inTank Media Baskets

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

I think it would look awesome in the bottom right corner on a flatter rock. What about putting the wellso in the bottom right corner?

:) I miss your "I went to the LFS for some water" posts.

I think you're right. If he puts it on it's own little rock, he can tuck it fairly close to the main structure. Just be careful, as it'll want to jump to the taller rocks. It won't cross sand, so if there's a little gap, it might work.

I can't genuinely make those posts anymore! I'm going to the LFS for stuff lately!

• Like 2

I can't genuinely make those posts anymore! I'm going to the LFS for stuff lately!

I'll just have to patiently wait :)

Honestly, it makes me so happy to see your tank rebounding like this, Chris.

• Like 1

I think it would look awesome in the bottom right corner on a flatter rock. What about putting the wellso in the bottom right corner?

:) I miss your "I went to the LFS for some water" posts.

I think you're right. If he puts it on it's own little rock, he can tuck it fairly close to the main structure. Just be careful, as it'll want to jump to the taller rocks. It won't cross sand, so if there's a little gap, it might work.

Thats pretty much what I have been thinking I will end up doing. The Wellso would look good in the bottom right corner, Im just fighting myself whether to move it or not because it has been happier in its current spot that it ever has.....but if I do move it, all I have to do is add a small rock to the bottom left corner and the nem should be good there. This is probably what I will end up doing, just wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas.

Went to the LFS for water today, and DID NOT come home with this little guy. I was THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger, but I managed to hold off. I know they're pretty much 50/50 in regards to whether or not they'll nip SPS, LPS, clams, polyps, etc. I've read a lot of accounts of them being very well behaved, but I just didn't want to risk it. Impulse buy avoided.... but such a beautiful fish...

Potter's Angel (about 1.5")

026767ff-e59e-47ac-bdfe-2bc38d8c1a62_zps

• Like 4

Went to the LFS for water today, and DID NOT come home with this little guy. I was THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger, but I managed to hold off. I know they're pretty much 50/50 in regards to whether or not they'll nip SPS, LPS, clams, polyps, etc. I've read a lot of accounts of them being very well behaved, but I just didn't want to risk it. Impulse buy avoided.... but such a beautiful fish...

Potter's Angel (about 1.5")

026767ff-e59e-47ac-bdfe-2bc38d8c1a62_zps

Beautiful fish!!! You seriously only got water???

Been battling high water temps lately. It's been super hot here in SoCal, and even with the AC blowing, I'm having a hard time getting my water temperature under 83-84 degrees. I haven't seen any negative affects of the high temps, but a few more degrees could be problematic, so I decided to DIY up something to help out.

I bought a Temp Controller from "Reef Safe Solutions" here on this forum, which is a simple controller that switches on a "cool" outlet when the probe reads over a certain level, and the "warm" outlet when it gets too cold. The warm outlet is simple, just drop a heater in there and you're good to go. The cool outlet is a little more complicated though, with the options either being a chiller (too expensive and bulky) or a fan of some kind. I could have gone easy with a clip on desk fan, but I don't have a ton of room to work with, and I don't like the way they clutter up the space.

So I went to Best Buy and picked up two PC fans for $17 a piece:

k2-_d70e5278-9911-4285-bf3d-dd75e20230ed

Good cheap start. The blue LED is stupid and useless, but fun, so yay! Only problem here is that they're meant to be hardwired and powered by a PC, so no way to just plug into the outlet on the controller. No worries. You can use pretty much any electronic power source, and just splice them together. I chose a USB cell phone charger that I had lying around for an old phone I don't use any more.

20150915_192709_zps3dc8b310.jpg

Then I needed some way to mount the fans in a way that would be low profile, sturdy, and wouldn't rust. I tried playing with plexi-glass, and after shattering the first piece, I decided to go simple, and use PVC. About $2.50 worth of parts, and I was able to put together a light, tight fitting mount. An added bonus with the PVC is that it's a built in wire conduit. A couple small holes and the power cords are hidden from sight.

20150915_194213_zps954f46d3.jpg

Pop everything together with a little PVC cement I had in the garage, and the fans are locked in tight. Then I snipped the connectors off the ends of the fan cable, and the USB cord. Separate and strip the 3 wires on each (or however many you've got), and twist the reds to reds, and blacks to blacks. Two reds for the fan go to the red from the power cord, and two blacks from the fans to the one black from the power cord. It was a little tight for wire nuts, so I just used electrical tape to bundle everything up. Since there is going to be water and salt, I was very thorough with the electrical tape.

20150915_200109_zps93528d3d.jpg

Then, plug it in, and with any luck at all, everything works!

20150915_200122_zpsd7f11d06.jpg

This will sit across the top of the return section of my fuge. I will notch the PVC where it rests on the glass so that it does not slide around at all. The controller cost $40 delivered, and the fan setup cost about $40. Not too shabby. We'll see how it does to cool down the water temp...

• Like 4

Operation: Wrasse-Hole is under way. Please join me in welcoming the newest member of the family.

Ornate Leopard Wrasse - Macropharyngodon ornatus

She's really beautiful, and didn't even burrow when I released her. She's cruising around with the Blue Star, and already ate a bit of frozen mysis.

47cc60e7-aaab-49eb-a7cf-f38c20b49c23_zps

I also picked up another Blue Star, intended for a local hobbyist, but she burrowed, so we'll see what happens with her.

• Like 5

Hey Chris how is it going? I have been off line for a while but looks like your doing well with the re-birth.

Did you end up getting a new skimmer? I just pulled the trigger on the Nyos Quantum 120 waiting of it to come in. I had wanted the Vertex Omega but was too big for my sump.

Hey Chris how is it going? I have been off line for a while but looks like your doing well with the re-birth.

Did you end up getting a new skimmer? I just pulled the trigger on the Nyos Quantum 120 waiting of it to come in. I had wanted the Vertex Omega but was too big for my sump.

Hey! I didn't get a new skimmer, but the longer I wait, the more I want a new one. The CAD Lights one skims well if it's dialed in just right, but it's really temperamental. It'll be skimming great, and then just overflow for no particular reason, or stop skimming at all. Plus there's a little downspout coming off the collection cup, where you can attach a drainage tube, but it's tight against the skimmer body, so if you try to pull the cup off at any kind of an angle, the downspout breaks off. I've had to glue it back on twice already.

Let me know how you like your new skimmer. I might have to start trolling the forums to see if I can find a good deal somewhere.

Hey chris love the DIY cooling system! Hows it working for you so far?

Works surprisingly well, especially with that controller from Reef Safe solutions. It's helped me lower the temp of the tank 3-4 degrees, no problem. I'm going through a little more ATO water due to increased evaporation, but it's doing everything it's supposed to do.

• Like 1

I have the same problem, I could go two weeks skimming great the poof overflowing.

I just bought the Nyos Quantum and will let you know how I like it. It fits in my sump compared to the Vertex Omega.

SWC is supposed rot be good but for 30 dollars more I when with the Nyos.

The bubble mangos curve 5 is supposed to be good too.

The Ornatus is still doing well a week later. She's not eating as much of the frozen food as I'd like, and she still hides in the sand during the day, but she looks healthy when she's out and about. She likes to pick stuff off the rocks, and is getting along well with everyone.

2015-09-29%2011.05.17_zpsv0tp0t9z.jpg

My effort to collect and successfully keep several different leopard wrasses is moving forward as of yesterday. I acquired a Potter's Leopard from a LFS. She's a little bigger than the others, and really beautiful. She had a tough acclimation. She didn't try to burrow in the sand, and she got very pale from the stress. But today she took some food, and her color is back. She's still acting very shy, and hiding out in the rockwork, but she looks healthy.

2015-09-29%2010.52.33_zpslbthj1a4.jpg

2015-09-29%2010.55.14_zpscevhhcn3.jpg

• Like 3