Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

The anemone spawned around 10 pm, grrrrr. I left the light on to work and that plus stress from the move must have triggered it. Used up all my water with a water change .... corals and fish seem fine so hopefully it won't pollute the tank too much. Skimmer is going nuts. I need to get rid of the damn thing, this helped me decide.

Back hurts, but for the most part I'm done. Apex hooked up, everything working except topoff which I have to hook up tomorrow. I carefully cut pieces of plastic to cover all the escape routes behind the glass lids, so hopefully the wrasse won't find a way out.

• Like 6

The anemone was walking so he's back in the 29 all by himself. Guess I'll tear down that tank later. sheesh.

I really suck at scaping, really :D I'll get a pick of attempt number one and then do some tests and see what I can move where.

Z1dyT4.jpg

sPI69p.jpg

I'm moving corals into the 29 that I plan to get rid of. Purple Duncans and Yellow torch still coming into this tank.

KH is 8.2 which is lower than I expected but about perfect for transferring some acros.

Light with the Maxspect and two BML strips is nice and even front to back, but pictures turning out horrible. :)

• Like 7

The anemone was walking so he's back in the 29 all by himself. Guess I'll tear down that tank later. sheesh.

I really suck at scaping, really :D I'll get a pick of attempt number one and then do some tests and see what I can move where.

He's walking because he's trying to get to my tank.
  • Like 2

Looking great! I like the scape so far. Lots of room in there.

Thanks, I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out.

The jackass

xoiIt5.jpg

Two acros (Miami Orchid and the Teal stag) plus the yellow torch moved over.

X7cz1b.jpg

The sinularia nepthia is loving life at the moment. That clown goby was pestering it as well.

S9uW0H.jpg

Some SPS lost color, some did not. All have good polyp extension and don't look stressed, so far. I'll test PO4 tomorrow and if I don't get a result I'll dose Phosphorus again. I can honestly say I've never had a tank look this good this fast, including when I moved things to the 150. I do think elevated PO4 via dosing helps things out. I'm also dosing Microbacter, 2 caps daily for a week.

rfiVoA.jpg

tHGtlG.jpg

I do have more space but .... :D

en3Q3d.jpg

I'm really curious to see how the lighting does because this is almost exactly the combination I would use over the 150 if I stop using T5 (slight chance next summer). Razors for the primary, BML 20K (multi-channel on the 150) and my custom blue/warm strip. It looks very nice over the 40, a little nicer than my current T5 bulb combo to be honest, but the important thing will be the acro colors.

• Like 6

Looks great Mark!

I'm a little confused by the dosing...are you dosing NoPox to reduce nitrates and PO4 while also dosing PO4? :huh:

Thanks!

Not dosing NOPOX in here. :) I mix vinegar with the topoff (super saturated Kalk, 3 tsp/gallon) which adds just a bit of carbon source but not much since evaporation is so low. The 29 never had any PO4 or Nitrates, it was sucked up by the algae, I assume, so I'm dosing a bit of both to help with the transition. The SPS were immediately happy, within minutes of switching tanks, which is unusual in my experience especially in a tank with a new sandbed. Can't be sure it was added nutrients, but they sure didn't hurt.

Damn that razor is hung high!

It is a very bright light, especially with the 90 degree lenses on. Now that the tank is clear I'm going to have to re-measure PAR, I was going for 300 max near the top of the dongs but with just the blue on it looks a lot brighter than that.

DON'T SAY THAT! He'll fill it up with boulders!

That's it! I need a few big white rocks in there. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I thought it'd be all dongs, all over.

Acros will provide the height, I'm going all in mixed reef and I fully plan on that slimer to get big in here as well.

Random thoughts ...

I've got six doser outlets under the 150 which will be dosing two part into this tank (if needed) along with the Kalk topoff. I am going to drop the vinegar from the Kalk mix so I can take advantage of the PH raising properties of Kalk and because I'm near the doser so I can dose now.

The tang needs to eat caulerpa for this to work, otherwise I have to take him back and get another tang. If I remember correctly it takes them about a week to get settled in. He's eating flake ok but spends most of the day riding up and down the right side of the tank (stress behavior). He and the blenny just did a tank tour so that's a start. I probably should have waited a day or so to get the tang but I wanted all the fish to be added near the same time because the basslet can get a little testy.

The little wrasse has been out in front more, which tells me he needs food. This tank and rocks were covered in brown flatworms but I can't find any now, not sure what the heck happened to them. I might have to get some frozen food if he doesn't have enough to eat.

Must resist the urge to add more fish. I want a low bioload tank, I can add nutrients if needed.

I forgot all about my tuxedo urchin! Fortunately he made it over, saw him this morning. He may have eaten some caulerpa, not sure.

I see the hermits made it over as well, though I didn't see them. Frags in the sandbed turned upside down and moved around.

I thought a little about colors this time around, though it annoys me to have to plan that way. The only obvious (to me) issue is the green torch near the green nepthea.

Did not measure any PO4 so I dosed another 1/2 cap of Seachem Phosphorus. The caulerpa should love it.

• Like 1

My BML fixtures aren't multi channel so I used the black tape method to reduce some of the white by covering the LED's. :D Tank looks better than my 150, really curious to see what the acros do in here.

KH 8.2 again so no change since yesterday.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Not dosing NOPOX in here. :) I mix vinegar with the topoff (super saturated Kalk, 3 tsp/gallon) which adds just a bit of carbon source but not much since evaporation is so low. The 29 never had any PO4 or Nitrates, it was sucked up by the algae, I assume, so I'm dosing a bit of both to help with the transition. The SPS were immediately happy, within minutes of switching tanks, which is unusual in my experience especially in a tank with a new sandbed. Can't be sure it was added nutrients, but they sure didn't hurt.

Thanks, Mark, guess I got confused with the 150 thread. Do you usually dose PO4 in a new tank? I'm impressed at how things have gone so far.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark, guess I got confused with the 150 thread. Do you usually dose PO4 in a new tank? I'm impressed at how things have gone so far.

MetroKat did it when her Katropora started to STN and it worked. My thinking is a newer tank with a new sandbed, even with older rock and the same filtration, experiences a rapid drop in nutrients as the sandbed soaks it up. I still don't know how much to add or when to stop. I see some brown growth on a few rocks already, which is good, and coral colors have stayed remarkably good, with the mini slimer staying a bright green so far. Too much PO4 will brown the corals, too little will kill them. I'll take brown if I have to choose.

Dang Mark, you change tanks more often then I change my underwear lol.

Ha! :D

• Like 4