Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Final Update:

I decided it was time to retire this tank. It was a wild journey, with ups and downs, but I consider it a success. I had a few major crashes, but managed to bounce back each time, and in the end I had a system I was pretty happy with. 

In the end, I'm just a little burned out on reef keeping. I love the hobby, and I imagine I'll be back before too long. I'm not sure if I'll sell my tank/gear, or just mothball it and hope it all works when I decide I'm bored and want to start again.  For now, I'm going to take a break, and let my wife have a home without the purple LED glow and constant guttural droning of a protein skimmer. 

It is bittersweet to shut it all down, and I realize how attached I've become to some of my tank's inhabitants. I sold most of my corals, and my male leopard wrasse. I was surprised how concerned I am for his health and well-being. I've been texting with the guy who bought him, asking him to keep me updated. Regarding the clowns, they've been with me since they were babies, almost 5 years, and I couldn't bring myself to sell them to a stranger. The idea of them going into some nasty tank only to die a month later because the guy didn't QT something was a non-starter, so I brought them to my favorite fish store, Amazing Aquariums and Reefs in Orange for those of you in the area, and he's going to add them to his (surprisingly long) Do-Not-Sell list. They're now comfortably residing in a sweet 40g filled with long-tentacle toadstools, and a special-needs Blue Tang. His shop is filled with awesome display tanks, and they'll live out their days as pets, and I'll get to visit them from time to time.

enhance

Thanks everyone for following along for the ride, for the advise and encouragement. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about you breaking things down.

But I do understand.

It's good to know you haven't closed the book entirely on reefing, but instead you simply turned to a new chapter.

Looking forward to seeing your next build thread. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for setting a great example of how to shut down a tank gracefully. I'm sad to see this beautiful tank shut down, but we all need a break sooner or later. I'm 100% sure you'll be back, though!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...