ReefCleaners.org

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

PO4 0

NO3 0

Everything doing well, maybe a little loss in color. Dosed just a tad of CaNO3.

I'm feeding this tank almost as much as the 150, where are all the nutrients going?

• Like 3

This tank ticks me off. :) Never looked this good when it was my primary tank, but the acros are still dull, even though params look ridiculous.

ZgXaZKP.jpg

This is becoming the frag rescue tank as I move SPS into here.

The montis I moved have turned around in less than a week. So if I lower PO4 too fast in the 150 everything suffers, but if I move from a high PO4 tank to a low PO4 tank everything is fine AND colors back up. Really?

Red Cap, 150

HkyhFKW.jpg

Piece moved into here 5 days ago.

WTBRGib.jpg

My blue digitata, thankfully, also made a fast recovery. No comment on the zoas in the background, I haven't been able to kill them yet.

mfadgwb.jpg

The mystic sunset did take 3 weeks to improve.

enjVyzo.jpg

As did the green cap

ugS5txy.jpg

Just moved this over, but at least showing some polyps.

LEoMQVy.jpg

I moved this rock forward and the Blenny found a new home.

xXYhJqx.jpg

Last one.

Gj3HyMr.jpg

• Like 10

Everything is looking great! Love the blenny. To cute peeking out. I do the same thing. If something is not doing well in my display, I move it to my 10 gallon. It usually does well in there. Also I have to be very careful in feeding my feeding my 20L. I feed every other day or I get algae. But in my 10, I feed twice a day and have no algae issues. Almost the same set up in both.

• Like 1

Everything is looking great! Love the blenny. To cute peeking out. I do the same thing. If something is not doing well in my display, I move it to my 10 gallon. It usually does well in there. Also I have to be very careful in feeding my feeding my 20L. I feed every other day or I get algae. But in my 10, I feed twice a day and have no algae issues. Almost the same set up in both.

Ha, it's enough to drive a person crazy!

• Like 2

Ha, it's enough to drive a person crazy!

I know what you mean! Everything looks amazing, by the way :D

I experience the same thing between the 10g, the 4g, and the frag tank. There's always some coral that does much better in one tank but not the others and has to move into another tank to get rescued.

The more I try to deal with PO4 levels, the more it seems that aiming for a specific PO4 level in and of itself is of little value without really understanding everything that's going on in the tank. You can artificially lower it with chemicals, but I think the more important thing is the complex, underlying organic processes going on in the tank, and PO4 measurements only tell part of the story.

My frag tank had PO4 at or near zero with tons of nuisance algae growing. When I added some live rock, within two weeks PO4 went up to about .2, but all the algae went away, and I can grow SPS in there now. However, the SPS frags moved from the 10g at .5 PO4 don't have as much color in the frag tank as they did in the 10g tank, even though the lighting intensity is about the same.

At the same time, I've gotten nitrates down from 15-25 to about 5, with no real signs of improvement in SPS, and possibly some distress in the acans and hammers.

To me, it seems like the biggest difference between your two tanks is more about the mature, undisturbed rock in the 40B versus the major rescape and paly-ectomy you did in the 150. This seems to matter more than the actual levels of the parameters, from what I can see :unsure:

• Like 3

What teeny says makes sense about maturity and the undisturbed rock in the 40 versus the major rescape and paly-ectomy (I liked that word BTW teeny) in the 150. I say just give the 150 a chance to mature and settle.

• Like 3

My Tuxedo Urchin is spewing something out the top. Is this a known thing?

Hmmm, spawning. Blenny loves it so maybe a female.

Hmmm..I have a tuxedo and a pincussion and they both have very clean grains of sand comming out of the top all day long. Mine have never spewed anything that I have seen. It will be interesting to hear from anyone else who has seen this.

• Like 1

Is it white, tan or orange? White could be sperm, orange would be roe, tan or brown is poop.
  • Like 2

Hmmm..I have a tuxedo and a pincussion and they both have very clean grains of sand comming out of the top all day long. Mine have never spewed anything that I have seen. It will be interesting to hear from anyone else who has seen this.

Still not sure what it was but everyone seemed to like it sio I hope ot wasn't poo. :D

Another thread I have to read :)

Tank looks sweet Mark.

Wow, thanks! We need to see more of you around!

Is it white, tan or orange? White could be sperm, orange would be roe, tan or brown is poop.

It was whitish so either eggs ro sperm, not sure which. Supposedly if fish seem to go after it then eggs.

---

Water change yesterday, KH sitting at 6.8 and seems to be steady at the moment.

I found an old bag of carbon and gfo in the HOB sump ... don't remember putting it there. I replaced with another small bag, carbon and just a little GFO. Flow is pretty slow so I doubt the GFO does much, but who knows.

• Like 1

Great group of shots Mark, that blue digi is nice!

Thanks, I really like the blue digi!

More pics.

My purple Duncan frags are doing very well in here, though the one just visible on the left is not really purple yet. Hmmm.

QoDWiy1.jpg

A piece of the wild aussie acro. It browned but looks very healthy.

IVtYysp.jpg

Miami Orchid starting to show more purple. I really need to get a little extra light to the back of the tank. 4 T5's is not quite enough to cover the front and back.

uL3MWJX.jpg

Moved this over just last week and already showing remarkable improvement.

4QD8qmT.jpg

KBG Acro

pKno4Lo.jpg

Teal Stag

RWX0TfA.jpg

Red Robin

mr1wVSN.jpg

Duncans

eiWvTDj.jpg

Thankfully my blueberry capitata is coming back to life. Got this from Reef Gardener years ago. http://s40.photobucket.com/user/reefgardener/media/P5210041.jpg.html

SBCh8lN.jpg

Red cap is almost fully back, a little under 2 weeks after transfer.

cBH1eaI.jpg

Katropora

rlPIn76.jpg

Unknown bird

a4WsfjK.jpg

Blue Trumpets back from the dead

VPmtyJM.jpg

Stylocoeniella

DjQvSSO.jpg

Toxic Hamma

8kgS9a4.jpg

FTS; yes I need to scrape again.

n4aKzw4.jpg

• Like 10

Wow, what a difference a couple weeks can make when corals are in conditions they really like! Everything looks great :)

I second what teeny said.

• Like 2

More frags moved in here as either backup or an attempt to save.

neFJvnn.jpg

This is what's left of the Orchid Stylo :tears: There are two decent branches in back I can chop off if the whole thing starts to die.

RXGJZVD.jpg

I believe this is what I called Blockhead, the big square acro which is now almost completely dead. This little frag up on a frag rack was doing well, but I moved it in here just in case.

gYbWTzX.jpg

Tank is getting full of frags.

260Cwkw.jpg

Purple Poci! I thought I had lost this months ago, perhaps when the big tank started to go downhill. Love the colors, it really glows purple/pink from across the room.

opEdmQb.jpg

• Like 7

is that purple duncan a branching?

Yep, though the branches were annoyingly tight when it was a large colony, making fragging a real pain.

Good luck with them Mark. I hope they do well in the 40.

Sorry about your Orchid. I hope it recovers for you. Love the purple stylo. So pretty.

This could be the healing tank.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I forgot to re-visit after the last post. :)

• Like 3