Coral Vue Hydros

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

So far things are going well with the new Choati. After about 18 hours in the isolation chamber, I released her into the DT. The good news is that the other wrasses are not bothering her at all. The Potter's seems content chasing the Blue Star around and ignores the Choati. She's been playing around in the sand, trying to find a good spot for a permanent burrow. She still doesn't seem all that interested in prepared foods, though she's picked a couple of choice bits here and there. She's looking healthy so far. fingerscrossed

e0e5c5ab-0a59-4dc7-ac42-87b2e0ee6d74_zps

• Like 11

Great pic. Love the scape and amount of open sandbed.

Thanks! I've always liked big open swim-space, and the shallow tanks really give you a unique opportunity to get that.

• Like 1

I found a new fish store this week. It's in Huntington Beach... called Iconic Reef Company. They've got a couple really amazing SPS tanks, including this one:

20160120_140745_zps1vy1txoo.jpg

Check out this little guy. Not sure what species it is, but it's SO tiny. My fingers were on the glass, and he was maybe an inch or two behind... no forced perspective! He's about half the size of my fingernail.

b4b845e0-fb1d-437f-be48-50c48c9a4943_zps

FISH TRAP FAIL

20160122_150236_zpskbuto03g.jpg

• Like 2

Who are you trying to catch?

Trying to catch the Potter's Leopard. She chases the bipartitus around all day. So far she's not bothering the Chaoti, but the rest of the fish all seem very reserved, and I think it's her fault. I'm torn, because she's a gorgeous fish, but I don't like how the others are acting.

man that fish is tiny. Soo cool...maybe a sunset anthia?

I think it's called a Cross's Damsel

• Like 1

Had a scare tonight. We came home from dinner out to find a big puddle on the floor around the tank. The inside of the cabinet around the sump was full of water too. I spent about an hour drying everything and trying to figure out what happened. The water level in the sump was normal, so I didn't think it was a structural problem. All pipes and hoses were intact, and in the proper place.

Turns out one of the doser tubes detached at the pump. Apparently the other end dipped into the sump, and when the opposite end pulled loose, it started a back-siphon and drained a bunch of water from the sump into the cabinet. Word to the wise... make sure that your dosing tubes are well secured, and that the ends aren't anywhere near the surface of the water!

• Like 3

Had a scare tonight. We came home from dinner out to find a big puddle on the floor around the tank. The inside of the cabinet around the sump was full of water too. I spent about an hour drying everything and trying to figure out what happened. The water level in the sump was normal, so I didn't think it was a structural problem. All pipes and hoses were intact, and in the proper place.

Turns out one of the doser tubes detached at the pump. Apparently the other end dipped into the sump, and when the opposite end pulled loose, it started a back-siphon and drained a bunch of water from the sump into the cabinet. Word to the wise... make sure that your dosing tubes are well secured, and that the ends aren't anywhere near the surface of the water!

Hey at least it didn't dump a bunch of chemicals into your tank :-)

Did you check your Sg? I would think it topped off with to much fresh water! Glad to hear everything is good! What are you planning to do with the potters wrasse? I'm looking to home one.. Let me know if your looking to rehome!

Hey at least it didn't dump a bunch of chemicals into your tank :-)

True! The tank is setup to prevent catastrophic occurrences, so barring a total malfunction of the pump drivers.... you know what? I'm not even going to talk about it! :)

Did you check your Sg? I would think it topped off with to much fresh water! Glad to hear everything is good! What are you planning to do with the potters wrasse? I'm looking to home one.. Let me know if your looking to rehome!

I did after you mentioned it! Looks good. I'm guessing that the amount that spilled was less than a gallon. It's amazing how little water it takes on the wood floors to make it look like a total disaster!

• Like 4

Good news! I found a frozen food that my Choati wrasse will eat!

Apparently it's a new type of commercially available frozen copepod called Calanus finmarchicus, from Norway. It's a little bigger than cyclops, and my finicky wrasse went right after it!

I just got it yesterday, but she wouldn't go after mysis, baby brine, cyclops, and she likes this, so I recommending it!

fd-fpcl04.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, that's the stuff that is exactly like the old cyclopeeze except for the name :)

It looks like you found a pack that didn't include PE mysis, though. Are they selling it separate now?

Yep, that's the stuff that is exactly like the old cyclopeeze except for the name :)

It looks like you found a pack that didn't include PE mysis, though. Are they selling it separate now?

Yeah, it's just the copepods. They're similar to the cyclops, except for the fact that my wrasse will eat this, but not the other.

• Like 1

I've been reading up about Leopard Wrasse aggression, and had seen the "mirror trick" mentioned a few times. This is where you place a mirror up against the glass and the fish becomes more concerned about his own reflection than he is about the other tank-mates. I taped a small mirror up against the side of the tank, and have been enjoying the hilarity ever since.

The Potter's wrasse is fascinated by herself.

• Like 2

The mirror trick worked great with my overly aggressive tang.

Was also supper funny watching all the other fish, including the one I was trying to protect from the tang having a pop at themselves in the reflection.

• Like 1

need more pics of your wrasses =)

I agree! That's the most stunning wrasse I've ever seen! The red and white one :).

Thanks guys. I'll try to snap a few more photos tomorrow.

• Like 1