Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Means a lot coming from you ma'am. How's your tank coming along? Still suffering from rescap'itis?

:lol::slap:

Rescapititus. heheh. No, I'm away from home, the tank hasn't been touched. But I'm seeking treatment, or at least I will eventually.

36557716-3eb3-4588-bf14-5852337d0c3a_zps

Chris - where did you get your BTAs again? I remember you posted the site and I can't find it for the life of me.

I've always just grabbed them from a LFS, but the site you're thinking of is for Coral Collection.

http://www.coralcollection.net/

:lol::slap:

Rescapititus. heheh. No, I'm away from home, the tank hasn't been touched. But I'm seeking treatment, or at least I will eventually.

I think I saw that you're in London? Sweet! Say eh'lo to the Tower of London for me!

• Like 2

Hey, thanks! I've certainly had my issues keeping corals in the past, but Zs & Ps have always done well in my tanks. They like slightly "dirtier" water. I feed the tank a lot and don't over-filter.

Glad to have you along!

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I don't have any fish though, so the tank is relatively clean and probably underfed haha. It'll probably take me awhile to get to where you are, but at least I get to live vicariously through you :lol:

Btw if you ever decide to frag, well I think I'm pretty local to you!

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I don't have any fish though, so the tank is relatively clean and probably underfed haha. It'll probably take me awhile to get to where you are, but at least I get to live vicariously through you :lol:

Btw if you ever decide to frag, well I think I'm pretty local to you!

I'm a ways a way from having to frag anything. Where are you located?

Hey Jorgieeeeeee. They're pretty hit or miss, but if you are selective (and patient), I think you can do pretty well. The biggest challenge is making sure that they don't starve to death. Ideally, they would graze on pods all day in your tank, but very few tanks have enough to support a fish over a long period of time. They will eat other foods (frozen, or even pellets), so make sure that you get one that's eating prepared food in the fish store. Don't buy one online, because you can't tell if they'll eat.

If you find one that's eating in the LFS, make sure you have a good sand-bed, with fine grain sand, as they sleep in the sand every night. If you have a bare bottom tank, they'll waste away and die.

And, from my personal experience, contrary to everything I've read, they can be aggressive toward members of their genus. I'm guessing this is because they're all initially female, and when you put a few of them together, they need to figure out who is dominant. They're very peaceful toward other fish, but I've had troubles with multiple fish getting along together. If one is getting bullied, it'll just hide in the sand, and eventually starve to death.

Means a lot coming from you ma'am. How's your tank coming along? Still suffering from rescap'itis?

Thanks !! I guess ill just wait till my LFS gets one, so I can make sure it's eating.

Thanks !! I guess ill just wait till my LFS gets one, so I can make sure it's eating.

I know it's hard to be patient, but it's totally better than having one die on you!

thecoralbeauty

wow- the colors!!! its looking amazing!!

my pearl berry looked really gross there for a while- a dark purple-brown (mostly brown)- but i moved it up high and its lightening up so I'm hoping it'll be back to its lovely self soon... yours looks great!

Some random reddish brown mille I picked up at a LFS a while back may be something a lot more special. The base is turning a vivid pink, with icy blue/green polyps. Pretty.

444b4d68-4b79-4ee4-9db6-a70a858e5576_zps

This was sold to me as a blue tenius a month or so ago. Not sure if that's the case, but it's showing some cool coloration.

20151116_112420_zps02l5u5lo.jpg

The Yellowjacket Acro I picked up at R.A.P. hasn't done much, but appears to be encrusting a bit.

7f1e5471-726a-402c-b6d9-49ded79d978f_zps

What I thought was a green mille, turning into a pretty pink.

85f44edc-601c-4591-8fad-bde0837977e9_zps

Strawberry Lemonade is encrusting and showing really nice colors.

20151116_112509_zpshj5zie6o.jpg

Nothing fancy here, just liked the shot.

e5f5119d-0f3e-4071-8d42-e04a256be028_zps

• Like 8

wow- the colors!!! its looking amazing!!

my pearl berry looked really gross there for a while- a dark purple-brown (mostly brown)- but i moved it up high and its lightening up so I'm hoping it'll be back to its lovely self soon... yours looks great!

Thanks Morgan! Pearlberry is one of my favorites. So often you see it with really muted colors, but I've seen some colonies that are truly stunning. I hope that's how this piece develops.

9d55351d-edba-4fa8-b5f3-c55a7a26838b_zps

• Like 3

My skimmer is driving me crazy!! I can't keep it from overflowing. I'll set it so that it's just barely pushing foam into the cup. It'll be fine for a few hours, and then, it'll start overflowing, spilling water everywhere. The water level is stable, the skimmer isn't moving, and the air-lines are clear. I don't know what's up, but it's really aggravating!

Any suggestions?

I don't think there's anything blocking the outflow, or the air-lines... though it has to be something like that doesn't it? I took it out and cleaned it thoroughly, and the water outflow is clear. I didn't see any big particles that might settle and block the hole. I've been blowing hard into the air intake every day to make sure there's no blockage in there, and it seems to be clear.

I think that the most likely culprit is a something blocking the water outflow. I'll see if I can see anything next time it overflows.

Next week, I'll be heading out to Belize on vacation with my girlfriend. We'll be doing some snorkeling on the Belize Barrier reef, which is the longest barrier reef in the western hemisphere, and the second longest in the world. I'm pretty stoked for the chance to see some reef action up close and personal. There are a couple of spots we're looking at that are "famous" for huge brain corals, and another for their sea-fan gardens.

I'd love to take some nice photos while snorkeling, but I'm totally clueless as to how to go about it. I've got a couple decent cameras I could take, and my cell phone actually has an amazing camera. I've been looking at waterproof cases for cameras and cell-phones, but they all seem a little sketchy as far as their reliability and their functionality. I don't want to spend the money to buy a specifically designed underwater camera because I don't think I'll get enough use out of it. I know they sell disposables that are meant to be taken underwater, but I can't imagine you'd get much quality out of that.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure some of you have done this sort of thing before!

• Like 2

Just ordered a new protein skimmer. BRS has a SMOKIN' deal on the Vertex Omega line right now. $225 for the the Vertex Omega 130, which is about $100 off normal retail. Plus they give you free shipping! Super high quality product with a high end Sicce pump included.

Plus.... SEXY!

Woohoo!

Vertex-Omega-130-Protein-Skimmer-99.jpg

• Like 3

Acros look awesome. They might be enjoying the slightly dirtier water- make sure you don't strip the nutrients with that new skimmer :)

It's a good point. I won't let it pull enough out to "strip" my water, but will hopefully help to contain some of bits of nuisance algae I've got going on... and it would be nice to not have to tinker with it every few hours to keep it from overflowing.

It's a good point. I won't let it pull enough out to "strip" my water, but will hopefully help to contain some of bits of nuisance algae I've got going on... and it would be nice to not have to tinker with it every few hours to keep it from overflowing.

Acros look awesome. They might be enjoying the slightly dirtier water- make sure you don't strip the nutrients with that new skimmer :)

I have all 59 of my SPS frags from a 180 in a 20 gallon fusion. Given it's small size, I choose not use a skimmer at all. They have grown better in the 20 than the 180. Given this observation, I am going to run my newly acquired Vertex from BRS :D on a red sea reefer 350 about 40% of a given time period. Not sure what that period will be yet- hourly, daily, weekly, but I am going to give it a shot. I watched a video Leng Si did awhile back comparing his ecomud to berlin w/ a 3rd tank running the skimmer part time. He called the 3rd tank the Paletta method for Mike Paletta who runs the ecomud refugium with a part-time skimmer. The Paletta method out performed the other two.