ReefCleaners.org

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Good grief what a job. I missed a water change and paid dearly as the hair algae on the walls took off. Over the last 3 days it grew so much I could barely see the MP10. 25% water change and glass scraping and netting the algae to get back to where it was.

yjyxTw.jpg

Sexy poci crab.

klKN2U.jpg

Having a good time in here catching the junk floating around.

065J9x.jpg

Moved some acros back to the 150 and this tiny frag of my yellow/green poci in here.

58RdTy.jpg

Acan trying to eat algae fuzz.

5XPU5F.jpg

• Like 8

That is a beautiful poccillapora! They are one of my favorite corals! And the little crab is very cute. He came as a hitch hicker? Is he called an acro crab?

The only crabs in my system are porcalines. Thank you for sharing. I will go back thru and read your thread. Your tank is wonderful.

• Like 1

That is a beautiful poccillapora! They are one of my favorite corals! And the little crab is very cute. He came as a hitch hicker? Is he called an acro crab?

The only crabs in my system are porcalines. Thank you for sharing. I will go back thru and read your thread. Your tank is wonderful.

He was a hitchhiker that I did not notice when I bought it. It's the same family as an acro crab, same species as far as I know.

New FTS after everything settled. PO4 and NO3 is 0 so i actually dosed a little nitrate to see what happens. Get ready for algae explosion! :D Corals are bleached, but seem healthy.

LpshBO.jpg

My new little wrasse is getting braver. The flash did not fire for whatever reason. It's what I really dislike about this Nikon camera, given a must have shot something will fail for no apparent reason.

TkYqL3.jpg

Puttputt Too is just like PuttPutt one, he never eats any food I feed but is getting fat.

• Like 4

nice tank, sorry to hear about algae issues.

There are strainers you can get at restaurant supply stores or online called "chinois" they come in a variety of fine mesh sizes. I once helped a friend clean his tank of GHA and strained tank water through a chinois and filter floss. worked wonders!

• Like 1

Nice little crab- great pics! Puttputt is awesome

Thanks!

aaaah. I want a little acro/pocci crab too. More pics, plz!

I know, I am super lucky I got this one. :)

nice tank, sorry to hear about algae issues.

There are strainers you can get at restaurant supply stores or online called "chinois" they come in a variety of fine mesh sizes. I once helped a friend clean his tank of GHA and strained tank water through a chinois and filter floss. worked wonders!

Thanks for the idea. If I get off my butt and keep the front and side glass scraped it shouldn't be so bad. I'll have to find a picture when the algae was at its worst. :)

• Like 1

I hope my green nepthea grows up to look like yours :wub:.

With your touch I'm sure it will outgrow mine in a few days. :) It's been a very easy coral for me, the only issue I had was when some sludge started to cover the stalk.

• Like 1

With your touch I'm sure it will outgrow mine in a few days. :) It's been a very easy coral for me, the only issue I had was when some sludge started to cover the stalk.

Seems to be a fast grower! How did you fix the sludge?
  • Like 1

Seems to be a fast grower! How did you fix the sludge?

Blew it off with a turkey baster and caught it with a fish net. Most non lazy reefers would have dealt with the issue long before it became a problem. :) I noticed it was closed up for a few days, which led me to discover the sludge.

• Like 1

Blew it off with a turkey baster and caught it with a fish net. Most non lazy reefers would have dealt with the issue long before it became a problem. :) I noticed it was closed up for a few days, which led me to discover the sludge.

I have a tendency to let things get out of hand too :lol:. I'll keep an eye on my leather bases :).
  • Like 1

Do you happen to know what kind of Gorgonian you have in this tank? It looks so happy and fuzzy. Is it pretty hardy? Everything looks really good.

• Like 1

Do you happen to know what kind of Gorgonian you have in this tank? It looks so happy and fuzzy. Is it pretty hardy? Everything looks really good.

Unfortunately no, I bought it as a dirt cheap frag from a LFS going out of business. It's extremely hardy but has episodes now and again. Never lost any skin, and I've had to clip it back a few times. It requires light, I'd say moderate light, to be happy.

• Like 1

Unfortunately no, I bought it as a dirt cheap frag from a LFS going out of business. It's extremely hardy but has episodes now and again. Never lost any skin, and I've had to clip it back a few times. It requires light, I'd say moderate light, to be happy.

What ever it is, it is very pretty!

• Like 1

What ever it is, it is very pretty!

Thanks. :)

Nitrates = 0. I even added some yesterday and today 0. What is it with me and nano tanks anyway? I had to pull my hair out to get nitrate low in the 150 and in this one and my old 40 I can't get any!

Moved this from the 150. I had Sympodium way back when I had my 20 long and killed it. Over a year later this showed up at the nearby LFS for $15. Really nice sized frag, and looks great under LED.

Yr9w5j.jpg

So you have Seafoam Pallys? GET THEM OUT NOW. In case there was any question. I'm curious why they look so good in this tank but bigger, browner, and uglier in my 150 under T5. You can see some nice orange skirt pallys, Magician, and a few Tubbs Blue managing to hang on.

9Rrsz5.jpg

I need more Acans in here. This colony has been growing well since I added it and always has good color.

dNWMCs.jpg

Since the glass is so clean I must do a corner shot. :) Unfortunately you can see the reflection of the larger tank as well.

3DnUYc.jpg

• Like 7

dang Mark your rocking two sweet tanks! Now I am calling for the new orange Pavona pics over here too :)

lol, moved it over to the big tank. I did take a picture of it over there.

• Like 1

Dang that looks fine Mark. Such a sweet little tank.

Thanks, it's fun and fairly painless compared to the behemoth.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

lol, moved it over to the big tank. I did take a picture of it over there.

haha -that's awesome...........on my way

• Like 1