Coral Vue Hydros

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I have one of those in my reef and it was called a curlyque anemone, which might be another name for a banded aiptasia. I researched them when I first got it paired with a candy cane pistol shrimp. If they are not fed too much they won't grow or divide as fast. I have had mine for over 2 years and it is still the same size and has never divided.

I read about the curlicue online - seems to be the same thing although I seem to remember somebody saying the difference was that the curlicue has tendrils that curl back towards the mouth.

Either way, it's pretty, although I worry a little that as it gets bigger it might eat green banded gobies. I've been missing GBG #3 for about a month now and I wonder if he just died or if he had a little help :o

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Showcased very lovingly; it shows it can just be part of the furniture landscape and beautiful saltwater tanks don't have to take up a room to be enjoyed.

• Like 2

Showcased very lovingly; it shows it can just be part of the furniture landscape and beautiful saltwater tanks don't have to take up a room to be enjoyed.

Thanks! The best part is all the space in the cabinets underneath is dedicated to fish stuff. Plenty of room for a sump some day :)

• Like 4
Cichlidrookie

Man I always forget how small a nano tank really is and how much space they actually take up. The pictures you take make your tank look like it is a 100 gallon cube and on top of that all the coral you have fit perfectly in such a small footprint. Amazing job, one of my favourite tanks. Keep taking pics.

Have you been on TANK OF THE MONTH???

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Kat identified this guy as a banded aiptasia a few months ago. He's grown a bit but still hangs out in the shadows under the monti cap. But when the light is right you can see he's really kind of pretty.

18888982433_3494f52b2f_b.jpgBanded Aiptasia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I have both the banded and curlicue in my tank. The curlicue lives with my mantis shrimp in the sump and is about 2.5 inches wide. He doesn't seem to bother anything and I'm not planning to start feeding him so I hope he doesn't split and spread out. The banded lives in a rock in the display. He eats when I broadcast feed and has been there since setup without causing any problems. I am monitoring him closely though. Any bad behavior and he a goner.

• Like 3

Such a pretty tank, man. So damn nice. I wish I could get all my coral happy with my flow! lol At least one always seems to be unhappy with where I put the powerhead... Thing pushes 70gph tops and my rics are only happy in 1 place while the rest of the corals are happiest in a different place. Blergh.

Also I noticed you put your light bracket on the wall separating the rear chamber from the display instead of putting on the rear glass wall itself... Maybe that's something I should look in to? I do feel like the tank light is stretching a bit from way back there.

Is your rockwork against the back wall? I'm thinking I might do that as part of my re-scape to give it a bit more stability. Not like I need the back wall for anything in particular anyways...

• Like 1

That's the real problem :lol:

Everything is hooked up to the Apex already. When I feed the tank, I use Apex Fusion on my phone to manually turn everything off and then back on again. Last night I just forgot to turn everything back on again.

Have you programmed any feed modes yet? It's a pain but I have two now, one I use for maintenance that keeps the sump and skimmer off for 30 minutes, long enough for me to do what I need to do. I've thought about doing one for an hour or maybe more that is extreme but if I forget at least things will start back up eventually. I make sure my heater turns off when the sump is off and there is an audible temperature alarm that might sound if the temp gets too low. Not sure I will ever test it. Just throwing out some ideas.

-SKIMMER-

Fallback OFF

Set ON

If Outlet SUMP = OFF Then OFF

If Power EB4_4 Off 000 Then OFF

Defer 001:00 Then ON

If FeedA 015 Then OFF

If FeedB 001 Then OFF

FeedB is my short feed, usually just flakes, so I don't keep the skimmer very long. FeedA is my Reef Roids feeding so I delay 15 minutes post feed to clear everything out. Defer 1:00 minute just makes sure the skimmer doesn't come back on right when the sump does, it takes a minute for my levels to settle out.

The If Power is my fancy way of detecting a power outage. My main outlet has a UPS that can last for over an hour as long as certain devices are turned off (like the heater). EB4 is not on a UPS so it can detect a whole house power failure.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I didn't check. Unfortunately, this pic is from a few weeks ago and I don't have the shell any more. This is what I get for not posting for a few weeks :closedeyes:

Best way to tell is if it's smelly or not. Molts don't stink. Dead bodies do :).

Your latest FTS is incredible :wub:.

• Like 2

Man I always forget how small a nano tank really is and how much space they actually take up. The pictures you take make your tank look like it is a 100 gallon cube and on top of that all the coral you have fit perfectly in such a small footprint. Amazing job, one of my favourite tanks. Keep taking pics.

Have you been on TANK OF THE MONTH???

Thanks! My 4g tank was TOTM back in March. This one has a loooonnnnng way to go, though, There are so many beautiful tanks here on NR :)

I have both the banded and curlicue in my tank. The curlicue lives with my mantis shrimp in the sump and is about 2.5 inches wide. He doesn't seem to bother anything and I'm not planning to start feeding him so I hope he doesn't split and spread out. The banded lives in a rock in the display. He eats when I broadcast feed and has been there since setup without causing any problems. I am monitoring him closely though. Any bad behavior and he a goner.

I've never found anything that clearly stated the difference between the two - can you describe it?

• Like 3

Such a pretty tank, man. So damn nice. I wish I could get all my coral happy with my flow! lol At least one always seems to be unhappy with where I put the powerhead... Thing pushes 70gph tops and my rics are only happy in 1 place while the rest of the corals are happiest in a different place. Blergh.

Also I noticed you put your light bracket on the wall separating the rear chamber from the display instead of putting on the rear glass wall itself... Maybe that's something I should look in to? I do feel like the tank light is stretching a bit from way back there.

Is your rockwork against the back wall? I'm thinking I might do that as part of my re-scape to give it a bit more stability. Not like I need the back wall for anything in particular anyways...

Thanks, Tibbsy! It's always hard to find good spots for rics. In my tanks, they are willing to tolerate more flow only after they get firmly attached and start to grow. Otherwise they tend to let go and float away. I have found it very helpful to target feed them with with mysis, brine shrimp, or anything meaty. Just put it anywhere on their polyps and it will stick, as long as they aren't all shriveled up at the time.

The picture is deceiving - the light bracket is on the back wall. I think what you're seeing is the bracket for the tank lid which I forgot to take out :) It is maybe an inch short of the ideal position but it hasn't bothered me. Much.

It's hard to tell, but there's about an inch between the rocks and the back wall. Not really enough to scrape the back wall, but it's enough to get a turkey baster in there to stir up the sand. I glued some of the key rocks together to keep it stable. If I ever have to take the rocks out, I'll have to do a total rescape because there's no way I could ever get it back together the same way. :mellow:

Wow, Teeny! Love the tank and its home!

Thanks, Stella! Looking forward to seeing the new tank put together :)

Have you programmed any feed modes yet? It's a pain but I have two now, one I use for maintenance that keeps the sump and skimmer off for 30 minutes, long enough for me to do what I need to do. I've thought about doing one for an hour or maybe more that is extreme but if I forget at least things will start back up eventually. I make sure my heater turns off when the sump is off and there is an audible temperature alarm that might sound if the temp gets too low. Not sure I will ever test it. Just throwing out some ideas.

-SKIMMER-

Fallback OFF

Set ON

If FeedA 015 Then OFF

If FeedB 001 Then OFF

FeedB is my short feed, usually just flakes, so I don't keep the skimmer very long. FeedA is my Reef Roids feeding so I delay 15 minutes post feed to clear everything out. Defer 1:00 minute just makes sure the skimmer doesn't come back on right when the sump does, it takes a minute for my levels to settle out.

The If Power is my fancy way of detecting a power outage. My main outlet has a UPS that can last for over an hour as long as certain devices are turned off (like the heater). EB4 is not on a UPS so it can detect a whole house power failure.

Thanks, Mark, great ideas. I haven't done anything yet, I've been to busy posting here on NR :lol:

Best way to tell is if it's smelly or not. Molts don't stink. Dead bodies do :).

Your latest FTS is incredible :wub:.

Thanks, Gena! I didn't notice any smell, but it was very small and I got it out right away after I saw it.

I haven't seen any sign of him since, but that doesn't mean much since I only saw him once the whole time I've had the tank.

happiest most beautiful little nano tank! :wub:

Thanks, Cindy! So jelly you get to go to Comic-Con. And as a professional! So cool B) Have fun!

• Like 4

Ah, thanks for the info. I was tinkering with my scape last night. I'll end up epoxying/gluing/zip tying it all together at some point. Haven't decided on a scape yet, but I'm working on it.

My rics are always shriveled now. I really would like to move them but it seems they aren't willing to let me get them yet -_-

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Thanks! My 4g tank was TOTM back in March. This one has a loooonnnnng way to go, though, There are so many beautiful tanks here on NR :)

I've never found anything that clearly stated the difference between the two - can you describe it?

When you look at the two side by side you can see a difference. the banded has very straight arms and the curlique is , well, curly.

• Like 2
outerorbiter

Your tank looks awesome! I am working on a similar setup as yours. I looked through your thread but didnt see what you light settings are. Would you share them please?

• Like 1
HarryPotter

-SKIMMER-

Fallback OFF

Set ON

If FeedA 015 Then OFF

If FeedB 001 Then OFF

What UPS are you using? That sounds like an awesome idea :)

• Like 1

What UPS are you using? That sounds like an awesome idea :)

I have the Vortech battery backup on the right side MP40 while all the other in tank circulation pumps are hooked up to some 'on sale' UPS purchased at a local Micro Center. :) I'm not sure how good it is but got decent reviews when I spent 5 minutes making sure it wasn't complete junk. My goal was to work around the occasional 2 second power glitch that was locking up my doser, the fact it can run so long if I turn various devices off is just an added benefit. :)

• Like 1
FlowerMama

When you look at the two side by side you can see a difference. the banded has very straight arms and the curlique is , well, curly.

So I was right that mine is a curlique?

20150705_180107_zpsq1rpa0vo.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, Gena! I didn't notice any smell, but it was very small and I got it out right away after I saw it.

I haven't seen any sign of him since, but that doesn't mean much since I only saw him once the whole time I've had the tank.

I bet money on it being just a molt.

• Like 1

I bet money on it being just a molt.

I would bet money you are right :)

Your tank looks awesome! I am working on a similar setup as yours. I looked through your thread but didnt see what you light settings are. Would you share them please?

Thanks! I have the Storm controller. The blues are on 190 and the whites are on 95.

I think mine is trying to grow up to be a curlicue :)

• Like 1

I took off work early today so I could stop by the FedEx office to pick up my of frags from Zia's End of the World sale omgomgomg

The box is bigger than my tank! :lol:

More pictures later :ninja:

18960464934_4df47c8809_b.jpgFrag Box by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10
HarryPotter

I took off work early today so I could stop by the FedEx office to pick up my of frags from Zia's End of the World sale omgomgomg

OMG. DROOL. LETS SEE THE GOODIES!

• Like 1

Holy moly! What'd ya buy?? I can't wait to see. And that is a great title - End of the World sale.

So I was right that mine is a curlique?

20150705_180107_zpsq1rpa0vo.jpg

To me, that looks TOTALLY different than my banded aiptasia. I vote Curlique

• Like 2