SaltCritters.com

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

These two colonies seem to have gotten used to each other... not much fighting anymore. This is my favorite contrast in the tank. They really pop next to each other. Go go color wheel!!

20170208_171605_zpstrana1fi.jpg

Here's more color wheel experimentation. These two HAVEN'T made peace yet. I'm hoping the Anacropora can grow fast enough to avoid getting completely swallowed up by Gena's Idaho Grape...

20170208_171401_zpsrkadj5y0.jpg

PC Rainbow is looking pretty happy these days. At one point I had to frag off 80% of the colony when it died.

20170208_172118_zpsitucyzuo.jpg

A shot of my SPS graveyard. Lesson: They ain't dead until they're dead!

20170208_171449_zpsfxt3iymj.jpg

Having my own grow out contest. Pink Lemonade vs Strawberry Shortcake...

20170208_171926_zpsdagi9dkp.jpg

I have no idea what this guy is, or where he came from... He's always been a brown nothing. I'm curious to see what it turns into...

20170208_172318_zpsl35jomka.jpg

Cool growth pattern on this guy... Setosa or Digitata?

20170208_172225_zps10vwu8xq.jpg

• Like 7

A shot of my SPS graveyard. Lesson: They ain't dead until they're dead!

TRUTH!!! I have a palm sized undata (grown out from quarter sized) that I almost TOSSED because it looked dead and started growing algae. I upped the LED's for other corals and OMG the undata came back better than ever after 3 months. What a loss that would have been!!

• Like 1

Looking good chris....so no more algae?

Nope! Vibrant kicked my dinos, but gave me an outbreak of Bryopsis. Fluconazole killed the Bryopsis, but gave me an outbreak of cyano. Chemiclean knocked out my cyano, and gave me a tank I'm okay taking pictures of!! :)

• Like 9

Nope! Vibrant kicked my dinos, but gave me an outbreak of Bryopsis. Fluconazole killed the Bryopsis, but gave me an outbreak of cyano. Chemiclean knocked out my cyano, and gave me a tank I'm okay taking pictures of!! :)

Wow that was quite the journey! Glad its all sorted out. Kudos for hanging in there

• Like 2

Better living through chemistry :lol:

But it looks beautiful, and it's encouraging to know that you persisted and found a solution every time.

• Like 3

Wow that was quite the journey! Glad its all sorted out. Kudos for hanging in there

Better living through chemistry :lol:

But it looks beautiful, and it's encouraging to know that you persisted and found a solution every time.

Thanks guys. This is the first time I've ever used additives to try and combat anything bad in my tank. I've always preferred a natural method, like a predator... but I have to say, this stuff worked for me, and I haven't seen any adverse effects from any of the treatments. I think that with slightly more attentive maintenance... I have the tools to keep my tank clean for the long run!

Though I do have to say, that as I keep adding SPS, and keep rearranging rocks to accommodate growth and good flow, I seem to have lost the deliberate form of my original aquascape. I went from a two structure design with height differentials and a very distinct chasm, to basically a big pile of rocks with corals growing on them. The corals are happy, and I love watching the tank, but I feel a little self-conscious looking at some of these tanks with really thoughtful, well executed hardscape plans.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. This is the first time I've ever used additives to try and combat anything bad in my tank. I've always preferred a natural method, like a predator... but I have to say, this stuff worked for me, and I haven't seen any adverse effects from any of the treatments. I think that with slightly more attentive maintenance... I have the tools to keep my tank clean for the long run!

Though I do have to say, that as I keep adding SPS, and keep rearranging rocks to accommodate growth and good flow, I seem to have lost the deliberate form of my original aquascape. I went from a two structure design with height differentials and a very distinct chasm, to basically a big pile of rocks with corals growing on them. The corals are happy, and I love watching the tank, but I feel a little self-conscious looking at some of these tanks with really thoughtful, well executed hardscape plans.

I used to think like you, going the natural route in terms of pest control, but have since used chemiclean and vibrant. Some may frown upon using chemicals, and preach to us about regular maintenance and diligence when introducing animals, yet what if that does not work? Are we supposed to quit the hobby because we are not good (or lucky) enough? Nah, now we have the tools to have successful reef tanks--better for everyone and the hobby and keeps the industry in business! End rant. ;)

Don't worry about your aquascape, everyone wants their rocks covered in corals!! That's the end goal!

Hallucinations recovering nicely from the dino outbreak. Starting to sprout some new babies too!

20170215_092139_zpstwpllnu6.jpg

Upscales Microclados coloring up nicely.20170215_092330_zpscglxlw3l.jpg

Rose mille happy in it's new spot.20170215_092424_zps2qkyus1n.jpg

• Like 4

That's amazing :bowdown:.

Did you ever have bubble algae?

That's amazing :bowdown:.

Did you ever have bubble algae?

Yeah, a little. The vibrant is supposed to kill it (eventually). I still have some bubble algae, but it's pretty limited. I have pulled back my vibrant dosing because I'm happy where I am.

• Like 1