Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I used a band saw. It's too thick for scissors. You could cut it pretty easily with a fine tooth hand saw, like a hack saw or a flush cut saw, though.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

What did you use to cut the egg crate? just regular scissors or do you need something more heavy duty?

Tip: bang out whatever shape you want using a strong screwdriver. Works great- I've made a few media baskets, frag racks, etc doing this.

• Like 2

Hey teeny!

I need some of your HOT macro pixxx like a fat kid needs chocolate cake!

I just took a few with the macro lens just a few minutes ago but they ended up looking like poo. They were all out of focus for some reason. This is the best of a bad bunch...I'll try again tomorrow!

19521714579_b24f9e249a_b.jpgBad Macro Shot by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tip: bang out whatever shape you want using a strong screwdriver. Works great- I've made a few media baskets, frag racks, etc doing this.

I don't know what they're called but these just snip it easily.

20150715_003144_zpscphhn689.jpg

Both much better ideas than using a hand saw!

• Like 3

I'll take it! That gives me a small taste at least of what's to come! OMG that pink PE tough!! That PL has some coloring backup to do and will only get better as it heals longer. But hot damn! Those pink polyps against that yellow base :wub: I'm a huge fan of your photography! Thx for sharing bud!

• Like 1

I'll take it! That gives me a small taste at least of what's to come! OMG that pink PE tough!! That PL has some coloring backup to do and will only get better as it heals longer. But hot damn! Those pink polyps against that yellow base :wub: I'm a huge fan of your photography! Thx for sharing bud!

I'm really excited to see them color up! Here's one more. This guy hasn't really shown much PE yet.

19085975664_e091f434c1_b.jpgAcro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

What did you use to cut the egg crate? just regular scissors or do you need something more heavy duty?

HD or Lowe's sell a heavy duty orange handled scissors that I use to cut egg crate, prune bushes ect.... They are a must have for all sorts of aquarium maintenance. When I serviced tanks I had a pair in my tool box. They don't rust as easy as regular scissors either.

• Like 2

HD or Lowe's sell a heavy duty orange handled scissors that I use to cut egg crate, prune bushes ect.... They are a must have for all sorts of aquarium maintenance. When I serviced tanks I had a pair in my tool box. They don't rust as easy as regular scissors either.

I'm sure there's a dremel attachment for that too, just haven't gone to pick one out! Pretty sure BF has those wire cutters, so I'll just borrow them for now.

• Like 1

I use electrical wire cutters, nice quick clean cut.

• Like 3

I'm sure there's a dremel attachment for that too, just haven't gone to pick one out! Pretty sure BF has those wire cutters, so I'll just borrow them for now.

Yup, that would work too. Pretty much any tool that you could use for fragging corals (dremel saw, band saw, wire cutters, bone cutters) would all work fine.

Hi there teenyreef,

What's the noise level on your Nanobox Tide? I currently use an AI Prime light, and whenever the CW and B levels are NOT 0 or 100, the unit emits an annoying buzzing noise. I am considering returning the AI Prime and getting a new light, but my primary concern will be the noise level.

• Like 1

It's not silent, but I don't notice it much. It's a white noise that pretty much blends in with any other noises in the room. No buzzing or humming at annoying pitches or levels.

• Like 2

New page, new pics :)

July FTS:

19516409881_dde7a79fde_b.jpgIM10 FTS 7 July 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Living Room FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Dang... 10g looking great! Going to realy fill in once those new SPS frags are mounted. Looking forward to seeing how it all looks in a year! Your clowns have gorgeous color as well, what do you feed?

• Like 2

Dang... 10g looking great! Going to realy fill in once those new SPS frags are mounted. Looking forward to seeing how it all looks in a year! Your clowns have gorgeous color as well, what do you feed?

Thanks! I feed a mix of pellets, frozen spirulina enriched brine shrimp, and refrigerated arcti-pods.
  • Like 2

I'm off on vacation until Sunday night. I tried to get my BRS dosing pumps set up before I left but I just ran out of time. They're all hooked up but I quickly realized it would take too long to get them calibrated.

The dog/tank sitter will be feeding pellets for the fish and doing manual dosing while I'm gone. Fingers crossed that everything goes ok!

• Like 5
Bella's Reef

It was fun to catch up on the few months I have missed, tank is looking great. As did you, I lost my Tailspot after a good year or more of having him, considering a green banded goby and mandarin as well.

• Like 1

It was fun to catch up on the few months I have missed, tank is looking great. As did you, I lost my Tailspot after a good year or more of having him, considering a green banded goby and mandarin as well.

Thanks! I can't say enough good things about green banded gobies, just make sure you have a cover as I've lost several due to jumping!

I hope to try again with a new TSB when I get back from vacation :)

• Like 1

When I got back from vacation, I was concerned that the sps frags I got from Zia had gone brown :angry:

But then I realized it was mostly just algae on the glass. Once I cleaned the glass, everything still had colors. There might be a little bit of brown but nothing too bad.

I checked nitrates and they were up a tiny bit, from 3ppm to about 5ppm, but I don't think that's enough too get worried about. Everything else stayed stable and seems healthy.

The zoas Zia sent are growing and spreading already, but their colors have changed significantly under my lighting. I'll try to get some before and after pictures tomorrow night. I'm not sure if the difference is that I have brighter lights or if my lights are dimmer. Or if it's due to feeding or tank chemistry, or what...

While I was changing the water, I decided to go ahead a glue to zoas on the rocks to get them out of the way on the frag rack...

Then I decided to just glue one of two of the SPS frags...

Now it's 3 AM and everything is glued in place and the frag rack is gone :unsure:

The top of my rock pile looks like Fraggle Rock :rolleyes: All kinds of fuzzy headed critters sticking out all over.

19919973388_9bb99ca1ee.jpgfragglerock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

There's no way that there will enough room in this tank for more than a couple of the frags once they really start to grow out, but for now it's a nice place to get them started, and when they outgrow the space I've got it will be a great set of frags to start with in a bigger tank :)

• Like 4