inTank Media Baskets

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Well is sounds like things are at least starting to clear up and you have some coral left. I bet most of your softies/lps pull through.

I think that perhaps going forward, maybe ONE or TWO rocks that can be lifted to allow me to blow out all the crap. Definitely not going to be stacking rock in there anymore.

This is the best thing I have heard you say so far. I'm very glad to hear you say that you are looking to the future and moving forward. I would have had a hard time not just throwing in the towel. Hats off to you bud.

Aftermath :unsure:

20150717_095610_zps92943be9.jpg

Oh the mayhem! Those zoas all look like they will open back up within the next couple days. Not so sure about all those sticks tho. What are your plans for the weekend. Will you be stopping by the office to check in on things?

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Man.... That stinks. So sorry :(

Im wondering if you can ramp up the powerheads, stir the sand bed, and do a 35g water change. That sounds like performing a "Hard Reset" of the tank- does that make sense? Get all parameters back, get rid of organics, etc.

:(:tears::tears:

Really sorry man I know exactly how you feel but hang in there.

Pride comes before the fall.

Well is sounds like things are at least starting to clear up and you have some coral left. I bet most of your softies/lps pull through.

This is the best thing I have heard you say so far. I'm very glad to hear you say that you are looking to the future and moving forward. I would have had a hard time not just throwing in the towel. Hats off to you bud.

Oh the mayhem! Those zoas all look like they will open back up within the next couple days. Not so sure about all those sticks tho. What are your plans for the weekend. Will you be stopping by the office to check in on things?

I'll be able to check in on the tank over the course of the weekend. I'll keep changing the carbon, emptying the skimmer, and doing water changes. I'm hopeful that the damage will be limited to mostly SPS. My clams are looking pretty beat up though, and I doubt they'll make it.

Man.... That stinks. So sorry :(

Im wondering if you can ramp up the powerheads, stir the sand bed, and do a 35g water change. That sounds like performing a "Hard Reset" of the tank- does that make sense? Get all parameters back, get rid of organics, etc.

I think that might be a little much at this point. I need to survive the die-off before I go adding too many extra pollutants into the water. I like where your head's at, but it'll need to happen in stages, otherwise I think I'll just nuke everything.

Ouch... :(

For reals...

If I decide to set up a temporary tank for fish/corals/clams/etc, what's the best way to do it?

Can I just start with fresh mixed salt water, add heat, light and circulation and be good? If I drop in a couple pieces of live rock with some other live stock will I be okay?

The reason I ask is because I think I'm going to need to do some more serious overhaul on this tank to get it right, and I don't know if I can do it while it's full of stuff I don't want to kill.

Any thoughts?

I think I can attach some tubing to the pump that's feeding my reactor and suck stuff out that way, but thanks for the suggestion.

Brilliant Idea of the Day: Filter sock under the main drain! It's so simple...

Be careful in leaving plenty of space for the sock to overflow back into the sump.

If I decide to set up a temporary tank for fish/corals/clams/etc, what's the best way to do it?

Can I just start with fresh mixed salt water, add heat, light and circulation and be good? If I drop in a couple pieces of live rock with some other live stock will I be okay?

The reason I ask is because I think I'm going to need to do some more serious overhaul on this tank to get it right, and I don't know if I can do it while it's full of stuff I don't want to kill.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a sponge of some sort you can put in the buckets with everything to get a biological filter going? Or is that what the rock is for...

How are you holding up?

When my tank leaked last week, I got a big plastic tub out and transferred all my rocks and corals and fish to it. No issues at all. I used half tank water and half new water. I also transferred a few cups of sand over but left majority of sand in another bucket because the sandbed is filthy. My plastic tub:

19137705093_2b9370150b_n.jpg

It's not in the picture but I have two circulation pumps running with heater. That's it. I change a few gallons of water every 2-3 days. During this time, I lost color on my SPS but everything else did great. Especially the zoas...I thnk they were more happy in the tub than when they were in the tank... of course, if u have a spare tank lying around, it will be much better than a plastic tub...

When my tank leaked last week, I got a big plastic tub out and transferred all my rocks and corals and fish to it. No issues at all. I used half tank water and half new water. I also transferred a few cups of sand over but left majority of sand in another bucket because the sandbed is filthy. My plastic tub:

19137705093_2b9370150b_n.jpg

It's not in the picture but I have two circulation pumps running with heater. That's it. I change a few gallons of water every 2-3 days. During this time, I lost color on my SPS but everything else did great. Especially the zoas...I thnk they were more happy in the tub than when they were in the tank... of course, if u have a spare tank lying around, it will be much better than a plastic tub...

Awesome... Thanks!

Do you have a sponge of some sort you can put in the buckets with everything to get a biological filter going? Or is that what the rock is for...How are you holding up?

I'm hanging in there. Think I'm going to take this opportunity to break it all down and reset.

Sorry to see this :(

Awe man. This is so sad. :( I hope you get this distaster subsides soon.

Thanks guys. I'll figure something out!

• Like 1

20150718_174252_zps49f7c8a5.jpg

Bare bottom yo! Set up the 12.5 PicO as a temporary hospital tank. Got a Koralia 240 in there to move water. Bought a Hydor 100w heater to keep it cozy, and added the charcoal reactor just in case something decides to poop all over the tank.

Transferred everything that seems to be alive, including all the fish (except for the wrasses who buried in the sand). Since the main tank is still running, I'll let them hang in there until I start draining the water.

The plan is to break down the Cad Lights and move it home. I'll get it up and running, make sure everything is cleaned up, then bring all the other livestock home and reset.

Think happy thoughts for me this weekend!

20150718_173409_zps3169fc37.jpg

20150718_173413_zps408879fb.jpg

• Like 5

20150718_174252_zps49f7c8a5.jpg

Bare bottom yo! Set up the 12.5 PicO as a temporary hospital tank. Got a Koralia 240 in there to move water. Bought a Hydor 100w heater to keep it cozy, and added the charcoal reactor just in case something decides to poop all over the tank.

Transferred everything that seems to be alive, including all the fish (except for the wrasses who buried in the sand). Since the main tank is still running, I'll let them hang in there until I start draining the water.

The plan is to break down the Cad Lights and move it home. I'll get it up and running, make sure everything is cleaned up, then bring all the other livestock home and reset.

Think happy thoughts for me this weekend!

20150718_173409_zps3169fc37.jpg

20150718_173413_zps408879fb.jpg

That's crazy! Is that your sump?

That's crazy! Is that your sump?

Nope, just a spare tank I had lying around.

Shit Chris. Im so sorry.

If you need anything, let me know.

Thanks Alex. If I can get my tank moved and functioning tomorrow, I'll be satisfied. I'm just hoping I don't kill my lions. I'd be happy to build around that pair.

Spiderguardnano

this happened to me the other week my light fell in my tank i wasnt home to save them came home only to find the water super green all fish dead brought all my corals to friend with a 400g tank to try and save them but lost everything i was so sad i easily lost about 3k in zoas easily

i sold everything and taking a break for now

sorry to hear about htis hopefully you have better luck than i did

Sorry about the crash bro, we have all been there and it sucks. I have suffered 2 huge crashes on my 30G cube, it taught me a lot about the hobby and there are definitely some mistakes I wont make again.

charnelhouse

So sorry about this disaster man, that sucks bad. Hope you can pull through it. Maybe start slow, find something special, and build the tank again around that. Do a biotope or something.

I've got a question. In your first post about the disaster you said "The surge protector didn't pop either." Did you have everything on a GFCI, or just a surge strip? Partially a professional query as I'm an electrician. I saw Spider's post about his light falling in and If he sees this, same question to him.

Was the damage done by current in the water, or was it just from power loss and not having anything running?

Sorry to ask when you're going through this....

Both lions died. Pretty over it at this point.

Oh my god man.....I don't know what is worse...the original crash or this....

So sorry about this disaster man, that sucks bad. Hope you can pull through it. Maybe start slow, find something special, and build the tank again around that. Do a biotope or something.

+1 to this.....just saw this cool pair on DD, maybe this will be something that sparks a new interest

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=273167

• Like 2

Both lions died. Pretty over it at this point.

oh noooooo :tears::tears:

Im really really sorry man. But what happened I thought they were in the 12 gallon?