Top Shelf Aquatics

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

I'm still overseas for a few more days but placed my Amazon order for a saddle seat for this project. Seems like it would be a lot more comfortable than the stupid seats that come with these bikes.

s-l1000.jpg

:(

I've been planning on doing this when I get back from my overseas trip

UpLift-Bike-Desk-sec4-350.jpg

I have a spin bike but of course the seat is deliberately made ultra uncomfortable so you stay off the seat. I'm going to swap the seat for a comfort saddle, remove the handle bars, raise my desk to appropriate height and bike all day.

• Like 1

I'm still overseas for a few more days but placed my Amazon order for a saddle seat for this project. Seems like it would be a lot more comfortable than the stupid seats that come with these bikes.

Good idea. I can get a standard bicycle seat mod for the exercise bike so I think I'll do this and then order one of these. PT tells me it will be a while yet before I can get back on any bike, still have a lot of core training to undo years of not regularly exercising.

Ha ha, I also pump water out of a brute can! It stinks to have to do things the 'sissy' way but at least we can still do water changes!

I am really liking the 25 gallon on wheels, not sure why I didn't do this before.

Looking good. I like the basslet. He looks very grumpy :)

Yea, he's a funny fish with a lot of personality. He and the tailspot occasionally go at it as well, but the tailspot is too fast for him and likes to sneak up from behind.

• Like 2

I use my brute can to hold water for my 90g freshwater tank. It sits in the garage and I just run a hose from the can to the tank, and pump the water out with a cheap pond pump.

• Like 1

KH has risen slowly to a little over 10, woops. Acros seem just fine but I believe the monti is suffering due to the change. Diluted my vinegar + Kalk topoff mixture to KH should slowly fall back down. Did a PAR check of the tank and lowered the white LEDs on the razor to 50% while keeping the blue at 100. No losses, nothing in great peril.

Omg, you have three of my fav fishes in there! Black Cap (bigazz chunky one), TSB (also super fat n healthy), and the Possum Wrasse. :wub: dem fishes. Nice selections. :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Some top downs of the acros. I spiked KH in here all the way to 12 KH

Oops.

Apparently the Katrapora is not so sensitive to slow Alk spikes because it's doing well.

uVIjWc.jpg

Red Robin, meh

jNOweR.jpg

Teal has lost some color.

0zHKmx.jpg

Slimer doesn't like KH spikes which will brown the skin, but overall it stays happy.

n62BsG.jpg

• Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...

This tanks is a disaster. PO4 is 0, NO3 is 0, and the ALk spike has done massive damage to the SPS. I switched back to T5, I just can't tune the Razors to look good. Now running 4 T5 (blue+, coral+) and a BML strip in front.

DfnJYP.jpg

Cyano is epic and aptasia is reproducing at an alarming pace.

The blue stag is quite dead, the Katropora is not healthy but still has green, the Red Robin has dead spots but still alive, the slimer is brown with green polyps and some recession, and the Miami Orchid is deep rich brown. Ah well. :) Not all is bad, of course. LPS and softies doing quite well.

I have lots of cool shrooms in here.

3eM85f.jpg

and the Red Acan is growing like crazy.

cEzIUZ.jpg

And then suddenly puttputt comes out and decides to show off in front of me (sneaky tang in back)

9lVkcG.jpg

45PYbP.jpg

Never eats any food I add to the tank yet stays fat and healthy. Flatworm eater extraordinaire.

UbPexw.jpg

• Like 6

Oh no - what do you think caused the alk spike? Just overdosing? Or something more basic related to the nutrients crashing?

I was using Kalk in the topoff and usage was steady, then I hurt my back, and of course then the tank stopped using Alk, probably because LED's suck. :) Just kidding. I did this when switching from LED to T5 on the big tank, the light switch always causes corals to adjust, I just missed it again.

Ah Mark, I am sorry that this tank has hit upon hard times. Hopefully you can turn it around....or turn it into an LPS softie tank?

Thanks Dawn, not sure yet what I'm going to do. Probably keep the easy SPS once I get things stable again, I have a lot of frags in the 150 that need a home. :) I'll probably pull the slimer from in here and replace it with a bigger frag, because I have a LOT of it. Same with the blue. Going to do a few big water changes once I make some more water, get things back in range, figure out how much Kalk and vinegar I need in topoff, and then move things and try not to kill them.

Oh, and peppermint shrimp for the Aptasia.

• Like 3

Aww, just when things were doing well in here. If this were my tank I would not put anything in here till I stabilized it. I'm sure it is stable now but that cyano and aiptasia and whatever you have growing on the back wall needs to be addressed before you add more corals.

A file fish will make short work of your aiptasia. As a bonus it might eat those invasive palys as well.

MB7+coral snow - mixed and set aside for 2 days and then dosed daily will help the cyano.

Don't change lighting or chemistry while you do these things, work on one problem at a time. The corals browned, they will take time to color, address the other issues in the meantime.

I was using Kalk in the topoff and usage was steady, then I hurt my back, and of course then the tank stopped using Alk,

I'm not sure how the tank stopped using alk, did the corals feel sad you were hurt? :slap:

I was away for 2 weeks - tank remained steady, even if my alk and calcium dosing containers were empty.

:angry:

Also - when was the last time you siphoned the sad bed in any tank?

• Like 1

Aww, just when things were doing well in here. If this were my tank I would not put anything in here till I stabilized it. I'm sure it is stable now but that cyano and aiptasia and whatever you have growing on the back wall needs to be addressed before you add more corals.

A file fish will make short work of your aiptasia. As a bonus it might eat those invasive palys as well.

MB7+coral snow - mixed and set aside for 2 days and then dosed daily will help the cyano.

Don't change lighting or chemistry while you do these things, work on one problem at a time. The corals browned, they will take time to color, address the other issues in the meantime.

I'm not sure how the tank stopped using alk, did the corals feel sad you were hurt? :slap:

I was away for 2 weeks - tank remained steady, even if my alk and calcium dosing containers were empty.

:angry:

Also - when was the last time you siphoned the sad bed in any tank?

Bah,

New tank, did not siphon first water change, will this one. I am ignoring this tank for the most part, everything is replaceable and the fish are just fine. I'm just now feeling up to taking care of both tanks. The cyano will fade soon, it's already started to clear up switching to T5's. Using Cyano Clean and coral snow to help reduce it. I also have MB7 if I need to use that trick.

Corals can shut down if light is changed, and the corals HATED the Razor.

You and that file fish :) , no file fish for me but I will use peppermint shrimp.

This tank is still fairly new, and should not be left alone yet. Some rocks from the 29 but new sandbed makes it pretty much new. Tang is eating the caulerpa, urchin is keeping the pump intakes clean, only cyano and KH being unstable, which can easily be fixed.

• Like 1

FILE FISH! :angry:

NO!

My failure is complete, I killed the slimer. Since my SPS dealer is quite generous I did a few big water changes and am starting over. Rescaped to give the tang a cave in the back (under the slimer) and a few more spots for SPS. Will they hold color?

wSFgMrl.jpg

Lighting is

front to back

BML custom LED, blue heavy.

Aquatic Life Blue

Coral+

Coral+

Blue+

• Like 5

Look at that sand! it's not purple.

It will be tomorrow, this cyano is epic. Tried coral snow and MB7, and now coral snow and KZ cyano clean. Next step is to transfer some more critters from my 150, this sand is dead.

• 2 weeks later...

So the slimer died, the teal acro died, but the Miami Orchid stayed alive and the Katropora

uhMVC4l.jpg

Ha, looks better than in my big tank. How awesome is that cyano?

Since switching to T5 the tank first looked ugly and dull, but now it's coming alive with color. KH is down to 9 and very slowly falling.

• Like 1