SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the shutdown has begun 😞

I've moved all the zoas and other loose frags from the bottom glass into the UNS60U, where they are doing just fine. The fish and the larger rocks are still here though.

I had a semi-major disaster the other night with the new JBJ ATO. I came in after being out for about an hour and found water all over the floor, with the ATO running continuously trying to pump water into the tank. Salinity was down to 1.019. I cleaned it all up and did a couple five gallon water changes to get it back to 1.025, and nothing seems to have been badly affected.

Turns out the JBJ ATO has a dual sensor (too low and too high). But it doesn't have an overflow timer, so if the "too high" sensor doesn't report for some reason, it just keeps on pumping water until it drains the ATO container. THIS CAN NEVER HAPPEN!!! :rant:

I blame myself for not doing my research more carefully. But wow, who would think this was a good idea?

I bought an AutoAqua SmartATO Duo on Amazon and installed it tonight. It's pretty much the same as the JBJ with a dual optical sensor, but it has the same overflow timer that the Micro has. It measures the time it runs when it is first turned on, and then if it runs for more than three times as long during any subsequent fill, it shuts off and sets off the alarm. On the Micro, I have seen this result in incorrect alarms, but I'd much rather have the occasional false alarm than take any chance of overflowing the tank.

• Wow 4
8 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, the shutdown has begun 😞

I've moved all the zoas and other loose frags from the bottom glass into the UNS60U, where they are doing just fine. The fish and the larger rocks are still here though.

I had a semi-major disaster the other night with the new JBJ ATO. I came in after being out for about an hour and found water all over the floor, with the ATO running continuously trying to pump water into the tank. Salinity was down to 1.019. I cleaned it all up and did a couple five gallon water changes to get it back to 1.025, and nothing seems to have been badly affected.

Turns out the JBJ ATO has a dual sensor (too low and too high). But it doesn't have an overflow timer, so if the "too high" sensor doesn't report for some reason, it just keeps on pumping water until it drains the ATO container. THIS CAN NEVER HAPPEN!!! :rant:

I blame myself for not doing my research more carefully. But wow, who would think this was a good idea?

I bought an AutoAqua SmartATO Duo on Amazon and installed it tonight. It's pretty much the same as the JBJ with a dual optical sensor, but it has the same overflow timer that the Micro has. It measures the time it runs when it is first turned on, and then if it runs for more than three times as long during any subsequent fill, it shuts off and sets off the alarm. On the Micro, I have seen this result in incorrect alarms, but I'd much rather have the occasional false alarm than take any chance of overflowing the tank.

Wow that could have been bad, I’m glad everything pulled through the low salinity 

• Like 2
Just now, ef4life said:

Wow that could have been bad, I’m glad everything pulled through the low salinity 

I was got home right after it happened. I don't think the salinity ended up being that low for more than a couple hours at most. So yeah, very lucky!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Well, I finally did it. Last night I broke down the tank, broke up the rocks, and fragged/broke off/cut off all the corals that needed to go into the new 20g tank, and moved them along with the fish, snails, crabs, and shrimp. The transfer went well and while I'm a little sad to see this tank go, I'm really looking forward to seeing everything grow into the bigger tank.

Here's a quick teaser of the old corals in the new tank:

20201011-untitled-016.jpg

Check over in my 20g thread for more pictures!

• Like 11

I just had an ato fiasco too.. pretty frustrating trying to help mt wife via video call when I am 10hrs away lol. 

The place I bought it and the maker both really didn't help me any. I might just sell it and get a older jbj ato. Smh. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I just had an ato fiasco too.. pretty frustrating trying to help mt wife via video call when I am 10hrs away lol. 

The place I bought it and the maker both really didn't help me any. I might just sell it and get a older jbj ato. Smh. 

Get a tunze nano 

@teenyreef

Sorry to hear about the break down but I'm stoked for the 20g.

Your tank are always 🔥🔥🔥

• Like 2