Cultivated Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Couple pics. Nothing much going on except the new purple fuzzy mushrooms, which take up a lot or real estate. That's a good thing!

K5bt7Y.jpg

mqZSrr.jpg

Ze0ESz.jpg

Page Quote. :D

Very nice!

Thanks Hypo.

• Like 1

Mark, the tank looks great and I love the pic of that darling little fish peeking out of the rock. Is that the starry blenny? It looks so colorful whatever it is.

• Like 1

Mark, the tank looks great and I love the pic of that darling little fish peeking out of the rock. Is that the starry blenny? It looks so colorful whatever it is.

I really want a fish like that mark. What is it?

Thanks.

That's a Tailspot Blenny. Supposedly hard to keep alive but maybe they thrive in dirty tanks? :) He's got just a ton of personality but likes to hang out in little caves, holes in rocks, and PUMPS! I have to make sure I have my eye on him when turning any pump back on after cleaning.

• Like 2

Thanks.

That's a Tailspot Blenny. Supposedly hard to keep alive but maybe they thrive in dirty tanks? :) He's got just a ton of personality but likes to hang out in little caves, holes in rocks, and PUMPS! I have to make sure I have my eye on him when turning any pump back on after cleaning.

I did not think it was your starry blenny because he has little antennae like things on its head but I didn't know you had another blenny. He's cute for sure. I had one but he didn't last in my tank.

• Like 1

AquaC Remora skimmer has arrived to replace my CPR fuge and crap ass skimmer, which quit on me.

I need to let the box collect some dust, then it will be ready.

• Like 3

I did not think it was your starry blenny because he has little antennae like things on its head but I didn't know you had another blenny. He's cute for sure. I had one but he didn't last in my tank.

My Starry was moved to my 150 from the 46 and then died a month later. I have to assume it was due to ich since I had an outbreak, but it also might have been the Kole tang harassing him. Too many similar algae eaters. :( I miss the old man, but I honestly had no idea how big they got. The store where I bought him got a larger one in that was at least 6" long!

• Like 1

My Starry was moved to my 150 from the 46 and then died a month later. I have to assume it was due to ich since I had an outbreak, but it also might have been the Kole tang harassing him. Too many similar algae eaters. :( I miss the old man, but I honestly had no idea how big they got. The store where I bought him got a larger one in that was at least 6" long!

Ahh, I am sorry Mark, I didn't realize he had died. I guess it happened in that time frame where I was missing your posts on the 150. Blenny's and gobies are the cutest fish but I have found them to be a little more fragile than other fish.
  • Like 1

Tank looks good! I need to get my Tailspot blenny out somehow... he's definitely not getting enough food and the tangs are constantly chasing him. Just need to figure out how..

• Like 1

Tank looks good! I need to get my Tailspot blenny out somehow... he's definitely not getting enough food and the tangs are constantly chasing him. Just need to figure out how..

Take out the rock he lives in and put in a bucket of sw, feed, and see if you can yank the rock out, then catch?

• Like 1

Take out the rock he lives in and put in a bucket of sw, feed, and see if you can yank the rock out, then catch?

Good idea, but that's not really much of an option. He sleeps in different locations in my base rock (largest and bottom most pieces in my scape.) So I would literally have to take out all the rocks to remove "his rock". Might have to drain all the water into tubs again like when I caught the yellow coris wrasse. I used a garden hose and the whole procedure only took 20 minutes from completely draining to catching the fish to refilling and having the pumps back on.

• Like 1

AquaC Remora is installed, HOB filter removed. I'll run media in the HOB fuge if needed.

Instructions say it will be noisy and produce micro bubbles until broken in. It's rather quiet, much quieter than the piece of crap CPR skimmer, and no micro bubbles. Just the lid on the skimmer cup demonstrates how crappy the CPR skimmer is. Solid heavy piece of acrylic and fits snugly on top of the skimmer cup but does not need to be pried off to empty.

Only negative is the size of the feed pump in the tank, but this tank isn't exactly a work of art. :D

LscyLB.jpg

EFet2v.jpg

Did a 15 gallon water change today, vaccing out a lot of algae. I also cleaned the MP10.

Aptasia are all gone, the last big one vanished a few days ago. Hopefully I'll spot some nudis on the glass so I can move then into the 150 for some touch up work.

• Like 2

So I'm thinking a lot of birdsnests in here would be fun, especially since I'm going to have frags or entire pieces from the 150 that can go in here. First I need to spend a few more weeks eliminating all the algae the hermits haven't removed, get the skimmer broken in, and then gt rid of that poci and go all bird for the SPS in this tank. The Ponape has been doing fantastic and Alk levels holding or slowly rising with the super saturated Kalk, so I think I should be ok.

• Like 2

All birds nests would be cool, (an SPS theme tank of sorts). How many kinds are there? And I am guessing they vary a fair bit color and shape wise?

Lots of different kinds I gather, and lots of color options.

So this is not what I intended when putting this shell in the tank. The little punk is poking Herman every time he tries to peak out to inspect the new shell. :D

cFOZI9.jpg

• Like 4

Wow. 4 solid hours of work and I still would not call it finished, but a heck of a lot better. My goal was to remove most of the algae from the glass and anything else I could scrape or suck out. I would fill a bucket of water, then refill with the same water, straining it with a fish net. Did this 4 or 5 times and then finally re-filled with new saltwater. About a 25% water change when all was said and done.

My leather coral had come loose a few days ago and it was rotted and stunk. This was the nice green polyp leather. It's gone now. :(

Moved and twisted rocks around, removed the ugly pocillopora, and put in 3 different birdsnests from my 150. The brown frag that I never mounted. Growing good, but no color yet. What was left of the green birdsnest, and a stem of the crazy yellow/green bird. I also put the branch of slimer that was growing on the sandbed in here.

KH was at 10 just before the water change, so the kalk is keeping it steady. Slimer moved from 8 to 10KH so I expect it to brown and struggle for a while.

FTS

pVlK8m.jpg

Really a damn good looking fish.

jZrrYY.jpg

Almost got a good photo of the wrasse. At least his tail was fanned.

QFuxvq.jpg

Slimer is slimin'.

DsUpNt.jpg

Forest fire digitata. Apparently I removed all the MEN when I noticed them on the frags from the 150, so it just keeps slowly growing but really pale. I think the lighting was too dim so I cranked the razor up a bit.

tjn5ef.jpg

I still want to move a frag of Bird of Paradise from the 150 but not sure where I'd put it. Maybe if the brown bird is a dud a'll mount it up on that rock.

I took a quick video for the heck of it. Lights are dimming to blue so white balance is a it odd.

• Like 4

Oh I really like this guy

Yea, the best description is an adorable little punk. :) His back tail is usually folded and he wags it to scare fish ... or something. Almost like it's a stinger of some sort. He'll do this to both the Blenny and the Basslet when they get into a dispute. I'd love to get it on video but so far no luck.

Yea, the best description is an adorable little punk. :) His back tail is usually folded and he wags it to scare fish ... or something. Almost like it's a stinger of some sort. He'll do this to both the Blenny and the Basslet when they get into a dispute. I'd love to get it on video but so far no luck.

Sounds really cool! I would't have the patience to sit around with a camera waiting for that to happen haha. Tank looks better! My TSB is not as skinny after upping feedings, so that's good. Now I don't have to try to catch him. Tang is a little bit better too, he'll fill out when he;s full with food, but "looks" skinny at other times. Maybe it just needs time

• Like 1

Sounds really cool! I would't have the patience to sit around with a camera waiting for that to happen haha. Tank looks better! My TSB is not as skinny after upping feedings, so that's good. Now I don't have to try to catch him. Tang is a little bit better too, he'll fill out when he;s full with food, but "looks" skinny at other times. Maybe it just needs time

Yea. The tang I call Righty, who occupies the right side of my 150, was skinny for a few months after I got him. I would feed him 3 or 4 times a day and it took forever for him to bulk up. The other tang I had bulked up within weeks.

• Like 1

The 29g looks good after the deep clean you gave it. You got some handsome fish in that little tank.

Thanks Dawn!

So my roll of black backing has collected 6 months of dust ... might be time to finally install it.

Thanks Dawn!

So my roll of black backing has collected 6 months of dust ... might be time to finally install it.

You could, but that would make all the gunk on the back glass that much more visible... my next tank will definitely be a peninsula and I'm going to scrape all my glass clean regularly. I also like the clean look you get with a white/light blue background a lot more than the effect of a black background. Makes the tank look smaller imo

• Like 1