Top Shelf Aquatics

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Get #2 and #4 lol- yellow and crazy looking red one

The last one is called a Supernova. I'd need to sell my car to buy that bad boy.

I like the inferno bta, and it's not quite as outrageously priced:

IMG_4820-1.JPG

• Like 3

The last one is called a Supernova. I'd need to sell my car to buy that bad boy.

I like the inferno bta, and it's not quite as outrageously priced:

IMG_4820-1.JPG

Jeeze....exactly how much is the supernova?

Thats ridiculous.....and now that Im on their website, the price for that inferno is ridiculous too!

Yeah, I can't imagine spending that on a nem.

The Infernos are still pricey, though they're really more in the low-mid threes if you push it. Plus they're always in demand.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't imagine spending that on a nem.

The Infernos are still pricey, though they're really more in the low-mid threes if you push it. Plus they're always in demand.

OK low-mid 300's is a little bit more reasonable than 499, esp if you know you can re-coop some of that cost down the line. That purple rain and acid rain are both pretty cool too! and dat lemon drop......... :haha:

• Like 1

OK low-mid 300's is a little bit more reasonable than 499, esp if you know you can re-coop some of that cost down the line. That purple rain and acid rain are both pretty cool too! and dat lemon drop......... :haha:

I like the glowstick one! That thing is awesome. They're actually all awesome.

That one is interesting too....for some reason it's colors remind me of something...maybe from my childhood, I just can't place a finger on what...

• Like 1

That one is interesting too....for some reason it's colors remind me of something...maybe from my childhood, I just can't place a finger on what...

it reminds me a little of those little dot candies that they would sell on paper. Do you know what I'm talking about or am I totally dating myself.

• Like 1

it reminds me a little of those little dot candies that they would sell on paper. Do you know what I'm talking about or am I totally dating myself.

LOL no not dating yourself, I remember those......although, thats not what Im thinking about.

• Like 1

LOL no not dating yourself, I remember those......although, thats not what Im thinking about.

They always looked pretty but tasted like crap :lol:

Yeah... the yellow BTAs are pretty hard to come by. I see them in there every once in a while, but the sell very quickly. I know the owner has a nem tank at home where he propagates them. They're definitely heavy into the infernos, he's always got a few of those on hand. He was telling me about a time when he went out of town (how many reef horror stories start like that?) and a pump failed. He said he lost about $20k worth of nems overnight. :bling:

Mimic Anemone. Dangerous beauty.

MimicAnemone.jpeg

Lovely! I don't think I want anything in my tank that can cause renal failure if I accidentally touch it!

• Like 3

Lovely! I don't think I want anything in my tank that can cause renal failure if I accidentally touch it!

Who needs renals anyways? But seriously, that night anemone is cool.

• Like 1

Isn't Phil Your Aquarium in your neck of the woods? That purple rain BTA reminds me of something they would sell.

The tank at home looks really nice!

Got the replacement parts for my MP10. It's now hung about 2 inches off the cabinet floor, six inches away from the tank. Nothing but an act of God will allow it to end up in the sump again.

Having the MP10 blowing is a huge boon to my tank. I've basically been going through a new tank cycle, but with fish and some corals, so the diatomatic sludge has been a real pain. The increased flow will help prevent that crap from settling on the rocks and sand, and snuffing out my zoos. I also hooked up a UV Sterilizer to control the free-floating diatoms that the MP10 will kick into the water column.

So here's a list of the survivors of the tankocolypse. Everything else ended up in the trash or the toilet...

Fish

2 x Black Clowns

1 x Melanurus Wrasse (I couldn't catch a break there!)

1 x Azure Damsel

1 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

LPS & Soft

Stubborn Ass Maxima Clam

About 3 baby heads off my branching hammer colony (about 1/2" each)

Orange Plate Coral

Most Acans - Though they look like hot garbage. Most are skeletal and super bleached, but I think they'll recover eventually. I've seen them bounce back from the dead before.

Green & Orange Ricordias

Red Rhodactis 'shroom

Z's & P's

Fire & Ice - Most; Though their coloration has changed dramatically

Goblin's Fire - Most

Blue Hornets - Most

Random Green Dragon's Eyes - All (of course)

Valentine's Day Massacre - There were only a handful to begin with, but one mini colony (about 6 or so) survived.

Tyree Space Monsters - Most

PZ Solar Circus - I had one big polyp before, now I have two... go figure

Pink Kraks - Looking better than before (probably the increased nutrients in the water?)

Hallucinations - 1 mature & 1 juvi

Flaming Mohican - The one polyp has popped a new baby since the crash

Rainbow Incinerator - 2 adults look better than before

Fruit Loops - Two little groups (<10) survived and appear to be doing well

Blondies - Two small groups (<15) survived. Their coloration has changed quite a bit as well. Oranges have been accentuated, blues muted.

Gold Mauls - Most

• Like 1

Since it's been a while since I've posted any photos, and I'm still too embarrassed to show my tank, here's a shot from the Orange County Fair this past weekend with my niece Hannah:

11822609_10153271478164221_7717066485787

• Like 9

I'm so happy to hear about all that DID survive. I know it was still a crushing blow, but I'm happy some made it through. And love the photo of you at the fair with your niece! Very sweet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 10 day backpacking trip in Wyoming to find a very dirty, very algae-filled, but otherwise living reef tank.

I spent about 2 hours cleaning the tank yesterday. I'm somewhere in between the red/brown stage and green stage of my re-cycle, so the tank was ugly, especially the "fuge" that's seemed to have turned into a breeding ground for GHA. After a lot of manual removal of diatomatic algae in the display, and green algae in the fuge, things are looking pretty good. The inhabitants look pretty healthy, aside from the Acans which are still in various stages of recovery (or non-recovery). I've even noticed a little bit of coralline growing in the display.

The goood/encouraging news is that I put a couple Millepora frags into the tank before I left, kind of like canaries in the mine-shaft, and they both survived the last 2 weeks.

I rescaped the tank yesterday, and put them the SPS in slightly more appropriate positions (with better light & flow), and will continue to monitor their condition. The new scape is a little more open than the last version, which will hopefully allow for better overall water movement, and less shading. I tried to move the established zoanthid colonies around so that they have more room to grow, and don't necessarily take up all the best real estate. I also tried to incorporate the rift concept that I like so much. The main background structure is high on the left and low on the right (like before), but lines up to a smaller foreground structure on the left, opposite a nice rift that runs all the way through, highlighted by (what will eventually be) nice clean, white sand. It needs some more work before I glue everything together, but the effect is pretty cool, and looks like a single large piece cracked in two, leaving a valley with tall straight walls facing each other. Right now they're too close together, but I plan on separating them a bit, which will allow for a neat area for corals to grow.

Here's a shot showing the current configuration. It's a work in progress, but I like the idea so far:

06d3af77-d2bd-43d3-8552-fbf9bd435795_zps

Going through this re-cycle is annoying, but I assume it'll run it's course, just like the initial cycle.

• Like 8