Cultivated Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Wow, Chris!!! It looks really good. I'm so happy to see this.

Thanks Darlin!

that is a lot of utter chaos!

That's how I roll! The zoos sure love dirty water!

WOW! This is looking awesome!

Thanks Morgan! I've missed chatting with you!

Wow awesome job chris! looks as if nothing bad ever happened. Keep it going man..

Thanks Eugene. I miss my SPS collection, but it'll be rebuilt... slowly.

Glad you're back at it! Looks great.

Thanks. It's nice to have something that's not depressing to look at. :)

• Like 3

Ended up getting a nem, huh? Looks pretty awesome! Is that a lemon drop?

The rest of the tank is looking great too, Chris!

I don't know what its called. It's greenish yellow with orange tips. The shot above doesn't really show the tips that well...

• Like 1

Thanks Darlin!

How dirty ;)

I gave my Melanurus Wrasse to a local guy. The tank is much more mellow now, and I'm excited to be able to bring in another fish or two to take his place. I'm into leopard wrasses, and would like to find one or two more to go with my blue star. I'd love to find another black leopard wrasse, or a Potter's leopard, or maybe even a jewel leopard.

black-leopard-wrasse-macropharyngodon-ne

325062141_GsFDM-M.jpg

DSC_4065.jpg

• Like 5

Man these fish are awesome. Ive never heard of or seen most of the ones you're posting about!

They're all part of the Macropharyngodon genus, leopard wrasses. They're tough to find sometimes, and almost always tough to keep alive. They are notorious for not eating in captivity. If you've got a lot of pods for grazing, a good deep sand-bed for sleeping, and peaceful tankmates, you've got a shot!

• Like 2

They're all part of the Macropharyngodon genus, leopard wrasses. They're tough to find sometimes, and almost always tough to keep alive. They are notorious for not eating in captivity. If you've got a lot of pods for grazing, a good deep sand-bed for sleeping, and peaceful tankmates, you've got a shot!

Ive got a crazy amount of pods, especially at night. Yes on the sand bed, and yes on peaceful tank mates.

My Yellow Coris wrasse is of the same species, so maybe eventually I could return the yellow wrasse for a leopard

Ive got a crazy amount of pods, especially at night. Yes on the sand bed, and yes on peaceful tank mates.

My Yellow Coris wrasse is of the same species, so maybe eventually I could return the yellow wrasse for a leopard

Your Yellow Coris Wrasse is a little different. Definitely not the same species (which indicates the specific fish type), or the same genus. The coris wrasse is in the genus Halichoeres, where the leopards are in the genus Macropharyngodon. There are like 80 species in the Halichoeres genus, including the Melanurus wrasse and the Christmas wrasse.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's right... you see a some SPS in there... :)

....and another nem! Starting to really bounce back there man! Really liking the ideas you are having for the wrasse. I have always love the genus Halichoeres. Such beautiful fish. I really want one, but I have a hard time justifying adding anything to my 34 that I know will actively seek pods as my mandarin needs all he can get. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

....and another nem! Starting to really bounce back there man! Really liking the ideas you are having for the wrasse. I have always love the genus Halichoeres. Such beautiful fish. I really want one, but I have a hard time justifying adding anything to my 34 that I know will actively seek pods as my mandarin needs all he can get. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Yeah, I was really hesitant to add the BTAs, but my clowns seem so distraught without them, I just had to do it. I'll deal with the annoyances later.

That's a good point about the pods. The melanurus that I pulled out was a stellar hunter, so I'm hoping that in his absence, the pod population will rebound (along with snails, micro-brittles, etc.). There's a hobbyist here local who's always giving away chaeto, so I'll try to grab some of that to jump start some pod growth in my fuge.

I've been doing some research on the leopard wrasses (macropharyngodon), and it sounds like members of different species are known to hang out with each other in the reef tank. They don't school or anything, but they'll hunt together and stuff.... pretty neat.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was really hesitant to add the BTAs, but my clowns seem so distraught without them, I just had to do it. I'll deal with the annoyances later.

That's a good point about the pods. The melanurus that I pulled out was a stellar hunter, so I'm hoping that in his absence, the pod population will rebound (along with snails, micro-brittles, etc.). There's a hobbyist here local who's always giving away chaeto, so I'll try to grab some of that to jump start some pod growth in my fuge.

I've been doing some research on the leopard wrasses (macropharyngodon), and it sounds like members of different species are known to hang out with each other in the reef tank. They don't school or anything, but they'll hunt together and stuff.... pretty neat.

Yea, I am somewhat in the same boat as you right now. Not sure if you have been following my thread at all or not, but I am pretty much rebooting the tank due to some algae issues. I nuked a lot of it with peroxide dips and a heavy dose straight to the tank before a very large WC. It seemed to help quite a bit with the algae, but also seems to have killed off a lot of the pod population, so I need to rebuild that as well. I just cant wait until things are stable enough to get my SPS back from my buddy and really get the tank looking nice again.

As for the nem, I have never had one, but with my recent reboot/rescape I am trying to figure out somewhere to put it. Also, I really think my clowns would be happier with one in the tank. They have tried to be hosted by a number of things in my tank, so I have a good feeling they would take to a nem pretty quickly. I pulled alot of frags off the rocks so I pretty much have a blank canvas to work with. I am just trying to balance out letting the system recover and be stable enough for a nem, but want to get it in there while the rockwork is still pretty much open for the nem to find its happy spot without hurting anything else.

• Like 1

As for the nem, I have never had one, but with my recent reboot/rescape I am trying to figure out somewhere to put it. Also, I really think my clowns would be happier with one in the tank. They have tried to be hosted by a number of things in my tank, so I have a good feeling they would take to a nem pretty quickly. I pulled alot of frags off the rocks so I pretty much have a blank canvas to work with. I am just trying to balance out letting the system recover and be stable enough for a nem, but want to get it in there while the rockwork is still pretty much open for the nem to find its happy spot without hurting anything else.

I feel like if you're going to put a BTA in your tank, it needs to have it's own rock all to itself, because they move around so much... even if they're totally happy. If you want to put one in, I suggest giving it it's very own island (rock) where it can do whatever it wants. They won't crawl across sand, so you can totally control what it comes in contact with.

• Like 1

I feel like if you're going to put a BTA in your tank, it needs to have it's own rock all to itself, because they move around so much... even if they're totally happy. If you want to put one in, I suggest giving it it's very own island (rock) where it can do whatever it wants. They won't crawl across sand, so you can totally control what it comes in contact with.

This is what I have been thinking about lately too. I just don't know where to do it at with the current scape(that I am actually happy with how it turned out). The obvious place would be the bottom left corner, which actually gets a good amount of light, but I put my wellso down there and it has been happier than ever. I will probably just end up moving the wellso, but I really dont want to....

21420279331_83d9a78404_b.jpg20150912_114609 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Any other ideas? I hope you don't mind me posting this pic.

• Like 1

Tank is looking great... a leopard wrasse would look nice in there

Thanks! There's already 1 in there, but I'd like to add a few more!

270988e9-c386-4f6f-bf5f-d4a1a704da98_zps

This is what I have been thinking about lately too. I just don't know where to do it at with the current scape(that I am actually happy with how it turned out). The obvious place would be the bottom left corner, which actually gets a good amount of light, but I put my wellso down there and it has been happier than ever. I will probably just end up moving the wellso, but I really dont want to....

I don't mind at all! That's a tough one.... if all BTAs act like the ones I've had, you'll stick it somewhere and it'll slowly climb it's way to the very top center of your scape, right under the lights. Once it's there, it'll shrink and expand, and move around a few inches a day, regardless of what might be there already.

• Like 1

I think it would look awesome in the bottom right corner on a flatter rock. What about putting the wellso in the bottom right corner?

Thanks Darlin!

:) I miss your "I went to the LFS for some water" posts.

• Like 2