ReefCleaners.org

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

The anemone is looking better today, he crawled down the rock and hid yesterday so I dimmed the lights a bit and filled the tank up, checked params, and then completely covered the top.

qUtOAU.jpg

Not sure how long I'll keep it running, not sure if I can keep it healthy with no fish.

• Like 6

Imageshack, where I host all my images, has suffered a major outage. I uploaded a few to imgur so this thread has a few pictures to look at. :) They say all should be restored in 48 hours ...

LNlY2g7.jpg

SGciYSj.jpg?1

Will be closely watching the acro pieces moved from the 150.

Teal Stag

NsIePwb.jpg

Miami Orchid

9dxOQOe.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Mark

The tanks look great, the photo clarity on the Teal Stag is spectacular, what type of set-up are you using for your photos?

Thanks!

Nikon D3100 and using a 35mm prime lens (50mm equivalent) for that picture.

Thanks for getting back to me Mark.

Does that mean it is equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame? The reason I am asking is your shots are great and I am new to the DSLR world. I recently purchased a D300 with a 50mm 1.8, I was wondering if a 35mm is a good lens for aquarium shots. Or is it operator?

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me Mark.

Does that mean it is equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame? The reason I am asking is your shots are great and I am new to the DSLR world. I recently purchased a D300 with a 50mm 1.8, I was wondering if a 35mm is a good lens for aquarium shots. Or is it operator?

Yea, I think. It means it's a lot closer than one would expect. I first bought a 50mm lens and it behaves like a 70mm on the 3100 body.

Prime lenses have great glass and a lot clearer pictures, but honestly I use the cheap kit lens most often, that's the 35 - 70mm zoom (I think). I also use my tamron 90mm macro lens for real closeups.

• Like 1

New FTS's. Used the Photoshop auto tone. Not bad, pretty good looking, maybe a little too yellow?

WGkj3S7.jpg

The anemone mess. My plan for this tank is very simple. No fish, very few water changes, hopefully very little evaporation, and see what lives. I will do what's needed to keep the anemone healthy until I can get rid of him, but after that I would love a lower light dirty shroom/softie, hardy LPS tank.

Pretty ugly at the moment.

MmnRau3.jpg

Oh yea, the tang is eating the caulerpa! :naughtydance:

• Like 7

Yea, I think. It means it's a lot closer than one would expect. I first bought a 50mm lens and it behaves like a 70mm on the 3100 body.

Prime lenses have great glass and a lot clearer pictures, but honestly I use the cheap kit lens most often, that's the 35 - 70mm zoom (I think). I also use my tamron 90mm macro lens for real closeups.

That's exactly the lens combo I use, except I never use the kit lens. If it had VR I might use it more for handheld stuff, but without VR the 35mm is much better glass to begin with.

Mark, what is the light-colored square thing behind the tank? I wonder if that is screwing with your camera's ability to auto white balance and set exposure?

• Like 1

That's exactly the lens combo I use, except I never use the kit lens. If it had VR I might use it more for handheld stuff, but without VR the 35mm is much better glass to begin with.

Mark, what is the light-colored square thing behind the tank? I wonder if that is screwing with your camera's ability to auto white balance and set exposure?

Reflection off some white 1980 classic paneling. I don't have backing for this tank yet, not sure what the heck I did with the piece I used to use.

New FTS's. Used the Photoshop auto tone. Not bad, pretty good looking, maybe a little too yellow?

WGkj3S7.jpg

The anemone mess. My plan for this tank is very simple. No fish, very few water changes, hopefully very little evaporation, and see what lives. I will do what's needed to keep the anemone healthy until I can get rid of him, but after that I would love a lower light dirty shroom/softie, hardy LPS tank.

Just like my tank! Everyone needs a low light, dirty shroom/softie, hardy LPS tank.

• Like 1

Whenever I changed from the darker blue and the frosted back on my 80 to the clear back and lighter blue of the 40, I've had to adjust the color temperature slider in Lightroom all the way to the '50K' setting to get colors to look how they actually are. I never thought that the color behind the tank could have such a massive impact on the camera!

Woah! Lot's of changes! You've joined me in the 40B club :) Looks like you've got quite the view with those 3 tanks all near each other. Very fun!

You've got to build an anemone island that is surrounded with several inched of sand on each side so that your anemone is stuck and can't wander. That's how I've got 5 in my little tank without them bothering my other corals. They meander about their island, but they can't get off of it.

• Like 3

Woah! Lot's of changes! You've joined me in the 40B club :) Looks like you've got quite the view with those 3 tanks all near each other. Very fun!

Thanks Felicia. The anemone can wander the other tank all it wants. :)

It's ugly, but the inhabitants are healthy for now, anemone expanding more each day. I've dosed 1/2 cap Phosphorus and 20ml of a nitrate solution every other day and they still read 0.

qcaLtF.jpg

The 40 is doing quite well, Dosed another 2 ml Phosphorus and some CaNO3 pellets, both ready very low but not 0. The orange digi in the center was stressed for a few days but the Phosphorus dosing really seemed to turn it around. Tang is eating everything, caulerpa, red hair algae, brown algae, you name it. Getting a little fatter every day.

xYK1SX.jpg

• Like 6

What are you using to dose the phosphorous? I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I need to add some to my tank. Test kit always reads 0 and I can't get a macro to grow for anything despite there being 6 fish in the tank. I already feel like I overfeed. Nitrates typically read between 2 and 5. I have no carbon or phosphate removers in the system.

• Like 1

What are you using to dose the phosphorous? I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I need to add some to my tank. Test kit always reads 0 and I can't get a macro to grow for anything despite there being 6 fish in the tank. I already feel like I overfeed. Nitrates typically read between 2 and 5. I have no carbon or phosphate removers in the system.

Seachem Phosphorus for planted tanks. Be careful, with 6 fish and heavy feeding I would suspect a test error or you clean up too well. PO4 will be added by rotting food and fish poop.

I am a little fanatical about cleaning, mostly because the sump is also on display a lot but this test is always 0. I get different readings with the same kit on a different tank.

Seachem Phosphorus for planted tanks. Be careful, with 6 fish and heavy feeding I would suspect a test error or you clean up too well. PO4 will be added by rotting food and fish poop.

• Like 1

Tank is doing very very well. The dosing of Phosphorus and Nitrate really helped negate any stress from the move and the corals, and algae, have responded to it. Nitrates down to undetectable already so dosing small amounts weekly. KH hanging around 8. The teal acro did not lose any color going from T5 to LED. :o The slimer has turned bright green and has white growth tips and good polyp extension.

CRLWk8.jpg

• Like 7