Pod Your Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

That is funny you are suggesting another color backround other than black because I thought the exact same thing. Of course the down side of a lighter backround is the necessity of keeping it meticulously clean. Are you up to the challenge, Mark?

No! I don't do windows. :D

Have you considered a background other than black? Maybe experiment with some colored/white poster board first?

I did blue in a past tank and wasn't really fond of it. I actually prefer a coraline covered background but in this tank, like in the 29 before it, the back wall is quickly colonized by odd things.

• Like 3

Latest. Did a second water change because things looked a little brown. The cyano is gone gone gone and I suspect the nutrients released spiked a few params. Looking much better a few hours after the water change.

I forgot just how big that nem can get, and this is only half of him.

a9XLMzh.jpg

• Like 9

Lookin good! Now that the cyano is gone things look much cleaner! Wonderful!

Awesome! Must be nice to come over to this tank and how well it's doing while you're doing battle in the big tank :)

Thanks. The anemone is on the move again, grrrr. Tank continues to keep looking better.

ms1B6cM.jpg

• Like 7

Check out my blue trumpets. I thought all but one head was dead and thankfully didn't cut it up due to laziness.

ljvCwGf.jpg

Acans growing like crazy in here. You can also see the only remaining problem with this tank ... aptasia everywhere. I think the basslet will eat any shrimp I add and the wrasse eats the nudis. :)

ett5IrR.jpg

I thought this small frag of my purple Duncans were dead as well.

4HtiB9k.jpg

Not sure what he eats but he seems to be getting plenty.

vnh5akx.jpg

He eats everything.

8358iKk.jpg

Katropora

mf3UPKm.jpg

• Like 8
Thatoneomahaguy

Check out my blue trumpets. I thought all but one head was dead and thankfully didn't cut it up due to laziness.

Acans growing like crazy in here. You can also see the only remaining problem with this tank ... aptasia everywhere. I think the basslet will eat any shrimp I add and the wrasse eats the nudis. :)

He eats everything.

8358iKk.jpg

Katropora

Whats this one?! Its awesome!

What a quick turn around in this tank. Did you move anything from the big tank into this one? It looks so full all of a sudden.

Not recently. That nem really takes up a lot of space, maybe that's it?

I just realized why this tank looks so weird to me ... no coraline on the rocks due to the urchin mowing it down. I'm not sure who ate all the caulerpa, maybe the urchin, but all that's left is growing on the HOB fuge return and the Tang doesn't seem interested. :D

• Like 2

I just realized why this tank looks so weird to me ... no coraline on the rocks due to the urchin mowing it down. I'm not sure who ate all the caulerpa, maybe the urchin, but all that's left is growing on the HOB fuge return and the Tang doesn't seem interested. :D

I decided to go back and look at the tank and compare. When you did the rescape in this tank you still had cyano. Now that it is gone the coral contrast and look more colorful against the rock and sand without all that dark maroon backround washing them out. So it looks like you have more coral.

• Like 1

ljvCwGf.jpg

ett5IrR.jpg

4HtiB9k.jpg

vnh5akx.jpg

He eats everything.

8358iKk.jpg

Katropora

mf3UPKm.jpg

I love your fish choices! Some of my favorites. So glad some of your corals are making a come back! Always nice to see when that happens. Looking great!

My urchins eat all my corlaline as well. I always have very white rocks. When I blow off the rocks with a turkey baster, every few days, it looks like a snow shaker in there from all the tiny rock fragments that urchins mow off and leave behind. :)

• Like 1

Time for a picture dump. Except for the zillions of aptasia the tank is looking quite good. I added 5 peppermint shrimp this evening, they will either do the job or be an expensive treat for the basslet. :)

gyu6ZRx.jpg

View from the chair.

PaleoiV.jpg

My Purple Poci has made a fantastic comeback after being removed from the 150, fragged, and the best two pieces put in here. This one was nearly dead on the right side and you can now see some nice bright skin and polyps coming back.

D67QmBE.jpg

Most of the SPS in here are brown, but healthy. This is supposed to be a purple polyp pink bird.

RFVTuqq.jpg

Red Robin that somehow survived the Alk spike.

WtFmgj7.jpg

Katropora continues to look better and better.

6qOJBSF.jpg

... and all that's left of the UC Rainbow milli. How ironic it survives in here. Pfffft.

Hd25Efc.jpg

My old green torch is doing well, but I wish the yellow one survived.

8sjzK9B.jpg

• Like 6

One of these days you'll have to post a picture of this chair. :flower:

What is that growth on the back glass, I thought you had algae but there is white stringy stuff now?

Corals look happy, sand bed too.

Worms on the back wall, I believe due to the fact the basslet likes to excavate everything in the sandbed. It's done this in the 20, the 29, and now the 40 with this fish. Very odd. :)

• Like 1

It all looks like it is doing really well again! Poccillapora are one of my favs. Love the purple. Also your torch. :) I just got my first one a few weeks ago for my 10 gallon. It is a gold. I liked it so well I got a green one to sit next to it for contrast. I love them. So much sweeping movement. It did sting me the other day though when it brushed up against my hand. I know to be more careful now. I was surprised as I have touched many hammers and frogspawns without incident.

• Like 1

It all looks like it is doing really well again! Poccillapora are one of my favs. Love the purple. Also your torch. :) I just got my first one a few weeks ago for my 10 gallon. It is a gold. I liked it so well I got a green one to sit next to it for contrast. I love them. So much sweeping movement. It did sting me the other day though when it brushed up against my hand. I know to be more careful now. I was surprised as I have touched many hammers and frogspawns without incident.

Interesting m2m, I'm not sure if I've ever touched it but so far no stings. :)

Those of you who follow my 150 gallon know that I have evicted the green pallys, but I have evicted them from the house so the ones in here had to go as well. This was hard because it meant losing a small hammer, a frogspawn, Magician Pallys, a couple of Tubbs blue, and some nice orange zoas. I tried hard to save what I could but the nasty pallys are so invasive I could not untangle the mess. I tried working in a bucket but it was soon filled with smelly crap and I just quit.

GgNPyL5.jpg

I was able to pry off an encrusted spot of this Stylocoeniella.

0jJkrrw.jpg

And it appears I was successful in carefully peeling off this orange ric (the middle one).

NTf4lrn.jpg

I put my frag of UC orange somethingoranother "pallys" (which appear to be zoas) on one of the new rocks. These things have grown well for me.

hl3X2Sh.jpg

All I need is for the peppermints (which survived their first day) to start eating the aptasia and life will be good. :D

• Like 7

I dont know if it works on all palys and zoas or not... but when I have a paly or zoa polyp to close to something like an SPS, I just squirt a little Aptasia X on it and it melts and is gone in about three or four days. I have never had to treat one twice. I have had great success in keeping aggressive Zoas and Palys in check this way.

I have a green poccillapora that spawns every once in a while, so I have small baby clumps of pocci all over my rock work. I have just experimented this morning, with squirting a little Aptasia X on a few spots of poccillapora that is all over in my tank. Tonight those spots are bone white and I believe dead.

• Like 1

I dont know if it works on all palys and zoas or not... but when I have a paly or zoa polyp to close to something like an SPS, I just squirt a little Aptasia X on it and it melts and is gone in about three or four days. I have never had to treat one twice. I have had great success in keeping aggressive Zoas and Palys in check this way.

I have a green poccillapora that spawns every once in a while, so I have small baby clumps of pocci all over my rock work. I have just experimented this morning, with squirting a little Aptasia X on a few spots of poccillapora that is all over in my tank. Tonight those spots are bone white and I believe dead.

The green pallys I had are not like anything else. Kalk paste (stronger than aptasia X) would not kill them, just shrink them down but they would also release this brown smoke which would harm any coral it touched. Really really nasty stuff, big and thick and can survive without light for at least a year. No other pally or zoa does this as far as I can tell. The stench is also something unique. My 150 gallon smells completely different now that they're gone.

• Like 3

The green pallys I had are not like anything else. Kalk paste (stronger than aptasia X) would not kill them, just shrink them down but they would also release this brown smoke which would harm any coral it touched. Really really nasty stuff, big and thick and can survive without light for at least a year. No other pally or zoa does this as far as I can tell. The stench is also something unique. My 150 gallon smells completely different now that they're gone.

Wow! That is amazing. Very invasive stran. Sounds very toxic as well. Sorry you had to give up some corals to get rid of it. Looks like you did the right thing for sure in removing ALL of it.

• Like 1

The tank is lookin' good scape wise as well as the coral look healthy. I am sorry that you lost some coral as a result of the invasive paly but I am liking the way the tank looks.

• Like 1