Pod Your Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

The wrasses jumped. :( How the hell he made it out I have no idea but there he was on the carpet, dead. Damn damn damn damn damn damn.

The wrasses jumped. :( How the hell he made it out I have no idea but there he was on the carpet, dead. Damn damn damn damn damn damn.

aww. So sorry to hear that :(

• Like 1

Thanks all, just makes me mad because it was completely avoidable. He made it out where I put the new skimmer and was too lazy to cut more of the glass lid spacer to fill all the gaps.

Ah... but it is a wonderfully interesting aquarium nonetheless. And that gave me an idea, so I just started this thread.

Thanks, but you forgot a category for hot mess. :)

75% water change today, and the corals really responded well. Replacement water a bit warmer than the tank, similar KH, did not check PH. This brown algae crap, whatever it is, is everywhere. Put a new large bag of carbon+phosguard in the sump.

Took a few top downs half way through emptying the tank. The slimer and bird were exposed completely for 2 minutes as I emptied and then quickly re-filled.

You can see the gobs of algae everywhere.

GmdLUi.jpg

The slimer has been doing great, the green much more intense than I can capture here. Slimers like LED apparently.

S4aK4p.jpg

The orchid stylo has looked a lot better.

pqeGHY.jpg

Nepthea!

KhHhyr.jpg

Frags are doing well. UC rainbow on the left, blue tip acro on the right.

CNVrsl.jpg

Maricultured acro still doing ok, it lost some turquoise but still slowly coloring up.

yQH64r.jpg

FTS post water change and cleanup.

HG89LR.jpg

Besides the algae there is a film of muck growing on some of the rocks which got me thinking about all the vinegar I'm adding via the super saturated kalk. I dosed a vial of BioDigest after finishing the water change to see if it's helps clean some of this up.

• Like 5
Sk8n Reefer

Very nice! Ya when I used to do large w/c's my large Birdsnest and blue digi would remain out of the water for a good 4-5 minutes - never seemed to bother them too much! UC rainbow and orchid Stylo ???

• Like 1

I leave corals out of the water for ten or fifteen minutes at a time quite frequently. When I'm doing some difficult (for me) glue up, it works way better if I do it in the air, so I just drain most of the water in the tank, let it settle in the bucket, and then put some back along with new water. The corals always do fine, even my purple gorgonian in the 10g tank.

• Like 4

When I worked at the live fish store my boss said 15 minutes was not a problem for most corals. This was in the late 90's though so he wasn't carrying SPS.

• Like 1

You should at least scrape this little tank to see if you like and want to put the effort into scraping the big tank :)

I did scrape this a month or so ago. I probably will scrape it again. :D The 150 is not getting scraped except to possibly remove some poci's.

jedimasterben

I leave corals out of the water for ten or fifteen minutes at a time quite frequently. When I'm doing some difficult (for me) glue up, it works way better if I do it in the air, so I just drain most of the water in the tank, let it settle in the bucket, and then put some back along with new water. The corals always do fine, even my purple gorgonian in the 10g tank.

I've forgotten corals sitting out of water for an hour or so, and when attaching gorgonians I usually use epoxy, and leave them out of the water for at least an hour, sometimes two or three so that the epoxy doesn't make my skimmer go completely insane when curing, no losses from that :)

Corals on some of the higher reef crests get exposed for several hours daily during low tide. They just slime up real good and they're ok :)

100531biod4571m3.jpg

• Like 2

Hey mark.

Great tank you got running there. It might not be super polished but still I really like how it looks.

The brown algae you have in there looks a lot like some of the gunk that I've been having trouble with. Mine just comes along with some nasty purple hair algae as well. I've found that emerald crabs eat the stuff in my tank. Just a thought :)

Hey mark.

Great tank you got running there. It might not be super polished but still I really like how it looks.

The brown algae you have in there looks a lot like some of the gunk that I've been having trouble with. Mine just comes along with some nasty purple hair algae as well. I've found that emerald crabs eat the stuff in my tank. Just a thought :)

Thanks nidding, appreciate the visit and the idea. I just let this tank ride to see what happens and give me some knowledge on how bad it can get. Right now, without much effort, the green algaes and bubble algae seems to be on the decrease, not sure why. Unfortunately this includes a lot of cool little algaes that I was hoping would take over.

• Like 1

Bubble algae has gone up and down for me as well. Can't tell why either.

As I had some issues with salinity some time ago, every herbivore I put in the tank (luckilly not too many) died on me, so for quite some time that brown stuff along with some reddish turf algae also got to run its course. At a point it started to smother all the corals, so that was when I started taking measures. It was really interesting, though, to see how the algae would change through time and keep 'evolving'.

I'm following the thread and look forward to see what cool stuff comes along :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

An update.

I spend very very little time on this tank so frankly it's doing pretty darn well. This tank just grows things, even though it's got algae issues, flatworms, and some kind of bacterial sludge issues.

Bubble algae is still on the wane, caulerpa has slowed down and even died in spots, and no hair algae, or at least the kind I'm used too. Brown algae is still all over the place but not growing as fast as it was. The poor Blenny tries his best but there's just too much of it. :) I've got an RW-4 on order to replace the WP10, which should help add a little more flow.

FTS

WKyvei.jpg

Slimer has lost some green but keeps growing.

spng9H.jpg

Orchid Stylo looks pukey but is getting some nice pink tips.

e9SSlU.jpg

The maricultured acro has lost a lot of color on the stems but the base is still a bright blue and growing.

7Ugbca.jpg

The alveopora had a rough spell for some reason but is now coming back strong. Still a little bleached.

6qnPBC.jpg

My Rics are all doing ok, some better than others.

mnyw0X.jpg

ZRNkIZ.jpg

I put in a small rock with seafoam pallys from my other tank because I wanted something invasive to help cover the rocks. It worked, a little too well. At least they look more colorful under LED. You can see a few blue, orange, and magician pallys as well.

uFXiIE.jpg

As far as corals that have recovered well in this tank .....

This was the ugly green frogspawn that fell behind the rocks in my 46 and was in very little light for months. Now it's doing better than my other frogs.

o7ZOhC.jpg

Got these crazy long tentacled micro zoas over a year ago and I thought I lost them all, and now bang, coming back on and around the original plug.

yv4FTk.jpg

This leptastrea is orange with brown black edges in the 150. I thought I removed it all but here it is growing back. It's always had white borders in this tank. This is also a good view of that hazy sludge growing everywhere.

vQe5aV.jpg

Last pic. The blue white trumpets are doing something odd down here in the shadows. These heads are new and I'm not sure why they are growing down here.

0jAMTR.jpg

• Like 6

Something so natural looking about all the different algae/sludges growing amongst your corals without over bearing them. Call me crazy but I dig it.

• Like 2

Oh wow there is so much freaking going on in this tank lol. It's looking great. I think that tanks look much more natural and like what you;d see in the ocean when it's not micromanaged.

• Like 1