ReefCleaners.org

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

I moved my Oregon tort from it's spot (where it was being overgrown by Utter Chaos) to a more prominent spot in the tank. It's up higher, and more centered under the Radion. This is a top down shot where it's a bit lighter, but it's just a brilliant electric blue when viewed from the side. It's a super slow grower, but steady... especially when I look at photos of the frag when I bought it.

20161229_183257%202_zpsx0oud8wd.jpg

It looks great! I really miss my OT that died in the 4g tank crash. I just ordered a new one from Ultimate Corals to put in the 40g tank - I hope it keeps it's color like yours.

Btw, that new clam is gorgeous :wub:

wow, i wish my purple stylo is as deeply colored as yours!

I would say move it up closer to the light, but I glued an accidental frag of that guy in a shady spot in the tank, and it's the exact same color.

It looks great! I really miss my OT that died in the 4g tank crash. I just ordered a new one from Ultimate Corals to put in the 40g tank - I hope it keeps it's color like yours.

Btw, that new clam is gorgeous :wub:

Thanks!

I think OT is more expensive and not terribly common because it grow so slowly. In terms of hardiness, I've found it to be extremely resilient to adversity! Good luck with the UC frag. Oregon Tort is one of my favorites.

Ah... here's the photo from the day I got the Oregon Tort. It was October of last year.

5b6b0a29-ae90-4488-adf3-22a9d22d84e2_zps

• Like 3

I went and visited a local reefer who was trimming up his (impressive) sps collection. He's got a 250g (ish) tank set up with gorgeous SPS everywhere. I was a little skeptical because of the deal he was offering for the pack, but I'm thrilled with what I got, and can't wait to see them grow up in my little tank.

1. Tyree Ponape Rainbow

2. Reef Raft Taiwanese Mille

3. Upscales Microclados

4. Tyree Pink Lemonade

5. Coral Revolution Rainbow Millie

6. Tyree Bali Tri-Color

7. ATL Joleen's Aussie Red Table

03e01e98-3b52-4ba8-9ca0-966e1ff49299_zps

• Like 7

Nice, how is your battle with algae?

I think it might be getting better, but it's hard to tell. I'm one week (2 doses) into my Vibrant treatment. Still have quite a bit of the red/brown slime, but I don't think it's coming back as quickly anymore. Maybe just wishful thinking, but since my SPS are happy, I'm going to run with it!

Here are a couple shots of the colonies those frags came off of... such an inspiration to see a tank like that:

Pink Lemonade:

094E8874-C430-46F2-AA24-E75BD995FCFD.jpg

CR Rainbow Mille

0894485A-1D8C-4A4A-BCF7-D2537BCA6102.jpg

ATL Joleen

3D4407C9-C257-4810-B7DC-69C7B036BF3B.jpg

RR Taiwanese Mille

8535CCCF-6474-421B-93E1-E25EAFBBB738.jpg

• Like 6

Cool, I will dose 5th dose (2 per week) tomorrow. I was talking to UWC, he said normally you should see improvements after second week doses. I will cut the water changes as well during the dosing.

Cool, I will dose 5th dose (2 per week) tomorrow. I was talking to UWC, he said normally you should see improvements after second week doses. I will cut the water changes as well during the dosing.

Nice. How's the treatment going for you? Any changes?

• Like 2

So I guess my Bipartitus is a boy now.... that happened FAST! Like a week or two at the most.

February:

2016-02-012019.35.31_zpsnkcin1oi.jpg

Today:

20161231_142622_zpsyxztp5zv.jpg

Holy moly! I like the boy version!!! :D
  • Like 3

Happy New Year everyone!

20170101_170330_zpsqrqoesql.jpg

Cute little one there!

They are great dogs and the noises they make :lol:

I went and visited a local reefer who was trimming up his (impressive) sps collection. He's got a 250g (ish) tank set up with gorgeous SPS everywhere. I was a little skeptical because of the deal he was offering for the pack, but I'm thrilled with what I got, and can't wait to see them grow up in my little tank.

1. Tyree Ponape Rainbow

2. Reef Raft Taiwanese Mille

3. Upscales Microclados

4. Tyree Pink Lemonade

5. Coral Revolution Rainbow Millie

6. Tyree Bali Tri-Color

7. ATL Joleen's Aussie Red Table

03e01e98-3b52-4ba8-9ca0-966e1ff49299_zps

Nice score ;)

• Like 1

Holy moly! I like the boy version!!! :D

He's very handsome. Such a grown up now!

Cute little one there!

They are great dogs and the noises they make :lol:

He's awesome... total mama's boy though. :|

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I see positive changes. I would say 40% improvement. I hope it will be much better in the next two weeks.

After all this time, I'm beginning to think that the problem is not the treatments I'm using, but the cause. I don't think my cyano is cyano. I think it's dinos, or possibly some combination of both.

It looks like cyano. It's reddish, and I never saw it get bubbly, snotty or stringy, so I figured cyano.

But none of the "sure fire" remedies have affected it.

At one point I realized that my clean up crew was largely depleted. Besides a few huge turbos and a handful of little hermit crabs, I didn't see a whole lot of CUC. I blamed my snapping shrimp, who will definitely snipe the unwary snail or hermit. Maybe my problems were due to a CUC that couldn't keep up with uneaten food, etc. So I went out and bought a bunch of new snails (all types). They've pretty much all died off over the past couple weeks. I think that confirms it for me... it's Dinoflagellates.

So I dusted off my UV Sterlizer and plugged that bad-boy in. I should probably get a new bulb, just to make sure. I'm going to continue with the Vibrant (because why not?) and if I need to, I'll go lights out for a couple days. I want to avoid that if I can, but I'll use it if necessary.

Oh, and look who just joined the RO/DI revolution!

I feel like after buying the gear, and all the supplies, it's going to take me 10 years to make up the cost, but it's pretty cool to not have to lug jugs out to the LFS every time I need water.

20170117_071708_zpsycjbitmx.jpg

• Like 4

But no more "I went to the LFS for water and..." posts :(

I wanted to post that for a little girl leopard wrasse I bought, but she went under the sand, and I haven't seen her since. :(

• Like 1

Some kind of rose mille... and the colony it came from:

20170122_123935_zps5vaxnb2n.jpg

148e5d6760f41cf4e0c64d82cf12d8f9.jpg

And the obligatory Strawberry Shortcake. I haven't had this coral in my tank for a long time, and I'm happy to have it back!

20170122_123923_zpst3uv1ht0.jpg

Here's the colony it came from:

7ca0d05dcaf0a34f763868cafa5b2159.jpg

• Like 4

Nice pickups! The RODI setup is super sweet, too. Although it's a mixed blessing not have to go to the LFS for water, you do have the peace of mind now of knowing exactly what's in your water.

Went to the LFS for some water additives... and came home with this little dude! He's not particularly handsome, but he's kind of a goober, and fun to watch.

20170123_124811_zpsspkgombr.jpg

20170123_124949_zpswnoobmzv.jpg

Frenchies <3 Reefs

20170123_125209_zps5rihga9w.jpg

• Like 6