Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

HarryPotter
On 7/1/2017 at 1:22 PM, cnseekatz said:

I just pulled out my Coralife Turbo Twist UV Sterlizer on a hunch, and found it full of rust. Not sure if that has anything to do with my torches melting, but I'm hoping that was what was happening.

If you use the Turbo Twist, check it often (like once a month) because the internal metal reflector, which comes into contact with salt water (by design), will rust. I can't believe that the product is manufactured that way. I can't believe I bought one!

I have a turbo twist ?

On 7/2/2017 at 4:55 PM, markalot said:

Congrats on TOTM, well deserved.  The tank looks awesome!

On 7/3/2017 at 6:43 AM, Arce said:

Congrats on TOTM

On 7/3/2017 at 7:50 AM, gogeta said:

Amazing tank!

On 7/3/2017 at 10:20 AM, teenyreef said:

Dang, I fall behind by three weeks and all of a sudden you've gotten TOTM! Congratulations!

Thanks guys. That means a lot coming from such accomplished folks!

On 7/3/2017 at 10:33 AM, HarryPotter said:

I have a turbo twist ?

ErgZX6x.jpg

• Like 2
HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

ErgZX6x.jpg

And I'm going through some random acro RTN :o 

Taking it out as soon as I get home. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

And I'm going through some random acro RTN :o 

Taking it out as soon as I get home. 

Worth taking a look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris, you wouldn't happen to have your parts list for the mixing station build would you from Page 64?  I'm not good remembering what parts I need and can't visualize it when I'm at the store. 

On 8/8/2017 at 6:26 AM, TatorTaco said:

Chris, you wouldn't happen to have your parts list for the mixing station build would you from Page 64?  I'm not good remembering what parts I need and can't visualize it when I'm at the store. 

I would recommend drawing it out on a piece of paper, and writing a parts list. I had to go back a few times because I forgot stuff. Customize it however you want. 

Here's the basic concept. I used 3/4" PVC for everything because it's the easiest to find. For the manifold:

2 x Trash Barrel - I made the freshwater about twice the size of the saltwater container.

3 x Bulkhead Fitting - To attach your pipes to the inside of your trashcans.

5 x PVC Union (Slip) - Quickly disconnect trash cans and pump from the manifold.

5 x PVC Adapter (Female) - Threaded to Slip - To attach pvc to pump and to bulkheads

5 x Ball Valve 

4 x PVC Tee

7 x PVC Elbow

2 x PVC 45-Degree

1 x PVC Check Valve - To prevent back-flow of water into pump when it's off (probably not necessary)

PVC Pipe - You won't need much unless you're spreading this out. I bought two 10' sections and I had a lot left over.

For the electronics:

1 x Panworld 50PX external pump (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pan-world-50px.html) - This is a perfect pump for this application. Good flow rate, quiet and reliable.

1 x American DJ Four Channel Power Switcher (https://www.amazon.com/American-Four-Channel-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002DNUY8) - Switch pump on/off instead of relying on pulling a plug or using ball valves to control flow.

1 x Heater - I had a spare lying around that I switch on while I'm mixing. My garage stays warm, but useful if your setup is somewhere where it gets cold.

• Like 1

Hi, Chris :flower:

Did I ever tell you I acquired a fiddle leaf fig?  It's a tree LOL.  Too big for in the house even, my house is tiny, but it's at the point where I can start propagating it (lots of baby growth down low)...gonna do some cuttings and those babies (or one of those babies) will be in the house :D.  Love those plants!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

I would recommend drawing it out on a piece of paper, and writing a parts list. I had to go back a few times because I forgot stuff. Customize it however you want. 

Here's the basic concept. I used 3/4" PVC for everything because it's the easiest to find. For the manifold:

2 x Trash Barrel - I made the freshwater about twice the size of the saltwater container.

3 x Bulkhead Fitting - To attach your pipes to the inside of your trashcans.

5 x PVC Union (Slip) - Quickly disconnect trash cans and pump from the manifold.

5 x PVC Adapter (Female) - Threaded to Slip - To attach pvc to pump and to bulkheads

5 x Ball Valve 

4 x PVC Tee

7 x PVC Elbow

2 x PVC 45-Degree

1 x PVC Check Valve - To prevent back-flow of water into pump when it's off (probably not necessary)

PVC Pipe - You won't need much unless you're spreading this out. I bought two 10' sections and I had a lot left over.

For the electronics:

1 x Panworld 50PX external pump (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pan-world-50px.html) - This is a perfect pump for this application. Good flow rate, quiet and reliable.

1 x American DJ Four Channel Power Switcher (https://www.amazon.com/American-Four-Channel-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002DNUY8) - Switch pump on/off instead of relying on pulling a plug or using ball valves to control flow.

1 x Heater - I had a spare lying around that I switch on while I'm mixing. My garage stays warm, but useful if your setup is somewhere where it gets cold.

You sir, are my hero!

Did I tell you that I bought at Cadlights 45G Shallow? It's supposed to be delivered next week (maybe).  I've spent a small fortune already buying all the necessary equipment.  Figured I'd spend the weekend trying to get something like this set up.  Not sure if I have the money to get it completed this weekend since I just placed another order at BRS this morning. 

2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

You sir, are my hero!

Did I tell you that I bought at Cadlights 45G Shallow? It's supposed to be delivered next week (maybe).  I've spent a small fortune already buying all the necessary equipment.  Figured I'd spend the weekend trying to get something like this set up.  Not sure if I have the money to get it completed this weekend since I just placed another order at BRS this morning. 

Thanks awesome! Have you started a build thread yet?

3 hours ago, gena said:

Hi, Chris :flower:

Did I ever tell you I acquired a fiddle leaf fig?  It's a tree LOL.  Too big for in the house even, my house is tiny, but it's at the point where I can start propagating it (lots of baby growth down low)...gonna do some cuttings and those babies (or one of those babies) will be in the house :D.  Love those plants!

Haha... nice. My wife is demanding I replace the little one we have in the living room with a big full-sized one. She won't listen to reason....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Thanks awesome! Have you started a build thread yet?

Haha... nice. My wife is demanding I replace the little one we have in the living room with a big full-sized one. She won't listen to reason....

haha...do they grow pretty fast?  Mine was already a tree when I got it so I have no idea.  It was hating life with it's former owner and I brought it back to life :).  Unless you have a big space, stick with the small ones LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

@cnseekatz, could you explain or provide a picture of how you mounted your DJ Power Bar to your stand?  I simply can't figure it out, and because the stand is MDF, I'm concerned that if I screw it to the side of the stand, it'll appear quite unsightly. 

On 8/24/2017 at 4:59 AM, TatorTaco said:

@cnseekatz, could you explain or provide a picture of how you mounted your DJ Power Bar to your stand?  I simply can't figure it out, and because the stand is MDF, I'm concerned that if I screw it to the side of the stand, it'll appear quite unsightly. 

Yeah, they're a little tricky because their mounting brackets are on the face plate, facing backward. They're meant to be flush-mounted in a rack. Seeing as how we don't have a rack in our stand, we have to get creative.

Assuming we have the same stand, there are two beefy support beams running front to back at the top of the stand. I just drilled and screwed a couple of eye-bolts into the outside edge of each of the those struts and cinched the power strip to the eye-bolts with a couple of zip ties. I also used a couple of strips of heavy duty velcro to stick the top of the power bar to the underside of the support beams. The velcro will actually hold the bar by itself, and prevent it from moving side to side, and the zip ties just keep everything tight in the (certain) event that the velcro fails.

5 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Yeah, they're a little tricky because their mounting brackets are on the face plate, facing backward. They're meant to be flush-mounted in a rack. Seeing as how we don't have a rack in our stand, we have to get creative.

Assuming we have the same stand, there are two beefy support beams running front to back at the top of the stand. I just drilled and screwed a couple of eye-bolts into the outside edge of each of the those struts and cinched the power strip to the eye-bolts with a couple of zip ties. I also used a couple of strips of heavy duty velcro to stick the top of the power bar to the underside of the support beams. The velcro will actually hold the bar by itself, and prevent it from moving side to side, and the zip ties just keep everything tight in the (certain) event that the velcro fails.

That's a bummer - I don't have struts going from front to back at the top of the stand.  I didn't want to clutter up the Aquarium Journals with a build thread while the rock is curing, but maybe I will go ahead with it just to get a little input on the matter. I'm thinking about building a false shelf up at the top of the stand, but I'm:  not creative, not good with tools, not sure how to do it without putting holes in the side of my tank. 

5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

That's a bummer - I don't have struts going from front to back at the top of the stand.  I didn't want to clutter up the Aquarium Journals with a build thread while the rock is curing, but maybe I will go ahead with it just to get a little input on the matter. I'm thinking about building a false shelf up at the top of the stand, but I'm:  not creative, not good with tools, not sure how to do it without putting holes in the side of my tank. 

You can PM a couple pictures if you want, and I'll give you my thoughts.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2017 at 8:24 AM, stellablue said:

Everything looks beautiful as usual!!!

Thank you darlin'! Congrats on your Reef Weeds tank. Looking good!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

that's one good looking bulls eye pistol :wub:. Does he come out and walk around a lot?

Thanks! Yeah, he's a boss nowadays. He was very shy for a long time, but he's out and about a lot now especially when it's feeding time. He takes food from the tweezers.

enhance

• Like 3