Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Overall, I think I'd probably get the Tunze Nano if I was buying this all over again. The advantages of the larger model are the optical sensor (snail proof) and the overflow protector. But the smaller sensor package and finer control of the pump in the Nano version is really nice.

Old quote, but do you still feel this way after having used the 3155 for a year? I'm planning for the sales this Friday and one of the only things I'm iffy on is the 3155 vs the 3152 nano for my 10g.

Hope my tank can look even half as good as this one eventually.

• Like 1

The 3155 works great after slowing down the flow rate with a cheap air valve. The nano doesn't have an overflow detector, and can get jammed by snails causing an overflow. In this tank there's room for the 3155 so I recommend it over the nano ato.

On that checker .3 is .3, no conversion required. I would toss it in the garbage and just keep on keeping on if I were you, these checkers are crap. Get an ELOS expert Phosphate kit (color based, to very tall bottles and a color chart), not many sell them, and see what it says. The tank is so small that if you fed recently the reading may be false. The only thing lowering PO4 ever did for me was kill acros.

• Like 2

On that checker .3 is .3, no conversion required. I would toss it in the garbage and just keep on keeping on if I were you, these checkers are crap. Get an ELOS expert Phosphate kit (color based, to very tall bottles and a color chart), not many sell them, and see what it says. The tank is so small that if you fed recently the reading may be false. The only thing lowering PO4 ever did for me was kill acros.

I think I'll try the Elos- never liked my Hanna

Just got back from a great time celebrating Thanksgiving at my parents house on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. The weather was beautiful. It's so peaceful there and it was a really relaxing and enjoyable time.

23378575286_69005596b9_b.jpgEastern Shore Sunset by TeenyReef, on Flickr

While I was gone, I received beautiful new custom acrylic tops made by Smiz! Here's the one for this tank:

23296268722_4e47a82098_b.jpgIM10 Smiz Acrylic Top by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

Tank looks awesome man,as usual !!! What part of va were you in ?!

Thanks! I was in Eastville, VA, near the southern end of the Eastern Shore. Very old and very small!

...Eastville has been the County Seat of the County of Northampton, Virginia since 1680. The Old Courthouse was constructed about 1731 and contains the "oldest continuous county court records" in the United States. This is a true Colonial-Era town; the Declaration of Independence was publicly read from the steps of the courthouse in August 1776.

My parents' place is on the water on the bay side, not in the town itself.

That's awesome man,it's really nice down there. I used to go to the Hampton & New Port News area a lot when I lived there,new small and nice. I'm from Northern Virginia myself,miss the hell out of it too.

• Like 1

That's awesome man,it's really nice down there. I used to go to the Hampton & New Port News area a lot when I lived there,new small and nice. I'm from Northern Virginia myself,miss the hell out of it too.

Yeah, I like it here. I live in Chesapeake, just on the south side of Hampton.

Fed the fish and corals last night, scraped the glass, blew off rocks / stirred up sand, and made a lightning quick set of water changes on the tanks this morning. Now I'm off to Orlando for a conference. Thank goodness for ATO's and dosers. Things should be ok until I get back Thursday night.

Hopefully I'll be back in time to help celebrate my son's 17th birthday :)

• Like 5

I know it has only been a week, but how is that favia doing?

It's doing better. Still a little algae on top but that's where there's no tissue yet. I can see polyps in all the pockets of the skeleton now, and the larger polyps along the bottom are starting to put out feeder tentacles.

I'll take a picture after I get back this weekend.

The tank look great as usual and I liked the pic from the weekend at your parents house.

Thanks, Dawn! I was glad to hear that Adam's back to normal :)

It's doing better. Still a little algae on top but that's where there's no tissue yet. I can see polyps in all the pockets of the skeleton now, and the larger polyps along the bottom are starting to put out feeder tentacles.

I'll take a picture after I get back this weekend.

Just got back from my trip - here's an updated pic of the favites. Sorry for all the algae on the frag rack - I haven't cleaned up the tank yet after being gone.

I think they are starting to recover. There's more algae on top where the skeleton is exposed, but the flesh on the polyps is much thicker and the mouths are much better defined. There's a tiny bit more green, too. It will be interesting to see how it's doing in another week.

23208148640_4aab27ae22_b.jpgEvil Favites Recovering by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

Fed the fish and corals last night, scraped the glass, blew off rocks / stirred up sand, and made a lightning quick set of water changes on the tanks this morning. Now I'm off to Orlando for a conference. Thank goodness for ATO's and dosers. Things should be ok until I get back Thursday night.

Hopefully I'll be back in time to help celebrate my son's 17th birthday :)

That means you can start Christmas decorating...right? :)
  • Like 1

Christmas decorating has officially begun!

Well, actually, all we ended up doing tonight was bringing down empty boxes so we can start putting away the fall decorations. Christmas stuff officially starts tomorrow.

But we did decorate the dogs :wub:

22899175604_ba69f1378c_b.jpgMolly and Jasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 11

Favia does look better already. These seem like tough little corals. Good to see.

Your dogs are adorable.. The one on the left looks like she/he just wants you to take the scarf off, and the one on the left looks like he/she is thinking, "Yes, I know I look adorable, take a picture" lol

• Like 1

Christmas decorating has officially begun!

Well, actually, all we ended up doing tonight was bringing down empty boxes so we can start putting away the fall decorations. Christmas stuff officially starts tomorrow.

But we did decorate the dogs :wub:

22899175604_ba69f1378c_b.jpgMolly and Jasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Way too cute!

• Like 2

The one on the right looks so serious, the one on the left looks like he's little more of a goofball :D

That's funny. Molly, the one on the left, is the serious one - she's actually looking at me like "How long are you going to make me sit here?"

Jasper's all "I KNOW I look good!"

• Like 1

My nitrates have gone back up a bit (about 20) when I fell behind in water changes. I changed the water tonight and made sure I got the back chambers sucked out, and put in fresh carbon and GFO. I did the same thing in the 4g tank because it was about the same.

I've been looking at older pictures of my rainbow acans and they've really lost a lot of color. They are mostly red now, although they are eating well, staying fluffy, and growing new heads. I'm going to keep trying to get the nitrates and phosphates down slowly, and I'm also going to try reducing the lighting levels and duration to see if that helps. It might help the rics out as well. Hopefully it won't cause problems for the acros, but we'll see.

Here's what they looked like when I got them:

16454164819_7a15ae129f_b.jpgRainbow Acan by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's what they look like now:

22589431374_d060670456_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

In other news - snail eggs!

23624065075_4d1dbebe1c_b.jpgSnail Eggs by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And the sexy shrimp are pretty much hosting full time in the RFA now :)

23328371960_b5e30fc893_b.jpgSexies with RFA by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 2

Are you using LED? I noticed when I had LEDs my acans all turned that orangish red as well

I am, but I've seen nice rainbow acan colors in other tanks with LED's. It might be that it's easier to get the right lighting level with T5's, though. I'm experimenting with lower lighting levels and a little less whites to see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1