better name than "Bathroom Pest Tank", though. That name just brings up all kinds of unfortunate images :lol:

Awesome job on the rubble rock !!! Sorry to hear about the sps man,that shit happens to me quite often sometimes.

But as usual,your acan's are looking fluffy and happy as ever. All of mine are deflated and hook horrible.. Idk why but it's upsetting for sure.

Thanks! The mysteries of SPS. At least they aren't as finicky as zoas seem to be for me :)

My acans aren't always fluffy, they cycle back and forth during the day. But it makes a huge difference for mine when I feed them. One mysis shrimp per head and 24 hours later, they're like balloons. If I don't feed them for a couple days, they shrink back up.

Sometimes when they're receded, I can't get them to eat big stuff my mysis. Then I just target feed a mix of reef roids and calanus shrimp (which are really tiny) with the pumps off. I leave it on them for ten or fifteen minutes and they almost always perk up the next day, even though I can't really see them eating anything.

• Like 2

Tank name: Curlique in the Crapper, Crappin' Curlique, Curlique Turd Tank.

I almost think I have to do this now just for the sake of the build thread name! I'm putting this on my bucket list - repurpose a small tank in the bathroom after I get a bigger tank.

And how ironic that you had trouble coming up with a name for Nameless and Shameless, yet you are totally inspired by by notional Crap Tank :lol:

• Like 1

I almost think I have to do this now just for the sake of the build thread name! I'm putting this on my bucket list - repurpose a small tank in the bathroom after I get a bigger tank.

And how ironic that you had trouble coming up with a name for Nameless and Shameless, yet you are totally inspired by by notional Crap Tank :lol:

Right! I know. I named a couple tanks or pets in this forum. Just can't for myself. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

See, and it makes sense because many people would think to send pests down the toilet!!

Come to think of it, I flush a fish or two every month from the 90g freshwater tank (lots of livebearers). I could just feed them to the curlicue!

Edit: dead fish, that is...