Cultivated Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Great pics! Do you still run the razor at 100% over this?

Thanks! Switched to t5 goodness using my old old aquatic life fixtures.

• Like 2

Great looking tank!! Are you still only doing minimal dosing?

Still Kalk, 1tsp per gallon RODI now, with 45ml Vinegar per gallon. Timed topoff delivers about 1/4 gallon topoff a day, maybe a little less.

10 gallon water change today, Colors are good, acros could be better, and algae growing everywhere. PO4 reads 0, Nitrates just barely above 0. Entire tank is an algae scrubber. :)

• Like 3

Algae in this tank has exploded, and I think it may be due to old T5 bulbs (didn;t think how old some of these are, only one new one since I switched).

MoyA6qo.jpg

Most corals look good, ironically acros are a little light and PO4 / NO3 both test near 0 again, being sucked up by the algae.

I have begun moving some SPS frags back into the 150.

• Like 5

It is a delicate balance. Good thing you have your other tank to bounce things back and forth into. I do the same with my 10. :)

• Like 1

Algae in this tank has exploded, and I think it may be due to old T5 bulbs (didn;t think how old some of these are, only one new one since I switched).

MoyA6qo.jpg

Most corals look good, ironically acros are a little light and PO4 / NO3 both test near 0 again, being sucked up by the algae.

I have begun moving some SPS frags back into the 150.

Eeek! I seem to be doing the same thing. As soon as I think one tank is doing really well, something happens to it and I have to move a bunch of corals to another tank. Oh well, at least I have other tanks to put them in :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Back to all LED after 2 hot days in a row brought temps up to 82F. I forgot I had to use fans to cool the tank when lit by T5s. Using a combination of the Maxspect Razor (120 lenses) plus BML strips front and back. Will need to watch KH closely for a few weeks as things settle in.

PAR meter is so critical for LED. Set things to max at what I thought was dim ... 350 PAR. Aiming for 200 to start with, 80-100 on the sandbed.

• Like 3

How is the algae issue, any better?

Slowly getting better. Had to net some today as it's dying and floating around. I've cut back on feeding to just enough for all the fish to get their fill except that yellow tang, who has reluctantly started cleaning the rocks. :)

• Like 3

Doesn't look too bad from a distance. :) All corals and fish are ding great, which is all that counts IMO.

6Fo5etj.jpg

The Katropora has browned out, but the teal stag has turned solid light blue and looks fantastic.

7IFqDeI.jpg

I am tempted to cut some heads off and move them to the big tank. When given room to grow this beast can get very very big.

EZkuWl4.jpg

• Like 8

The colors still look fantastic :wub:

Thanks, hopefully they stay that way. Most of the corals left love LED so they should. It kills me how the slimer stayed bright green and grew while the other acros went pale. The montis are all brilliantly colors as well. Why ask why. :D

• Like 2

Thanks, hopefully they stay that way. Most of the corals left love LED so they should. It kills me how the slimer stayed bright green and grew while the other acros went pale. The montis are all brilliantly colors as well. Why ask why. :D

I don't have any slimers, but in my tanks the monticaps always stayed beautifully colored under conditions that made everything else turn brown or bleached. That's why I was so surprised when my green caps got all browned out that one time.

• Like 1

Acros moving back into my big tank. I think it looks a lot better now but still a few more things to move around.

21rT4Qq.jpg

The 40g is looking good. Seems like the algae issue has moved in the right direction and the coral are certainly nice and bright and colorful!
  • Like 1

Major cleaning today, and it still needs more since any dying hair algae I missed is already stuck here and there. Why is it dying? /shrug

cCBDeZh.jpg

Frags are either moved or mounted, colors are still off the charts (for me anyway). 5 gallon water change today, will do another when I have time and scrape/remove more algae. Moved, pushed, lifted, cursed, scooted stuff around to try and get some balance and open space. Many corals still mad and water cloudy.

Zoas seem to do well in here so maybe I'll get me some more.

• Like 7

Very nice! Looks more open.

Thanks m2m. Just got finished doing the second cleaning, full scrape, netted out the floating algae, then did another 7 gallon change sucking out anything I missed. KH has risen to almost 8 so I super diluted the Kalk topoff and will see how it goes. Last thing I want to do is spike KH.

• Like 2

Here we go. :) Smelly as well.

Everything recovering nicely before I disturbed it again.

h4a3s4O.jpg

Yum

LtmydAK.jpg

This evening, Just before lights start to dim.

hgWl8Gl.jpg

The sympodium are getting huge.

0r2xlKj.jpg

NpJssMF.jpg

Did someone tell me what these were ... or looked like?

iwv9HlX.jpg

He posed for just long enough.

8HCRgMU.jpg

This is my very first Duncan colony, bought as 2 heads over 2 years ago.

gHrX51F.jpg

My purples are recovering very nicely in here.

NJrks7d.jpg

H523fOT.jpg

Getting really big, and a bit stinky. :)

GSeNMGx.jpg

• Like 7