Top Shelf Aquatics

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

teenyreef

Here we go. :) Smelly as well.

Everything recovering nicely before I disturbed it again.

h4a3s4O.jpg

Yum

LtmydAK.jpg

This evening, Just before lights start to dim.

hgWl8Gl.jpg

The sympodium are getting huge.

0r2xlKj.jpg

NpJssMF.jpg

Did someone tell me what these were ... or looked like?

iwv9HlX.jpg

He posed for just long enough.

8HCRgMU.jpg

This is my very first Duncan colony, bought as 2 heads over 2 years ago.

gHrX51F.jpg

My purples are recovering very nicely in here.

NJrks7d.jpg

H523fOT.jpg

Getting really big, and a bit stinky. :)

GSeNMGx.jpg

Wow, these look great! I love those purple duncans, I wish I had some to go with my green ones. In the tank that doesn't have room for them...

• Like 4

Hammer Time

NkrWT3v.jpg

Found this shockingly good looking hammer at the neighborhood LFS and it's Indonesian so will grow faster and not be a drama queen like my Aussie Toxic Hammer.

RfUID5i.jpg

Too much light or too low nutrients or both or neither, these are hard to keep healthy long term. The heads grow out more like a wall hammer so growth is slow. 2 years old and this is all it's grown.

They also had a nice clean plug of zoas, these are the green skirt with orange face common ones, common = cheap. Did an extremely strong dip in flatworm exit and scraped everything with a dental pick, plus inspected.

xGRiLmk.jpg

FTS, things slowly clearing up. I'm counting on the Kenya tree to puff up putting a nice pink between the torch and hammer. The red goni is much much happier in this tank, it hasn't spread out this far in a long time.

qMQTWyE.jpg

• Like 11

If you ever frag that green nepthea I want some :) Tank is looking good

Looks great in there.

Thankyou thankyou. :)

I think I've settled on montis and birds in here and no acros, except the the one glued to the rock that I'm too lazy to move. The Miami Orchid frag is getting killed by a big aptasia and it's been zombied since the big Alk spike So I think I will cut the best pieces and toss the rest. The crazy yellowish bird that used to rule this tank in another life would look good in back there. All I need to finish my bird collection is another BOP.

My blue digitata. Seems to like to stay healthy and grow.

uzq1JCy.jpg

Orange digitata, exactly the opposite. WHen healthy it's nice looking but I'd rather have a Forest Fire or similar.

Ys7tH0M.jpg

• Like 9

Everything looks great! The colors are amazing. I like the placements you have as well. The color scheme is very nice. You have one chubby tail spot!

• Like 1

Everything looks great! The colors are amazing. I like the placements you have as well. The color scheme is very nice. You have one chubby tail spot!

Thanks M2M. :)

I was working a little late on my big tank and got to see the 40 under just blue LED. No complaints. All the corals, except for the acros, love when I stir up the muck when cleaning. The colors have really come on strong over the last few days.

GQBcW8t.jpg

• Like 7

That blue digi is cool. I've never seen a blue one before!

Me neither, was complete luck that the store had one and I have yet to see another. Sk8n Reefer has one as well in his tank.

• Like 1

Thanks M2M. :)

I was working a little late on my big tank and got to see the 40 under just blue LED. No complaints. All the corals, except for the acros, love when I stir up the muck when cleaning. The colors have really come on strong over the last few days.

GQBcW8t.jpg

Everything looks awesome Mark. You must be pleased after all the grief you have been through recently. I am happy for you.
  • Like 1

Everything is looking fantastic but, unfortunately, I infected the tank with the green cyano crap from the 150. Not hard to clean off but annoying. I don;t want to do anything because all the corals are doing great.

Yesterday

eEFW3GR.jpg

Today, after blowing off rocks and sand vac / 10G water change

ENkvYT7.jpg

I have to admit that with certain corals LED's really do make the tank look fantastic.

The pink bird has really improved in coloration.

CCuV0Eg.jpg

New Hamma

PRqMWdL.jpg

The lowly Kenya Tree (Capnella)

rgJExUH.jpg

Nepthea

atm3JU7.jpg

The 3 acros left in here look like crap. The slimer will green up and look fantastic, the Miami Orchid looks to be a goner, and the KBG is brown and grey. I only care about the slimer and if the KBG clors up, great.

• Like 10
reefernanoman

Everything is looking fantastic but, unfortunately, I infected the tank with the green cyano crap from the 150. Not hard to clean off but annoying. I don;t want to do anything because all the corals are doing great.

Yesterday

eEFW3GR.jpg

Today, after blowing off rocks and sand vac / 10G water change

ENkvYT7.jpg

I have to admit that with certain corals LED's really do make the tank look fantastic.

The pink bird has really improved in coloration.

CCuV0Eg.jpg

New Hamma

PRqMWdL.jpg

The lowly Kenya Tree (Capnella)

rgJExUH.jpg

Nepthea

atm3JU7.jpg

The 3 acros left in here look like crap. The slimer will green up and look fantastic, the Miami Orchid looks to be a goner, and the KBG is brown and grey. I only care about the slimer and if the KBG clors up, great.

Looks good! Nice digitatas. I have a forest fire digi. They are awesome!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

KH 6. Oops.

Colors are off the charts except for the acros, which are horrible looking. All caps and digitatas full of color, zoas growing like crazy, trumpets doing well, toxic hammer fully recovered, basically nothing except the acros looks bad.

Unfortunately the green cyano is also doing very well so the tank is in the middle of a chemi-clean treatment and very cloudy at the moment.

• Like 1

Tank was too cloudy for my tastes and while it may have been bubbles from the skimmer (cup raised all the way) I decided to go ahead and do a water change to suck out the dying cyano. Leaving carbon out for another day or so. Using Red Sea Blue Bucket which mixed to 8.4 KH this time around.

Picture as the lights dimming, still cloudy. Look how big that goni skeleton is, and in here the polyp extension is usually twice what it was in the 150.

SRYrq6I.jpg

• Like 2

What do you think caused the sudden drop in alk? Just the sps growing and increasing their uptake?

I'm glad everything but the acros are looking good. Hopefully they will bounce back quickly.

• Like 1

What do you think caused the sudden drop in alk? Just the sps growing and increasing their uptake?

I'm glad everything but the acros are looking good. Hopefully they will bounce back quickly.

Thanks teeny. The acros in here all look like crap and aren't growing but the caps and digitatas are really taking off. Ever since I nuked this tank by dosing too muck Kalk I tend to underdose and make up with 2 part if it gets too low. It's amazing to me how good everything looks at such a low Alk.

• Like 2

Tank is still humming along. Cyano is present due to me doing a water change prior to the complete chemi-clean treatment but it did take care of the green sludge on the sandbed.

L4aC5dJ.jpg

Acros are all horribly colored but birdsnests seem to do well in here. This one browned a little but continues to grow well.

D1e5Pi9.jpg

I've been impressed how these acans have held their red color under LED. I'm running whites almost as high as blues which browns out the acros but seems to do well for the LPS corals.

1iKKEMx.jpg

My toxic hammer made a full recovery and is now working on the Xenia.

CutEY6G.jpg

• Like 5

That toxic hammer :wub:

I've never had problems keeping acans red under my LEDs, even with high levels of white. But I did see the other colors like orange and green disappear until they were all red. So far my experiments with bluer LED lighting in the 10g tank are going well, but I also just got nitrates and PO4 at decent levels in that tank, so who knows how much of an effect that had too.

• Like 1

Still going well, nothing dramatic to report. Temps have been getting up to 82 due to the lights on the big tank exhausting onto this one. I'm working to mitigate that and I think I can keep the max temp to 80 or so with a few well placed fans.

4iYzIjN.jpg

• Like 9

Is that a torch next to a kenya tree? Looks like they are getting along just fine!!!!! :o. Everything looks so colorful :wub:.

Hi Gena,

it is, but I don't think the Kenya tree and the hammer to the right are getting along. The Kenya Tree might need trimmed. :) That's my very first coral ever, gave up getting rid of it a long time ago. Pesky trees are everywhere. :D

• Like 1

Hi Gena,

it is, but I don't think the Kenya tree and the hammer to the right are getting along. The Kenya Tree might need trimmed. :) That's my very first coral ever, gave up getting rid of it a long time ago. Pesky trees are everywhere. :D

I really like kenya trees. The one in my tank didn't look nearly as good as yours. The spot I had for it just wasn't right. And it didn't seem to play nicely with any of the corals which is why I was so surprised to see yours getting along with the torch! Funny how that LPS is ok but it has issues with the hammer.

• Like 1

Still going well, nothing dramatic to report. Temps have been getting up to 82 due to the lights on the big tank exhausting onto this one. I'm working to mitigate that and I think I can keep the max temp to 80 or so with a few well placed fans.

4iYzIjN.jpg

I love this tank. I have trouble keeping any of my acans any color BUT orange. Frustrating. Those red ones are really nice. I bumped up the blue in the LEDs hoping that will help.

What kind of goni is that? It is gorgeous! How long have you had it? Looks like a while!!!!

• Like 1