Pod Your Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Glad to hear the new heavier feeding is bringing back the colors to your coral. I think I am going to try to find a green slimer. Everyones is so....well green!

If you want an acro it's a good one to start with if you can find a real slimer that's been in circulation a while. Mine is from someone in north central KY who brings in HUGE, I mean almost as long as my arm "frags" twice a year. Apparently he has a really really big tank. So see if you can get one from a local club I guess is what I'm saying, or a LFS that knows the lineage. :)

• Like 2

If you want an acro it's a good one to start with if you can find a real slimer that's been in circulation a while. Mine is from someone in north central KY who brings in HUGE, I mean almost as long as my arm "frags" twice a year. Apparently he has a really really big tank. So see if you can get one from a local club I guess is what I'm saying, or a LFS that knows the lineage. :)

Those are big frags! Thanks for the advice. I will look around locally!

Colors still improving. Green birds looks a lot healthier and is regaining green polyps. Green tip bird has a way to go still. The crazy bird, is a nice green, and the slimer is ridiculous.

BRgq0K.jpg

• Like 9

Colors still improving. Green birds looks a lot healthier and is regaining green polyps. Green tip bird has a way to go still. The crazy bird, is a nice green, and the slimer is ridiculous.

BRgq0K.jpg

And the nepthea is the star of the tank :flower:.
  • Like 4
HarryPotter

BRgq0K.jpg

This is in my top 5 favorite tanks on NR :)

Just beautiful, incredible movement, and great livestock

• Like 3

Everything looks amazing! So you think the color/condition in your birds nest, in this tank, was because of to light a feeding program?

• Like 1

Everything looks amazing! So you think the color/condition in your birds nest, in this tank, was because of to light a feeding program?

Thanks. Yea, I think it had to be. I've done 1 weekly water change, feeding a small pinch of reef roids every day and a half cap of Seachem Fuel (because I have it) twice a week. I probably could feed heavier but the algae is still there, mostly on the pumps and back glass. I did scrape again last WC which is why it looks so clean.

I always forget you have this other tank! I agree with Gena that the nepthea is the star of the tank! So much pop!

Thanks. :) Neglected tanks always do better for me.

This is in my top 5 favorite tanks on NR :)

Just beautiful, incredible movement, and great livestock

Thanks Harry.

• Like 3

Seems to always be the case. Chase the numbers and it never looks great, but just ignore it and it thrives. I think we fiddle too much :lol:

• Like 3

Lovely tank! It looks great. Interesting to hear your getting improved colors in your SPS due to more feeding. I'm dealing with a similar issue I think. Question on your lighting..are you still using the razor Nano, if so with or without 120 optics? Also of you can share your a/b settings and mounting height...thanks!!

• Like 1

Lovely tank! It looks great. Interesting to hear your getting improved colors in your SPS due to more feeding. I'm dealing with a similar issue I think. Question on your lighting..are you still using the razor Nano, if so with or without 120 optics? Also of you can share your a/b settings and mounting height...thanks!!

I used the 160W 3 puck version, not the nano. Right now I'm using a ReefBreeders Photon. I'd say colors are a little better with the ReefBreeders than the Razor but not by much. I did use the 120 optics, required IMO otherwise you have to hang the light upstairs. :)

SPS need food in the water to achieve the best colors. I was guilty of underfeeding the tank due to the algae issues and that pales most of them out. You have to keep up on the exports, skimmer, water changes, both, but it's worth it. I keep SPS in my big tank so I neglect this one a lot. :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't keep the KH elevated with Kalk any longer so time to move some SPS out of here and go more LPS. I've got a toxic hammer I can move over, maybe my wall frogspawn (killer), perhaps one of my suffering acans. I've let the red gonipora get too large so I can't move it ... but I can always buy another. :owned:

Slimer will stay, it looks too damn sexy in here.

• Like 2

Moved some rapidly growing SPS out, moved the toxic hammer in. The hammer started attacking nearby corals 5 minutes after I glued it down. Caulerpa has gone nuts in here while I wasn't paying attention. Changed out a bag of carbon plus GFO to try and slow it down.

Simple video.

FTS

7oTQ7J.jpg

Hamma

FDzajD.jpg

I added an orange monti digitata as well. So much for getting rid of most of the SPS.

wfbmZE.jpg

• Like 8

Looks great and that hammer looks really pretty in there. Nothing wrong with a few SPS if they can tolerate less stable or lower all - I'm not surprised you couldn't resist :)

• Like 2

Nice video clip! The tank has some really sweet water movement going on. Everything looks great. I have always had trouble with hammers reaching out to touch someone.

• Like 1

I did a 20% water change, cleaned both pumps, and scraped the back glass, so I owe myself a new FTS. :)

xb2VQw.jpg

Why the long face?

7xVvpc.jpg

Oh, that's right, because I removed all the acros but the slimer and it's no fun because it tries to kill you with slime. :D

I played around with the brightness of the BML strip in front (angled back) to try and improve the reds. Suffice to say the Reef Breeders Photon unit I have really stinks for color rendering. My BML strip, custom made years ago, has warm white, royal blue, and 420 violet. It's an odd color, but it does improve the reds. Targeting 280 PAR down the middle.

• Like 7