Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Have you tried chemiclean? When I had cyano that wouldn't go away in the 66, I used it and cyano was gone in two days.

I tried this, but it didn't make a dent.

s-l300.jpg

Every morning I'm taking them from the floor and putting back into the tank. Same snails! :D

Me too. It's slowed down over the last couple months though. Hahah...

I'm sorry but do you know about Vibrant ? So many people report crazy good results in days or weeks.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

I've seen some great reviews about it, yes. I will probably end up trying it, though I'm very skeptical, as it's another bacteria infusion product, just like the last two I've used that haven't worked. It all seems like snake-oil to me now, but I'll try anything.

Did the same yesterday. I will watch for your results. Good luck. ;)

Just talked with a local reefer yesterday who has a spectacularly clean tank. He ran zeovit for a long time, and now is using an impressive mix of additives to keep his tank clean. He had a 3/4 full bottle of Vibrant under his tank doing nothing. He said it'll get rid of hair algae, and whatever grows on your glass, but won't touch cyano. Boo....

• Like 1

Still no improvement. :(

My SPS look awesome! They're growing, and coloring up and generally look to be happy as can be. I've also noticed increased coralline algae growth. I'm attributing this to ramping up my ALK/CA dosing. The only exception is my sunset mille is struggling because an acro crab took up residence in it. I'm not sure if he's damaging the coral directly, or if he's just irritating it by being there. Either way, I'd like to get him out, but he's a tricky little bastard, and I haven't figured out how to get to him.

Everything else is looking crappy. I'm going to lose most of my zoos. The colonies are slowing closing up, and getting covered in brownish/reddish dust. I blow them off, but it's not helping. My anemones are shrunken and sad looking, and even some of my LPS is looking deflated.

I'm done with the Dr. Tim's. I did the equivalent of 2.5 full treatments (following the directions to the T), and it hasn't done anything. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing an increase in nuisance algae.... little bits of GHA are sprouting up all over everywhere, and the cyano is sticking to that... making a hairy, slimy mess.

You should be able to save your zoas by dipping them in peroxide. Use the regular 3% stuff from the drugstore and mix it 50/50 with tank water. Dip the zoas for about 60 seconds, and them put them back in the tank. Zoas are very tough regarding peroxide, even if you overdo it a little bit they'll shrivel up for a few days and then bounce back.

You'll probably have to repeat the treatment two or three times over the next couple weeks to get them completely clean, and you'll have to keep doing it periodically if the algae keeps infesting the tank. But at least you can do peroxide on zoas, sps will die from peroxide dips so that's not much you can do for them.

• Like 1

You should be able to save your zoas by dipping them in peroxide. Use the regular 3% stuff from the drugstore and mix it 50/50 with tank water. Dip the zoas for about 60 seconds, and them put them back in the tank. Zoas are very tough regarding peroxide, even if you overdo it a little bit they'll shrivel up for a few days and then bounce back.

You'll probably have to repeat the treatment two or three times over the next couple weeks to get them completely clean, and you'll have to keep doing it periodically if the algae keeps infesting the tank. But at least you can do peroxide on zoas, sps will die from peroxide dips so that's not much you can do for them.

I've dipped zoos in H202 before with good success. I dipped a few of my more accessible groups, and it seemed to piss them off more than usual. The problem is, most of my colonies are large and not able to be dipped. I'm going to try to frag a few polyps of each and baby them... just in case everything else goes.

Meanwhile, I just received my bottle of Vibrant. I'm going to try it out.

• Like 1

what about other corals? LPS to be exact? will H202 harm them? I am fighting hair algae and have some bubble in my 29 biocube. Dosing with Vibrant right now... but...

I know nothing about dosing H202, just dipping corals in it. There are some pretty extensive forums that discuss the procedures for dosing... and I seem to remember people saying that dosing carefully didn't hurt their corals, even LPS and SPS.

• Like 1

Same here

I know nothing about dosing H202, just dipping corals in it. There are some pretty extensive forums that discuss the procedures for dosing... and I seem to remember people saying that dosing carefully didn't hurt their corals, even LPS and SPS.

Same here, I've read about people having luck by carefully dosing it, but I worry about SPS. Many of the people reporting success don't seem to keep the more sensitive SPS.

On the other hand, when I dip or spot treat frags or even entire rocks, I just put them back in the tank without rinsing them first. I've never seen any problems due to the small amount of peroxide getting back into the tank.

Btw, when I can't take frags out of the tank, I've been able to spot treat them by draining enough water from the tank to expose the rocks where I need to treat. I just use a dropper to put a little bit of peroxide on the spots that need it, wait a minute and then put the water back in. Of course I usually do this as part of a water change, so I don't put all the old water back in, just enough to make up for the water change.

I received my bottle of Vibrant yesterday, and began my treatment this morning. I did a 10% water change last night, and vacuumed up as much sludge as I could in one bucket.

Given my lack of success with the last two products, I plan on hitting the system with the max recommended dose of 1mL per 10g, twice a week. I'll document the results.

• Like 1

Here are a couple new shots from last night.

Here's my purple stylo & sunset mille duet. You can see the damage that the rogue acro-crab is causing to the mille. I'm hoping he'll stay in the middle of the coral, and let the tips continue to grow out unmolested. If it gets worse, I'm going to have to figure out how to pull that bastard out.

20161229_183212%202_zpsca0boh0f.jpg

I finally got a decent shot of the clam I bought at R.A.P.

20161229_183156%202_zpsdzluj4y3.jpg

And here's a random piece growing in my tank. I have absolutely no idea what it is or where it came from. It's been a little brown nub since I discovered it. It's now starting to color up in a really interesting way. It's a little tough to see in this shot, but it's got pink tips, followed by a green stripe, then below that is yellow spotted with green. It's really pretty right now, and it'll be interesting to see what it turns into.

20161229_183109%202_zpsidsqquph.jpg

• Like 3

I moved my Oregon tort from it's spot (where it was being overgrown by Utter Chaos) to a more prominent spot in the tank. It's up higher, and more centered under the Radion. This is a top down shot where it's a bit lighter, but it's just a brilliant electric blue when viewed from the side. It's a super slow grower, but steady... especially when I look at photos of the frag when I bought it.

20161229_183257%202_zpsx0oud8wd.jpg

• Like 3