SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Everything looks wonderful! Do you notice a lot of courtship between your GBGs? I have only 2 left of my 5 and they are now definitely a pair. I found babies just yesterday from them. Unfortunately they were gone within the day. But the courtship between them is funny to watch. He tries to get her to chase him all the time. I never see her take the bait...they must do it at night LOL.

• Like 4

Thanks! Your tanks are beautiful, btw :wub:

I love the look of the acans and the rics, but they don't snuggle well. Any time the rics cover up a little bit of an acan head, the acan loses big time. But since the acans have been growing quickly, my plan (well...my hope) is that they'll just grow out new heads on the opposite side from the rics.

Oh really? I would have expected the acans to keep the rics at bay. Do the rics simply shade out the acans?

• Like 1

Yes, I do see some signs of courtship every once in a while, mostly some shimmy type motions. These are the first clown fish I've had, so I don't really have the experience to know what to look for. But I think most of the action takes place after dark :lol:

Oh really? I would have expected the acans to keep the rics at bay. Do the rics simply shade out the acans?

No, it turns out they are mean little dudes. They basically kill any acan tissue they touch. Here's a top down shot that shows where the acans have receded. You can see exactly how far out the closest ric expands when he gets fed and is big and fluffly but the line of receded tissue on the two closer acans.

20153080442_b74a415ee1_b.jpgAcans Losing the Battle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 3

No, it turns out they are mean little dudes. They basically kill any acan tissue they touch. Here's a top down shot that shows where the acans have receded. You can see exactly how far out the closest ric expands when he gets fed and is big and fluffly but the line of receded tissue on the two closer acans.

20153080442_b74a415ee1_b.jpgAcans Losing the Battle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

:o:scarry:

• Like 1

I was thinking about the fact that I don't know which tank I like better: this one or the 4 gallon! Then I figured why choose? I love them both.

• Like 3

The tank looks great! Sweet acro too!

Thanks!

I was thinking about the fact that I don't know which tank I like better: this one or the 4 gallon! Then I figured why choose? I love them both.

Awww, thanks, Stella :)

Ack! That picture of melted sorrow.

Inorite? Poor little acans. But I have learned that as long as they are healthy to begin with, acans will bounce right back with a little time and feeding. I have one that got almost completely zapped. It had two heads, and all that was left was part of one head about an eighth of an inch across. I moved it into my frag tank and fed it regularly. Two months later, even the head that seemed to be gone has grown back from just a tiny fragment of tissue, and the other head is about half an inch across. I keep meaning to move it back into the tank :)

• Like 1

My biggest worry in getting the acros from Zia's end of the world sale was that I'd kill them all :scarry:

So far, nothing has died fingerscrossed

However, I am getting some brown coloration, which isn't too surprising given that the nitrates went up a little bit while I was on vacation. At first I was really worried because from the side almost everything looked brown. But from the top I can still see some color on all of them. I'm concentrating on trying to keep everything really stable, with good consistent feeding and water changes.

I took this picture just as I started feeding, so there's stuff on the surface of the water. I'm really just posting this picture to track progress, not because I think it's a really good picture.

20087684240_4f04b8db0f_b.jpgFraggle Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

beautiful as always, john!! <3

Thanks Cindy :flower:

Is is just the new pieces that are browning out? That jewel in the lower lefthand corner looks amazing! :wub:

Thanks! Yes - only the new ones are brown. The old ones are doing great, so I'm not too worried about it. I think it's just a combination of them not being used to the tank and the neglect on vacation.

• Like 3

Hey teenyreef, from browsing through your thread it seems like the IM desktop skimmer was a pain to setup. I am considering getting a protein skimmer for the same tank, and I was wondering if you would recommend any other protein skimmer instead. Thanks :)

• Like 1
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hey teenyreef, from browsing through your thread it seems like the IM desktop skimmer was a pain to setup. I am considering getting a protein skimmer for the same tank, and I was wondering if you would recommend any other protein skimmer instead. Thanks :)

I recommend the CADlights pls 50.
  • Like 1

Just got back from a short trip out of town, followed by a busy weekend. But I was able to set up some new BRS dosers, and made a couple water changes. Hopefully that will help with the brown acros. Only the new ones show any brown in them, the old ones are doing fine.

• Like 3

Just got back from a short trip out of town, followed by a busy weekend. But I was able to set up some new BRS dosers, and made a couple water changes. Hopefully that will help with the brown acros. Only the new ones show any brown in them, the old ones are doing fine.

What does your dosing regimen look like? How often do you test?

• Like 1

It's funny because when I got back into the hobby after a short break I swore I HATED SPS and would never buy ugly sticks. Then I got a Birds Of Paradise Birdsnest and then I found myself getting WWC Rainbow Prostratas and it just exploded from there lol. SPS are definitely addictive.

• Like 5

What does your dosing regimen look like? How often do you test?

I dose about 2ml of Seachem Fusion two part daily. The BRS dosers dole it out a little bit at a time throughout the day.

I test daily when I'm adjusting the doser, and every week or so when it's stable.

SPS are addictive, time for a new dedicated tank. :D

I know, right? Maybe about 150 gallons?

Someday I'm going to convert my 90g FW to saltwater. I should have enough money right after all three kids finish college and get married :)

It's funny because when I got back into the hobby after a short break I swore I HATED SPS and would never buy ugly sticks. Then I got a Birds Of Paradise Birdsnest and then I found myself getting WWC Rainbow Prostratas and it just exploded from there lol. SPS are definitely addictive.

Yeah, I can't imagine having a tank without any SPS. I love the softie tanks like Gena's but I wouldn't be able to resist adding some unauthorized SPS :)

• Like 6
reefernanoman

While I was changing water and gluing frags, I noticed there were lots of tiny fish fry swimming near the surface of the water. The clown fish must have spawned :)

Unfortunately there's no way I could do anything with them so I hardened my heart and turned the filters back on. Poor baby fish :(

Yeah, my MCF pair has had countless babies and they all get sucked in by the overflow. I read that a dedicated tank with very little flow is required to let the babies grow. Also live rotifers are needed to keep them alive in the first day(and you have to keep these things alive too in a container that they sell). So its a PITA to try to keep the babies just alive.

• Like 1