Cultivated Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

OMG...do something like this with it, minus the yellow tang :).

I'm thinking something like that minus the yellow tang, plus some mangroves. :ninja:

• Like 2

I'm thinking something like that minus the yellow tang, plus some mangroves. :ninja:

Sweet :happydance:.

Speaking of plants....I haven't been searching it out, but when I go to a place that has live plants, I look for a fiddle leaf fig :). I'm going to get one eventually LOL.

There's a house in my neighborhood that has one planted outside in the landscape! It's getting pretty big!

Sweet :happydance:.

Speaking of plants....I haven't been searching it out, but when I go to a place that has live plants, I look for a fiddle leaf fig :). I'm going to get one eventually LOL.

There's a house in my neighborhood that has one planted outside in the landscape! It's getting pretty big!

Check Home Depot!

20160314_163433_zpsyumr6xdq.jpg

• Like 2

Bought a bunch of Red Mangrove propagules from a vendor on Amazon. They came quickly, in great shape, and even included a fair amount of bonus plants!

I found some insulation sytrofoam at Home Depot, punched holes in it, and will float the plants in the third chamber of my sump. They'll get plenty of light there, won't get in the way of any equipment, and won't float around at all. The styrofoam I bought has foil coating on one side, which I thought might help with a little extra reflected light to help when they leaf out.

The goal here is to let the plants begin to sprout roots, and as they grow, to continually raise the plants out of the water. This should encourage the part of the roots that become exposed to air to strengthen and harden into aerial roots. Eventually, I'd like to use these in a new shallow, sandy beach setup.

:

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy whatever nutrient export they might provide, however nominal. :)

20160314_171854_zps3pfpq5t9.jpg

• Like 5

After much peer pressure, I joined the dark side!

Weeping Willow Leather

20160317_203127_zpsibkxr3jc.jpg

NICE!!!!!

So now we can do an even trade one day...weeping willow for grubes gorgonian???? fingerscrossed

Where'd you find that leather?

• Like 1

NICE!!!!!

So now we can do an even trade one day...weeping willow for grubes gorgonian???? fingerscrossed

Where'd you find that leather?

One day! It was at my LFS. If you're ever down in Orange County, you've got to check it out. It's fantastic!

He "guaranteed" that in 6 months, that will be my favorite coral in my tank.

• Like 2

One day! It was at my LFS. If you're ever down in Orange County, you've got to check it out. It's fantastic!

I want one! LOL

What's the name of the LFS? I will most likely be down there next month and I will definitely make an extra trip :).

I recently picked one up from Live aquaria diver's den and am so excited about it :0) And I'm excited about your beachy tank!!!! And softies :wub: And did you go to the LFS for water????

I want one! LOL

What's the name of the LFS? I will most likely be down there next month and I will definitely make an extra trip :).

He's got quite a few. They're a little pricey, but I guess they're not all that common. From the little bit of research I did, they're actually under-priced. The shop is called Amazing Aquariums and Reefs in the city of Orange. The owner, Ali is really cool, and his shop is set up with amazing display tanks... not a bunch of frag tanks. Let me know when you're coming down!

I recently picked one up from Live aquaria diver's den and am so excited about it :0) And I'm excited about your beachy tank!!!! And softies :wub: And did you go to the LFS for water????

Obviously! The beach tank is going to take some time. I want to get some good roots going on the mangroves first, so we'll both have to have patience!

leather fever is spreading....

I just don't like to be left out!

This tank is looking amazing! Good job

Thanks man... much appreciated!

• Like 2

^Ali really has great stuff. He is where I get most of my coral from. Totally worth the drive from LA! I am lucky that I only live 15 minutes from his store.

• Like 1

He's got quite a few. They're a little pricey, but I guess they're not all that common. From the little bit of research I did, they're actually under-priced. The shop is called Amazing Aquariums and Reefs in the city of Orange. The owner, Ali is really cool, and his shop is set up with amazing display tanks... not a bunch of frag tanks. Let me know when you're coming down!

I'll be down the end of the month..I think it's April 23rd. I'll let you know :). You into reptiles? There's an expo at the OC fairgrounds that weekend. You could find yourself a cute and feminine lizard LOLOLOL.

That LFS is pretty much on the route so I'll go there after the show. Thanks for the info :).

• Like 1

^Ali really has great stuff. He is where I get most of my coral from. Totally worth the drive from LA! I am lucky that I only live 15 minutes from his store.

He's a great resource, and always has super nice stuff to look at!

I'll be down the end of the month..I think it's April 23rd. I'll let you know :). You into reptiles? There's an expo at the OC fairgrounds that weekend. You could find yourself a cute and feminine lizard LOLOLOL.

That LFS is pretty much on the route so I'll go there after the show. Thanks for the info :).

My fiance would literally (figuratively) kill me if I brought home a lizard... especially a cute feminine one! But I've always wanted to go to one of the shows.

I used to have bearded dragons and green iguanas, but that was the extent of my herpetology.

MAX (Marine Aquarium Expo) is happening on the weekend of the 2nd if you have any interest in that. It's at the fairgrounds too.

• Like 2

But you know I don't have patience :) weeping willows are hard to find! I found mine on live aquaria a few weeks ago. That's awesome you found one at your LFS!

• Like 1

But you know I don't have patience :) weeping willows are hard to find! I found mine on live aquaria a few weeks ago. That's awesome you found one at your LFS!

Why do you think they call it a weeping willow?

weepingwilowleather.jpg

• Like 3

Why do you think they call it a weeping willow?

weepingwilowleather.jpg

:lol: it looks like that girl on the muppets that has the hair that hangs down in front of her face :lol:

• Like 1

I had another NEAR disaster sometime during the night.

I come downstairs this morning, and everything in/on/over/under the tank is off. Bad sign... Water level in the tank is way low, a few corals chilling above the water line...Water must have back-siphoned through the return pipe into the sump. Luckily I have 6-8" to spare. (I guess I won't be raising the water level in my sump any time soon!) All the outlets in that corner of the room are non-functioning. Circuit breakers must have popped. That means there was a short. Probably water related. Damn...

I unplug the main power source from the wall, reset the breaker and plugged it back in... BUZZING, SMOKE, SPARKS, FIRE!

Quickly shut it all down, and start repowering things one at a time. The cluprit is the newest MP10. Of course... they're the bane of my existence!. But what happened? The controller is still FIRMLY attached to the wall, power cords in place where they should be. The power source is wet. Really wet. WTF? So is my skimmer... like everywhere, even where it shouldn't be wet. The cup is full of water.

Damn. Apparently at some point the skimmer went from being perfectly dialed in and lightly skimming foam, to shooting water everywhere, and soaking the power source of the MP10 and shorting it out. Thank goodness the circuit breaker broke, otherwise I would almost certainly have had a fire. Because of my previous disaster(s), the tank's fail-safes worked, and no livestock seems to have been affected. I'm just glad this didn't happen while I was out of town or something. My other MP10 is working fine, and should provide plenty of flow until I can figure out what to do with the damaged one. I'm pretty sick of replacing MP10 drivers now, after what... 4? And what happened to my skimmer? There's got to be some way to prevent such violent overflows from happening in the future.

Scary times, but I think I made it through largely unscathed. I'm sure I'll have to replace the MP10 (again), but beyond that, no harm, no foul.

I come downstairs this morning, and everything in/on/over/under the tank is off. Bad sign... Water level in the tank is way low, a few corals chilling above the water line...Water must have back-siphoned through the return pipe into the sump. Luckily I have 6-8" to spare. (I guess I won't be raising the water level in my sump any time soon!) All the outlets in that corner of the room are non-functioning. Circuit breakers must have popped. That means there was a short. Probably water related. Damn...

I unplug the main power source from the wall, reset the breaker and plugged it back in... BUZZING, SMOKE, SPARKS, FIRE!

Quickly shut it all down, and start repowering things one at a time. The cluprit is the newest MP10. Of course... they're the bane of my existence!. But what happened? The controller is still FIRMLY attached to the wall, power cords in place where they should be. The power source is wet. Really wet. WTF? So is my skimmer... like everywhere, even where it shouldn't be wet. The cup is full of water.

Damn. Apparently at some point the skimmer went from being perfectly dialed in and lightly skimming foam, to shooting water everywhere, and soaking the power source of the MP10 and shorting it out. Thank goodness the circuit breaker broke, otherwise I would almost certainly have had a fire. Because of my previous disaster(s), the tank's fail-safes worked, and no livestock seems to have been affected. I'm just glad this didn't happen while I was out of town or something. My other MP10 is working fine, and should provide plenty of flow until I can figure out what to do with the damaged one. I'm pretty sick of replacing MP10 drivers now, after what... 4? And what happened to my skimmer? There's got to be some way to prevent such violent overflows from happening in the future.

Scary times, but I think I made it through largely unscathed. I'm sure I'll have to replace the MP10 (again), but beyond that, no harm, no foul.

:o OMFG, CHRIS! that is awful! But thank god you put those failsafes in.

My fiance would literally (figuratively) kill me if I brought home a lizard... especially a cute feminine one! But I've always wanted to go to one of the shows.

I used to have bearded dragons and green iguanas, but that was the extent of my herpetology.

MAX (Marine Aquarium Expo) is happening on the weekend of the 2nd if you have any interest in that. It's at the fairgrounds too.

I've never been to a reptile show so should be interesting. I'm only going for the crested geckos LOL.

I've been to RAP before (I assume it's pretty similar to MAX) so I know what I'll be missing. It was fun. I'm not in the market for anything really. But I would buy a weeping willow toadstool if I found one. Especially if it turns into that pink hairy thing you posted a photo of :lol:.

Glad the fail safe worked. This happened to me too with my skimmer when breaking in. During the night, the cup overflowed and water shot up through the holes on the skimmer cup cover. Luckily, with the Red Sea Reefer, all the 'non water" safe equipments are in a separate compartment of the stand. My sump got wet everywhere and water leaked onto the floor. But my Apex, power strip, power supplies were not affected. I thought about how to prevent skimmer overflow but didn't come with any good idea. Ideally the extra water should just overflow into your sump and not shoot up. I thought about making an umbrella for the skimmer....

:o OMFG, CHRIS! that is awful! But thank god you put those failsafes in.

I know right! :blink:

I've never been to a reptile show so should be interesting. I'm only going for the crested geckos LOL.

I've been to RAP before (I assume it's pretty similar to MAX) so I know what I'll be missing. It was fun. I'm not in the market for anything really. But I would buy a weeping willow toadstool if I found one. Especially if it turns into that pink hairy thing you posted a photo of :lol:.

MAX is a little less awesome than RAP, so no worries if you don't make it! We can get you a weeping willow at the shop I told you about, he's always got them!

Glad the fail safe worked. This happened to me too with my skimmer when breaking in. During the night, the cup overflowed and water shot up through the holes on the skimmer cup cover. Luckily, with the Red Sea Reefer, all the 'non water" safe equipments are in a separate compartment of the stand. My sump got wet everywhere and water leaked onto the floor. But my Apex, power strip, power supplies were not affected. I thought about how to prevent skimmer overflow but didn't come with any good idea. Ideally the extra water should just overflow into your sump and not shoot up. I thought about making an umbrella for the skimmer....

That's nice that you've got a "dry" compartment. I would love to set up a custom stand one day with a safe chamber, but for now, I think I just need to do the best I can.

I don't understand the skimmer either. It's one of the things in this hobby that constantly frustrates me. I can never get it working right for extended periods of time.

• Like 2

I know right! :blink:

MAX is a little less awesome than RAP, so no worries if you don't make it! We can get you a weeping willow at the shop I told you about, he's always got them!

That's nice that you've got a "dry" compartment. I would love to set up a custom stand one day with a safe chamber, but for now, I think I just need to do the best I can.

I don't understand the skimmer either. It's one of the things in this hobby that constantly frustrates me. I can never get it working right for extended periods of time.

I mounted all of my electronics except the doser on the back of the stand, mp40 controller and ATO controller are on the side. I just was too nervous to mount them inside with all the humidity and after what you went through before with your mp10. Scared the crap out of me.