SaltCritters.com

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

21 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

those zoas are nice and big.  

so i ended up getting a regular leopard wrasse.  not eating yet and very shy.  hoping she will pull through.  

Have you tried any live foods? Just feed aggressively.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Have you tried any live foods? Just feed aggressively.

Got a potter's wrasse today.  Can't pass it up.  $35 and crazy bright colors.  Have the potter in my nano right now to get it to eat frozen.  It's a lot smaller than the leopard.  Do I need to be worried about aggression between them?  

Saw the leopard pick at some mysis today.  It's still very very fat so I am not too worried.

On 5/19/2017 at 3:50 PM, cnseekatz said:

Here's a couple random corals. Composition isn't really noteworthy, but the colors are looking nice.

20170516_112211_zpskailexyr.jpg

20170516_112137_zpszwwdbox1.jpg

20170516_112129_zpspwh74q4m.jpg

Beautiful :wub: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Got a potter's wrasse today.  Can't pass it up.  $35 and crazy bright colors.  Have the potter in my nano right now to get it to eat frozen.  It's a lot smaller than the leopard.  Do I need to be worried about aggression between them?  

Saw the leopard pick at some mysis today.  It's still very very fat so I am not too worried.

There's always a chance for aggression with leopards.... especially if you have one that's considerably smaller than the other(s). If you do have aggression, there are some things you can do. The most important part is to make sure everyone is eating. If you can keep the Potter's isolated until it's used to your lighting schedule, and it's eating frozen, then you're ahead of the game.

• Like 2

I had a bit of re-scape-itis this morning and moved some things around. Besides breaking a couple colonies off their rocks (oops) it was pretty successful. I lifted a few rocks off the sand, and propped them up onto some pillars. I also made a point to create a couple coral overhangs, which I really like.

aa20c2f7-06f0-46e0-bdc8-f04ff63e7f6d_zps

• Like 9
Dainese954
On 4/22/2017 at 9:35 AM, cnseekatz said:

A word to the wise: For all those of you who run Radions, make sure you add Radion Maintenance to your to-do list. I noticed yesterday that there was a strange clicking coming from my tank, and a process of elimination revealed that it was coming from my light. This morning, I removed the top plate and it looked like the inside of a vacuum cleaner bag in there. Just dust piled on dust piled on dust. There was even a dead moth in there, which I'm sure was the source of the clicking. The fan blades were nipping the dead moth's wings. So I removed the fan and brushed it was a stiff bristled paint brush, then used a tooth pick and dry cloth to clean the metal elements underneath. I brushed all the crap off the fan blades, and gave everything a good wipe down with a paper towel with a bit of Windex on it. 

Now the fan is silent, and I can actually see a bit of air current under the unit. I imagine that just extended the life of my Radion a bit.

sddefault.jpg

Nice to know! gorgeous setup, I guess I'll give my Gen3 Pro a good vacuum while the new build is cycling. I'm in the process of building a IM SR-60 with the tank being 36" did you feel the need to install the wide angle lenses on the Gen3pro xr30? I was looking to get 2 XR15s but I already have a XR30 with the RMS. I'll be doing mainly Hammers and some Nems. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Dainese954 said:

Nice to know! gorgeous setup, I guess I'll give my Gen3 Pro a good vacuum while the new build is cycling. I'm in the process of building a IM SR-60 with the tank being 36" did you feel the need to install the wide angle lenses on the Gen3pro xr30? I was looking to get 2 XR15s but I already have a XR30 with the RMS. I'll be doing mainly Hammers and some Nems. Thanks!!

If you use the wide angle lenses on the XR30, you'll get good coverage over 36". Obviously, you'll lose PAR toward the edges of that 36", and you'll lose a bit of light penetration toward the bottom of the tank since the wide angle lenses diffuse the light. But I think the SR-60 is only 16" deep, so I wouldn't worry about penetration. Since you're not going heavy SPS, it should be fine.

• Like 1

Wow looks great Chris!!! Really proud of how you stuck in there after the original crash and now everything is better than before...talk about resiliency!Definitely serves as inspiration to the reefing community to hang in there when you experience challenges.

BTW How much are you doing daily to keep up with alk consumption?

Dainese954
2 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

If you use the wide angle lenses on the XR30, you'll get good coverage over 36". Obviously, you'll lose PAR toward the edges of that 36", and you'll lose a bit of light penetration toward the bottom of the tank since the wide angle lenses diffuse the light. But I think the SR-60 is only 16" deep, so I wouldn't worry about penetration. Since you're not going heavy SPS, it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! Why aren't you using the Wide angle lenses? or do you feel like it isn't needed? Less par on the side means less glass algae.. lol 

4 hours ago, Rehype said:

Wow looks great Chris!!! Really proud of how you stuck in there after the original crash and now everything is better than before...talk about resiliency!Definitely serves as inspiration to the reefing community to hang in there when you experience challenges.

BTW How much are you doing daily to keep up with alk consumption?

Thanks man... very nice of you to say. Your Archipelago tank was the inspiration for both of my tanks! So, now I just need you to fly out to CA and bring your SLR and take some pictures for me! Don't worry, there's a lot of fun stuff to do here in Orange County! ;)

I dose 40 mL of both elements of B-Ionic 2 part per day. Then 5 mL of Mg and 5 mL of aminos. I recently reduced my two part from 45 mL because my ALK was running a little high... and I like my ALK high! :)

2 hours ago, Dainese954 said:

Thanks for the reply! Why aren't you using the Wide angle lenses? or do you feel like it isn't needed? Less par on the side means less glass algae.. lol 

I am using the wide angle lenses. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I don't think the normal lenses would give me the coverage I need to grow corals all the way across the 36".

• Like 1

My PC Rainbow has settled in with pretty much no rainbow. It's a pretty pink color, but all of the greens and yellows are gone. I think that means it's getting plenty of light. But where the growth tips used to be white, now they're bright blue. The blue doesn't really come through much in this picture, but it's pretty striking in the tank.

unnamed_zpsxc9y0was.jpg

20170522_111441_zpsukc67ohz.jpg

Here's the new scape... top down style...

20170522_111652_zps28a1igyb.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, cnseekatz said:

Thanks man... very nice of you to say. Your Archipelago tank was the inspiration for both of my tanks! So, now I just need you to fly out to CA and bring your SLR and take some pictures for me! Don't worry, there's a lot of fun stuff to do here in Orange County! ;)

I dose 40 mL of both elements of B-Ionic 2 part per day. Then 5 mL of Mg and 5 mL of aminos. I recently reduced my two part from 45 mL because my ALK was running a little high... and I like my ALK high! :)

No worries.Man that would be cool...If only I had the time.

How high do you run your alk?

13 minutes ago, Rehype said:

No worries.Man that would be cool...If only I had the time.

How high do you run your alk?

I normally run my dKH at 11. It crept up to about 12.5 when I started noticing some burnt tips. 

So I'm here to say that stacking rocks haphazardly, with no glue or clay or binding agent of any kind is a two-edged sword. It's fast and easy, and makes routine reorganizing a piece of cake. The bad news is that occasionally, everything will come crashing down. The entire center structure in my tank came crashing down yesterday. Well, to be clear, one piece fell, and when I tried to fix it, the rest of the pile came crumbling down.

So here's my new new scape. I actually like it better now. It's a little more dramatic, and feels more deliberate. Before, I was getting to a point where my tank felt like a pile of rocks with corals growing on them. Now there is some form and it's visually appealing from different angles. At least it's appealing to me... and we all know that's all that matters! ;)

P.S. Forgive the angry torch, who just happens to be front and center. It's been losing heads lately, and I don't know why.

Make sure you click the gear icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the video, hit quality, and make sure you're viewing in 1080p!

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Looking good man....Love how the damsel keeps challenging the clowns....theyre such jerks :lol:

Haha... yeah, he's becoming more brazen lately. All the (remaining) fish in my tank have been together for over a year. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to add any more fish, I'm going to have to clean house and start from scratch. There is a tenuous peace in my tank, but any newcomers just get beat up.

• Like 1