SaltCritters.com

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Love it! Looks great and I like the rockwork. Cant wait to see everything fill in!

Thanks, I'm a little stunned just how well this tank is doing.

Some SPS top downs ... I just moved a frag of Red Robin and Katropora in here from my 150.

npUp7e.jpg

v6lwPO.jpg

M6pDch.jpg

ymBKNd.jpg

VlB1RB.jpg

G4coeW.jpg

FnsPNW.jpg

rgtUWl.jpg

LKuoaH.jpg

Nitrates registered 0 yesterday so I added CaNO3, I thought I added a lot, but Nitrates at 1 today so I added some more. If the Caulerpa is really eating up the nitrates that fast then everything we've been told about fuge size is bunk, which would not surprise me.

• Like 5

LOVE the top down photos! Wonderful colors. I especially like your birds and was that a purple stylo? Very nice!

Thanks. The purple and yellow is a Bird of Paradise I broke up pretty bad when moving tanks. I don't have the purple stylo in here, gets too big too fast. :D

• Like 2

I have a Bird of Paradise as well. They are pretty hardy and mine is more a pink color. Yours looks more lavendar or purple. Very pretty. Sorry it got broken but I bet it will regrow quickly.

• Like 1

I now have two anemones in the old 29 gallon. *sigh*

The anemones and zoas are happy but nothing else is, going to increase flow, do a big water change, and see if I can improve things. I dosed nitrates up to 5, but it didn't seem to help.

Zoas, happy, ironic.

• Like 1

I mean I just moved the thing from the 29, new sandbed, dosed Phosphorus and Nitrate haphazardly until things looked better, got a tang, moved SPs over. What else can I do? :D

• Like 1

Looking good Mark.

Hows that HOB skimmer? Im trying to find one i can use but most of them dont seem like its worth it.

It's the AquaC Remora and it's fairly reliable but noisy as all get out. It's quieter than the CPR skimmer that came with the HOB fuge, but still too noisy. No micro bubbles, ever, due to the fact it's spray injection and not the bubble wheelio thing (think spraying a jet of water to make the surface foam).

It is pulling more out of the 40 than it did the 29, and the skimmate is a darker tea colored but nothing like the brown stinky sludge the big skimmer pulls out of the 150.

It's the AquaC Remora and it's fairly reliable but noisy as all get out. It's quieter than the CPR skimmer that came with the HOB fuge, but still too noisy. No micro bubbles, ever, due to the fact it's spray injection and not the bubble wheelio thing (think spraying a jet of water to make the surface foam).

It is pulling more out of the 40 than it did the 29, and the skimmate is a darker tea colored but nothing like the brown stinky sludge the big skimmer pulls out of the 150.

Yea i dont think any HOBs really pull out dark sludge like most bigger skims do for obvious reasons. Thats why im so hesitant to get one since it seems like theres no point.

• Like 1

Yea i dont think any HOBs really pull out dark sludge like most bigger skims do for obvious reasons. Thats why im so hesitant to get one since it seems like theres no point.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think I read an article a while back regarding skimmates. The article stated that a wetter skim is not any less effective that a dry skim, and in fact may actually pull out more organics. The drawback to the wetter skim is just that you have to empty the cup more often

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think I read an article a while back regarding skimmates. The article stated that a wetter skim is not any less effective that a dry skim, and in fact may actually pull out more organics. The drawback to the wetter skim is just that you have to empty the cup more often

And it removes more water (and therefore over time your salinity drop will be greater if you do not make any adjustments to it).

• Like 1

I'm not so sure it's wet per se, it takes a bout a week to fill the little cup. I try and skim medium on the big tank and it's a liquid but nice and dark and smelly. With HOB skimmers you don't get much of a choice, at least in my experience.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure it's wet per se, it takes a bout a week to fill the little cup. I try and skim medium on the big tank and it's a liquid but nice and dark and smelly. With HOB skimmers you don't get much of a choice, at least in my experience.

Yea i think i may just aim for 2 w/c a week and skip the skimmer.

• Like 1

there's a silencer hack i found somewhere where you use the Remora collection cup base as a template and cut out a square from a credit card or butter tub lid and add airline hose around the edge of the rectangle shaped cutout (by slicing long wise on the tubing) and dropping the whole schebang on the injector side of the skimmer. I just did it after suffering for a long time with the noise. it doesn't eliminate the noise, but it is much more bearable.

i had to make the cutout bout an 1/8" smaller on one side as the skimmer base was hitting it on the way down.

• Like 1

there's a silencer hack i found somewhere

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it.

So I came home to an awful pungent smell, I figured something really bad happened to the 150 but no, it was coming from the 40. The Alveopora that has been sketchy for a year bailed out and died and it S T U N K. I threw what was left back into the woods and put ROX carbon in to clean the water. Smell was gone in a few hours but man it was bad. I didn't see any damage, no upset corals, nothing that looked even slightly wrong, just that smell.

• Like 1

found it. from here in N-R. Aqua C Remora Noise Baffle by Drez

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/102503-aqua-c-remora-noise-baffle/?fromsearch=1

it wouldnt let me link to the topic title while on mobile but there you go.

Thanks for tracking this down!

Things continue to go well in here, maybe a little too well. :)

I am really glad I saved the tiny piece connected to the ORA plug when I first got this. I lost the larger one in my 150. Loves lower light.

ZoFech.jpg

Blue stag encrusting and staying a decent blue.

LTHGqa.jpg

Katropora frag is so tiny but already encrusting and a nice green on top.

6rIQxa.jpg

Red Robin

SjULdH.jpg

en1zTb.jpg

• Like 6

Thats a very nice blue stag

Thanks, bought it from Salty Underground along with some Berghia, I lucked out since I haven't seen them selling it since.

• Like 1