Pod Your Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

• 3 weeks later...

Still having trouble with Cyano in my tank. I haven't been able to get a handle on it with water changes, vacuuming, rearranging the scape to enhance water flow, reduced feeding, etc. So I just ordered some of this stuff. It has great reviews, so I'm hoping for the best. I've lost some acros, and I think my clam might be done for. :(

207118_ultralife_redslimeremover-b.jpg

The Red Slime Stain Remover had no noticeable effect after two doses (per product instructions).

At RAP today in Orange County, I met with Dr. Tim and purchased his Re-Fresh and Waste-Away bacteria treatment products. I started treatment today, and followed directions to the T. I will re-dose the Re-Fresh in 48 hours, and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Hey guys. I've been largely MIA lately because of... well... life. There's been a lot of stuff going on. I'm going to try to get back into the habit of updating this thread, but for some non-reef related news....

Here's the first update! Got married on October 1. It was awesome!

seekatz_0317_zpso0r8gi1f.jpg

Then we took a road trip honeymoon from Southern CA up through Napa Valley, Oregon, Washington, and into Vancouver, B.C.

14956030_10154331922504221_5076442350818

Oh... and then we adopted a kid!

14907695_10154336175814221_7110605176314

• Like 9

double congrats!!!

Thanks! :happydance:

U know what comes next..........

Another reef aquarium!?

Congratulations! Who doesn't love puppies! What kind?

Haha.... NOPE! I'm lucky enough to be able to have my 45 in the living room. I made the mistake of setting up my mangrove nursery in our second bedroom. I had to move it out to the garage before I went to bed that night!

He's a French Bulldog. We named him Wrigley.

• Like 2

Hey guys. I've been largely MIA lately because of... well... life. There's been a lot of stuff going on. I'm going to try to get back into the habit of updating this thread, but for some non-reef related news....

Here's the first update! Got married on October 1. It was awesome!

14976455_1712215925470943_13902604202922

Then we took a road trip honeymoon from Southern CA up through Napa Valley, Oregon, Washington, and into Vancouver, B.C.

14956030_10154331922504221_5076442350818

Oh... and then we adopted a kid!

14907695_10154336175814221_7110605176314

Awesome dog :wub: I have 2 Frenchies.

Congratulations!

Congrats!!!!!

GREAT name!!!! Cubs fan?

Thanks guys! Gena, not really a Cubs fan, but we got him during the WS, and it seems to fit! ;)

Awesome dog :wub: I have 2 Frenchies.

They're pretty awesome. I'm really happy so far. He's a sweet dog.

Best not to push your luck then. :lol:

The name fits.

Right?! Small victories...

• Like 2

I just wanted to check in and report on my experience with Dr. Tim's "Refresh" and "Waste Away" treatment. I've been struggling with a severe cyanobacteria outbreak in my tank for weeks. It began when I went on my honeymoon for 2 weeks. When I came home I found thick red slime covering most surfaces that were not covered by corals... rocks, sand, glass, etc.

I manually removed as much as possible, and it immediately grew back. I tried water changes, rearranging rocks to increase flow throughout the tank, reducing my feeding, reducing the whites in my light spectrum, refreshing my clean up crew, increasing calcium and alk supplements to try and out-compete it.... all to no avail. I purchased Ultra Life Red Stain remover and treated my tank per instructions. Absolutely zero effect. At Reef-A-Palooza a couple of weeks ago, I met Dr. Tim, and purchased his Re-Fresh & Waste-Away products, which he assured me would knock out any cyano problems I'm having.

I've now completed a 14 day treatment, following the steps indicated in the instructions (below). Unfortunately, this treatment has had no noticeable affect. Manual removal made my tank look 100% better, but the cyano continues to grow back at the same rate as it did before I began treatment. Recognizing that my case was pretty bad, I'm now 4 days into a second round of treatment (per instructions), but have yet to see any difference. The cyano seems unaffected, as does the small amounts of bubble and green hair algae I have in my tank.

I will continue the treatment until the end of this cycle and report again. I really enjoyed my conversation with Dr. Tim, but so far have been very disappointed with the effectiveness of this program.

20161202_081114_zpsgelahtly.jpg

RIP Sebastian

I'm having cyano issues (again), too. I used Chemi-Clean, it doesn't really work for me. You just have to siphon/stir up all the affected sand.

Good luck and congrats,

Nick

You may want to try Vibrant. It's a new product and a lot of people have reported good results. In my tanks it's worked overnight on diatoms and seems to be helping with gha.

I'm having cyano issues (again), too. I used Chemi-Clean, it doesn't really work for me. You just have to siphon/stir up all the affected sand.

Good luck and congrats,

Nick

Yeah, that worked for me when I had a diatom bloom (in addition to a UV sterilizer). I'm trying to follow Dr. Tim's product label precisely, so that I don't introduce any unnecessary elements into the equation. Stirring up the sand could cause all sorts of variables to enter into the equation. If I finish my treatment and it's still no good, I'll just have to get physical with it!

You may want to try Vibrant. It's a new product and a lot of people have reported good results. In my tanks it's worked overnight on diatoms and seems to be helping with gha.

I asked for that from my Secret Santa! Hopefully I get a bit. Either way, I need to finish my treatment with this bacteria product before I switch to another. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you though. Gives me a little hope.

My tank is going through a serious "Ugly Tank Syndrome." I cannot get a handle on the cyano outbreak. Nothing is holding it down. I'm considering going lights out for a few days, but I'm worried about hurting my corals.

I still want to try Vibrant, but my expectations are pretty low.

If nothing knocks this out, it might be time to cut out the stuff I like and scrap the rest. I don't know what else to do.

The good news is that most of my corals seem to be pretty happy right now. The zoanthids are struggling, along with my BTAs, but everything else is in good shape. So here are a couple, very zoomed in photos to keep this thread updated!

20161212_105041_zpsjaagfmrb.jpg

• Like 1

Went to the LFS today for some water, came home with three new fish. Since I lost two of my three leopard wrasses, I've been wanting to find something new to bring some life to the tank. So when I saw a tank full of tiny juvenile Lyretail Anthias, I couldn't resist, so I grabbed a pair. They're gorgeous and are open water swimmers, so I think they'll fit in well. They're pretty cute too, about an inch long each! I also picked up a Diamond Goby to help clean up my sand bed a bit (as you can probably tell by the cloudy water in the photos below).

20160905_171531_zpsrvryiofs.jpg

20160905_182349_zps0ev3dvuq.jpg

20160905_182258_zpsx6f21tuk.jpg

I had a lot of catching up to do but I love these posts!

• Like 1

never ever restart due to cyano. you will most likely just get it again =(.

did the Dr. Tim stuff work out for you?

Not even a little. The only thing... the ONLY thing that has helped is manual removal. I'm going to get Vibrant, and try it after a few days of lights out. If that doesn't work, I'm going nuclear with H202 dosing.

• Like 2