inTank Media Baskets

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Thanks Roger, I'm thinking of how to politely reject the nomination. :) My write-up would be ... I put corals from my other tank in here and they did well, I wish I knew why ... probably something to do with regular maintenance but otherwise not fiddling with things.

NO

:slap:

• Like 2

Thanks Roger, I'm thinking of how to politely reject the nomination. :) My write-up would be ... I put corals from my other tank in here and they did well, I wish I knew why ... probably something to do with regular maintenance but otherwise not fiddling with things.

Ha! Mark, I honestly think this is what most of the rest of us do. You spend a lot more time number chasing and wanting to know exactly what is causing things to be good or bad than the rest of us. I'm a scientist as my job, so I'm like that with most things, but I've just learned to appreciate that there is a certain amount of magic/mystery with reef tanks. Sometimes you just have to say, it looks great so who cares why and just enjoy it!

• Like 1

Thanks Felicia! I know, yet I never learn. :D

KH 7.3, .1 higher than 2 weeks ago. Looks like I stumbled into just the right topoff mix. 3 gallons RODI, 3 tsp Kalk, 45ml Vinegar per gallon.

:lol: Sometimes maybe we make things too hard by trying too hard :)

• Like 1

I got my BML MC fixture hooked up. Running 100%B, 50%UV, 20%W during the day, just B and UV in the evening. THis tank, under blue and UV, is going through one of those perfect stages where I can do no wrong.

Night crew waiting under the anemone.

qoWFjo5.jpg

You won't find me singing the praise of softies very often.

4V8ZKoU.jpg

These look really cool with just the LED strip on.

ZC2g1dG.jpg

Blue and UV only.

XjaMklH.jpg

This tank is acting as a rescue tank for a while. Moving things in here that refuse to do well in the big tank.

• Like 13
HarryPotter

Thanks Felicia! I know, yet I never learn. :D

KH 7.3, .1 higher than 2 weeks ago. Looks like I stumbled into just the right topoff mix. 3 gallons RODI, 3 tsp Kalk, 45ml Vinegar per gallon.

Vinegar? Im not even gonna ask! :lol:

Tank looks incredible... softies to acros something great is happening in this box'o'water

• Like 1

Vinegar? Im not even gonna ask! :lol:

Tank looks incredible... softies to acros something great is happening in this box'o'water

Thanks.

Carbon dosing, but at very low levels. When the tank starts using KH it also becomes necessary to super saturate Kalk in order to keep up. Normally 2 tsp per gallon but can go up to 3 tsp by adding 45ml per gallon RODI. Once that's exceeded then I'll have to put the doser on here.

I estimate evaporation in here is about a gallon a week. :)

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Thanks.

Carbon dosing, but at very low levels. When the tank starts using KH it also becomes necessary to super saturate Kalk in order to keep up. Normally 2 tsp per gallon but can go up to 3 tsp by adding 45ml per gallon RODI. Once that's exceeded then I'll have to put the doser on here.

I estimate evaporation in here is about a gallon a week. :)

You use Kalk instead of 2 part? Sweet.

• Like 1

I knew it, whenever I see that 2 year old hermit he scatters my frags, had to move everything back this morning. I glued down the KBG Acro last night because I knew he was going to do this. 2 years, never changed shells, and I see him maybe a week out of the month. I think he's a zombie hermit.

• Like 4
Pinner Reef

Quick question on that Marineland hidden LED majigger: Does it actually give of any usable PAR, or is it just for aesthetics?

• Like 1

Quick question on that Marineland hidden LED majigger: Does it actually give of any usable PAR, or is it just for aesthetics?

Just for looks. I would not buy one, it started burning out LED's after a few months.

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

Just for looks. I would not buy one, it started burning out LED's after a few months.

Yeah, ML fixtures have always been sketchy it both of these regards. I was hoping they had finally gotten their stuff together. Alas the search for pop in my new system continues. Wish Evil would finish his breakdown of those Euroquatics E5 T5 replacements. They look vaguely promising.

• Like 1

Anemone back to the big tank, way way too big for this tank. I let photoshop "auto tone" this so colors are kind of wacky, taken under blue LED's.

lzBvy7c.jpg

• Like 6

Ahh, I miss the nem though. They can be quite the pain in the butt when they start stinging, or moving so I understand.

Hopefully it will sit still in the big tank. :) I had moved the mp10 very close to the front of the tank and yet the tentacles were still getting too close. I could imagine waking up to a nuked tank and didn't like the idea much.

• Like 3

Hopefully it will sit still in the big tank. :) I had moved the mp10 very close to the front of the tank and yet the tentacles were still getting too close. I could imagine waking up to a nuked tank and didn't like the idea much.

Yep, I don't blame you there. I suppose sps are more sensitive but even in my little tank I woke up more than once to a nem that divided and one of them was sucked into the koralia or shredded. Amazingly nothing ever suffered from it except the nem, of course, ha ha! Perhaps running fresh carbon 24/7 is what saved my tank, idk.
  • Like 1