ReefCleaners.org

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon Kuiteri) just became available on Live Aquaria. I've been waiting to find one of these beautiful fish, so I ordered one. She should arrive tomorrow.

Think happy thoughts for me and my new girl!

p-37172-Kuiter-wrasse.jpg

She's gorgeous! I have a LA fish order arriving tomorrow as well :).

She's gorgeous! I have a LA fish order arriving tomorrow as well :).

What did you get?

Seriously? I had a notification for a small female on LA via email. Go to order it and it's gone! <_<

Don't look at me... I bought the Medium :)

• Like 2

That's a nice looking wrasse! I am still on the lookout for a female bluestar leopard wrasse.

Too bad you don't live in Southern CA... my LFS has bipartitus on tap!

Nice wrasse! :lol:

I hope I get a fat wrasse!

I decided I want to try and QT this new wrasse. I usually isolate them in my display, but my last leopard didn't make it, so I want to be very methodical with this one. I am going to use my mangrove tank as a QT. I took out all the sand, and all but the two big pieces of live rock to which the mangroves are anchored. I installed a cheap little HOB filter, and put floss from my sump in it.

My plan is to do no sand for the first 2 days so that I can observe and monitor her. I'll give her a couple PVC fittings to hide in, and unless she's going nuts, I'm going to withhold sand until she adjusts to my timezone. If she keeps trying to dive into the glass bottom, I'll have to give her a container with sand in it.

I'm going to dose Prazi, and try to feed live bloodworms or brine, or whatever other live food my LFS has. If I can get her eating live, I'll gradually mix in frozen, and slowly transition to all frozen.

Once she's adjusted to the the light cycle, and is eating, I'll fatten her up as much as possible before transitioning her to the display. I think that part will be pretty easy. Her sand will be in a tupperware, so when she goes to bed at night, I'll put a lid on the tupperware, and just place it in my display (and try to remember to take off the lid!). Then I'll place an acclimation box around her, and let her emerge into safety for a day or two before releasing her into the community.

I think it's a good plan... but even the best laid plans sometimes suck... so we'll just have to see how it goes!

• Like 3

In other news... my byropsis is gone... completely and totally eradicated. The Fluco treatment demolished it in 1 week. I see no adverse effects on anything else in my tank. I'm a believer!

• Like 4

Pink streaked wrasse and a green clown goby. Should be here soon! Before 10:30am anyways, if they do what they say they will :).

Nice! You love pink and green!

My little girl arrived at 10:00am, and seems to be in good shape. She's in QT now, with the lights out. I'll have lights come on tomorrow morning on the same schedule as my display tank. Maybe some photos then!

• Like 2

The new girl is here, and settling into her quarantine tank nicely. She looks like she's healthy. No visible damage, and is active. She doesn't appear emaciated either. All good stuff.

I dosed the QT with Prazipro just in case she's got any internal parasites. I tried feeding her live brine shrimp and live blood worms. She was very interested in the brine, though she just kept spitting them out. She didn't show any interest in the blood worms. I wasn't expecting much, but was encouraged to see her feeding response for the brine. I'll try again tomorrow.

Here she is... I think she's beautiful. Macropharyngodon Kuiteri.

20170203_152456_zps70thj6lc.jpg

• Like 9

The new girl is here, and settling into her quarantine tank nicely. She looks like she's healthy. No visible damage, and is active. She doesn't appear emaciated either. All good stuff.

I dosed the QT with Prazipro just in case she's got any internal parasites. I tried feeding her live brine shrimp and live blood worms. She was very interested in the brine, though she just kept spitting them out. She didn't show any interest in the blood worms. I wasn't expecting much, but was encouraged to see her feeding response for the brine. I'll try again tomorrow.

Here she is... I think she's beautiful. Macropharyngodon Kuiteri.

20170203_152456_zps70thj6lc.jpg

wow

Ohh nice! Just picked up a blue star female leopard wrasse today. Seems fat and happy and active instantly, didn't just bury itself in the sand.

Awesome!

Nice! You love pink and green!

My little girl arrived at 10:00am, and seems to be in good shape. She's in QT now, with the lights out. I'll have lights come on tomorrow morning on the same schedule as my display tank. Maybe some photos then!

Mine arrived at the same time LOL. How's that for service :). Right after I posted on your thread the UPS truck was here.

Your new wrasse looks very healthy! Mine arrived healthy too! Live-Aquaria really is the tops if you need to order a fish online cuz you can't find it locally.

• Like 1

How long do your leopard wrasses usually hide for once introduced? Of course I figured the fish would hide all day today. We'll see if food brings it out tonight

How long do your leopard wrasses usually hide for once introduced? Of course I figured the fish would hide all day today. We'll see if food brings it out tonight

It totally depends. This new one isn't allowed to hide because I didn't give her a sand bed. The ones I've put directly into my display have acted very differently. Some haven't hidden at all (except for at night when they sleep in the sand). And unfortunately, some have gone right into the sand, and never come out again.

ouch. is LA gonna send you a new one? she looked so good in your video.

Yeah, leopards are hard. I just sent them a message. I think they'll credit my account, but it may be a little while before they get another Kuiteri in... :(

Yeah, leopards are hard. I just sent them a message. I think they'll credit my account, but it may be a little while before they get another Kuiteri in... :(

bummer :(

Double bummer, mine has been good so far. There boat loads of pods on the glass she's constantly picking at, hard to tell how much of the LRS she actually eats vs spits out. Ordered nutramar ova from marinedepot to throw some more variety in.

• Like 1

bummer :(

Double bummer, mine has been good so far. There boat loads of pods on the glass she's constantly picking at, hard to tell how much of the LRS she actually eats vs spits out. Ordered nutramar ova from marinedepot to throw some more variety in.

Yeah, I love the leopard wrasses, but it's hard to lose them...

On a happier note, this is the first FTS I've taken in a long time. It's a cell phone pic, and not great, but you can see how things are going...

20170207_063020_zpshwnoofyf.jpg

• Like 5

You've got some giant colonies! Sorry about the wrasse. It looked so healthy too. I've read they are stressed easily. Maybe not a good candidate for quarantine? My two are still doing great and I didn't quarantine, like the naughty reefer that I am :lol:.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love the leopard wrasses, but it's hard to lose them...

On a happier note, this is the first FTS I've taken in a long time. It's a cell phone pic, and not great, but you can see how things are going...

20170207_063020_zpshwnoofyf.jpg

wow, very nice!