Pod Your Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Interesting...ill let the wife know. I always was a firm believer in using a spray bottle to mist the leaves as well. How often and how much do you water yours?

Once a week. I think they like to dry out a bit between waterings.

Once a week. I think they like to dry out a bit between waterings.

Ok thats about what weve been doing as well...about 2 cups or so per week i wanna say....just feel the spil and water when it feels dry.

The tank is looking awesome btw. I just realized were going back and forth about a plant and I havnt mentioned anything about how awesome your tank is looking. Love the growth your getting...its quite impressive.

Ok thats about what weve been doing as well...about 2 cups or so per week i wanna say....just feel the spil and water when it feels dry.

The tank is looking awesome btw. I just realized were going back and forth about a plant and I havnt mentioned anything about how awesome your tank is looking. Love the growth your getting...its quite impressive.

Thanks alot. I don't mind chatting about non-tank stuff from time to time. A while back there was a couple pages of conversation about a table I was making! ;)

Thanks Gena! It's a Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata). It's a beautiful plant, and good indoors if you have a nice bright spot for it. They love to have a lot of light filtered through a window. I've had several of them in the past and had a hard time keeping them alive, because I never had a good bright window to put them in. I think this one does well because it's smaller than a full sized tree, and I think that it might get a little boost from the Radion!

They come in a columnar format with leaves all the way up the stock, and a traditional tree format. They have great big, rubbery leaves, that are bright green in the right conditions.

Fiddle-Leaf-Fig-Tree.jpg

You're very sweet to say so! :wub:

I've seen them before and love them :). Thanks for the name! I don't have ideal lighting indoors but maybe on the back patio :).

Saw a post on R2R about using a shop vac to perform water changes. My only question is, "How did I never think of this?"

You can buy a vacuum motor that clips right on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Then you can just suck crap out of the bottom of your sump, without needing to mess with the siphon tubes, etc.

f481d0ed-0c4d-4201-a581-280b55f3b824_400

Or, if you want to get really fancy, you can buy a shop-vac that comes with a built-in internal pump. You attach a garden hose to it, and as the reservoir fills up, the pump switches on, and pumps the contents out (to draiin). No lifting/moving heavy buckets. Pretty friggin brilliant.

Only downsize I can see is that it would happen pretty quickly, so you couldn't be quite as leisurely with your vacuuming.

Anyone do this?

Got a new stick from a local reefer yesterday. Pro Corals (PC) Rainbow acropora. It's a very pretty piece. Right now it's got red polyps over an orange'ish base. I've read that depending on the lighting situation, they'll go anywhere from blue & green, to orange and red. It'll be interesting to see how this one does in my tank. Everything I've seen says it's a quick grower, and hardy. Good stuff!

25b16c69-0503-409f-9515-5dc951376c3c_zps

• Like 1

Got a few growth shots for you guys. Looking pretty good!

What was sold to me as Pink Lemonade is looking suspiciously like Strawberry Shortcake. Who knows?! Mostly encrusting, and starting to grow out of the base. Strange how the frag itself hasn't really grown.

Pink%20Lemonade%20Growth%2003-16_zpshmka

Pink and green stylo is really taking off, and the color is pretty amazing.

Stylo%20Growth%203-16_zps5bpbau2t.png

Green Mille's growth has been pretty amazing.

Mille%20Growth_zpsj7e9pnai.png

• Like 5

Green Mille is impressive indeed !

Thanks man!

Green Slimer is starting to branch out. Finally!! I hate having the long phallic shaft thrusting up in the middle of my tank. Maybe now it'll start to look a little more natural!

20160303_104830_zpsxdzbhctb.jpg

• Like 3

Got a new stick from a local reefer yesterday. Pro Corals (PC) Rainbow acropora. It's a very pretty piece. Right now it's got red polyps over an orange'ish base. I've read that depending on the lighting situation, they'll go anywhere from blue & green, to orange and red. It'll be interesting to see how this one does in my tank. Everything I've seen says it's a quick grower, and hardy. Good stuff!

25b16c69-0503-409f-9515-5dc951376c3c_zps

Glad to see you got one of these, let us know how it does. Mine is near death at the moment but hanging on. :)

Thanks man!

Green Slimer is starting to branch out. Finally!! I hate having the long phallic shaft thrusting up in the middle of my tank. Maybe now it'll start to look a little more natural!

20160303_104830_zpsxdzbhctb.jpg

:lol:

20160306_152455_zpsac1kqam4.jpg

20160306_183132_zpsnlnwx2oh.jpg

20160306_183340_zpsbejzmefg.jpg

Looking gorgeous as always! I love the reflections from the top of the water. that's my favorite photo.

• Like 1