Pod Your Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Arkayology

Yea, it was getting nuts. I was dosing a half a cap of alk a day and it still dropped from near 10 to 6.5 in 5 days.

I'm dosing 35ml of each 2 part. 1 cap isn't anything. :P

Good luck with the new tank organization. It will definitely be easier to maintain now.

Alk usage is down to a half a cap every few days now. Much better.

Added a green polyp finger leather, and 2 $10 frags. One a barely alive pipe organ plus green clove polyp and a single head of brown/white Grandis Paly, both sitting at the bottom of their frag tank in a forest of Kenya trees. Can you believe that my Kenya tree in the 40 might have finally died, now that I have a place for it.

Herman the thin stripe finally got to the worst algae rock last night while the black cap basslet was sleeping. The black cap is such a gentle fish until a hermit gets near its hole. He continued to tip Herman upside down but in the end Herman had a plan. Sleep above the rock all day yesterday, and this morning it's clean. Besides moving a couple of rics around he's done well not destroying the scape. I'd like to keep him in here but I just don't think there will be enough food long term.

Alk usage is down to a half a cap every few days now.

Thats barely anything! Mine soaks up so much alk daily.

Tank looks great. How do you like the WP-10s? Was thinking of getting one.

• Like 1

Thats barely anything! Mine soaks up so much alk daily.

Tank looks great. How do you like the WP-10s? Was thinking of getting one.

I'm happy with them. They're overpowered for this tank with these corals so I'm able to run wave mode at speed 3 (lowest setting) and crank up the speed as the pumps get dirty and slow down. This means I only have to clean the pumps every month or so. That's the trick with these pump, they lose performance quickly as they get dirty so as long as they are overpowered it's not a big issue.

For the price and the features I have no complaints, I got what I paid for. :)

For the price they look awesome. I mainly just want it for additional flow to my MP-10, especially when i get more sps heavy ill need the extra flow.

Your 40br is awesome btw, nice colonies.

• Like 1

For the price they look awesome. I mainly just want it for additional flow to my MP-10, especially when i get more sps heavy ill need the extra flow.

Your 40br is awesome btw, nice colonies.

Thanks. It would be so much more now if it wasn't my first reef tank and had to suffer through so many idiotic mistakes. :D

Thanks. It would be so much more now if it wasn't my first reef tank and had to suffer through so many idiotic mistakes. :D

Haha i feel you, i had two tanks before my 29, had a 20 high and then 10, the 20 ended in disaster and the 10 got the aftermath while i learned what the hell i did wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, just gotta learn and move on lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest quick FTS. Poor tank is being neglected except for water changes and adding a few frags I could not resist buying at the LFS. I moved a large frag of the big green torch into here from the 46 and surprisingly it's doing very well and growing.

oi5sk.jpg

• Like 2
Latest quick FTS. Poor tank is being neglected except for water changes and adding a few frags I could not resist buying at the LFS. I moved a large frag of the big green torch into here from the 46 and surprisingly it's doing very well and growing.

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/2277/oi5sk.jpg'>

oi5sk.jpg

Looking very nice! If you are doing WCs its not really being neglected, usually nothing an afternoon can't fix right up!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This tank keeps on trucking with only water changes and one of my thin stripe hermits trying to keep up with the hair algae. Guess which WP10 he can climb too? :)

b96391.jpg

I have hair algae, bubble algae, Caulerpa, some brown stuff, some red stuff, all kinds of stuff and I love it. The only recent additions by me was the alveopora and a couple of shrooms from the 46. I have not tested or dosed in weeks but I have started to do two small water changes rather than one a week to try and keep params in line.

My only regret is the firefish only comes out to eat. The black capped basslet never bothers him but I think he's permanently afraid of purple fish.

• Like 5

Gotta love a tank that does great regardless! Its nice not having to do endless dosing and testing, (which is the real reason I've held off the SPS bug).

• Like 1

Firefish was out when I came downstairs. Sneaky fish are being sneaky. He can't be too scared of the Basslet now, can he?

Tank is a delightful mess. :D

QOSBpt.jpg

My smaller thin stripe, lower left, is what keeps the tank fairly free of hair algae. He would do a better job if the basslet didn't enjoy knocking the crap out of him when he climbs the rocks.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Photo dump.

Tank is still a mess and everything is happy, including a lot of aptasia, so I just keep observing to see what is going to happen.

If bubble algae gives you nightmares you'll probably want to look away! :) I've been doing weekly water changes, sometimes twice a week, and I tested once and got a KH of 7.5 so I've started dosing every other day or so, a cap of alk and calcium here and there. It simply amazes me how happy the corals are even though they are being assaulted by algae of all types.

yckAXd.jpg

I bought the coolest shroom rock, but it is also the rock that introduced a couple varieties of caulerpa, some red thread algae, and who knows what else.

yFYHkm.jpg

TCkHiB.jpg

My $5 Stylocoeniella

9Vv6Bf.jpg

Duncans look just incredible in this tank. I have a frag of these in the 150 that is nowhere near as happy as these guys.

bzbhER.jpg

Halloween Hermit needs to get to work.

W7Xn0r.jpg

Some greenish softie

03zDgL.jpg

Yellowish softie

ArqWle.jpg

and then I tried to get at least one pic of every fish ....

MD2F0W.jpg

vPbIhY.jpg

WUxsqb.jpg

1x0qQl.jpg

bobfnO.jpg

• Like 5

I'm liking the look Mark, algae and all. Red and green macro algae adds color and makes a tank look lush. I'm not a fan of bubble algae and I fight it in my tank too but maybe we should think of it as adding texture! LOL

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Update.

I'll warn you again, if algae, aptasia, or planaria bother you then avoid these pics. :lol:

FTS

QT6cF7.jpg

I have not lost any coral, though not everything is perfectly happy. It's been very interesting to watch how the corals react to being overrun with algae. The red Acan has been expanding pretty rapidly, the Stylocoeniella is incredibly happy and has completely grown back since purchased as a half dead frag. The Frogspawn on the left seems irritated and the alveopora has been happier, but everything else is about the same.

I recently placed fuge lights on my HOB fuge and grabbed what was left of my chaeto from scraps stuck to pumps and caught on the rocks. I will probably move some of the caulerpa into the fuge as well.

Now here's the big thing. I removed all the SPS from this tank except an encrusted area of Forest Fire digitata. I don;t dose, I have no idea what the parameters are at the moment, but I do try and change 10% of the water every week and sometimes twice a week.

You have to look through the Cespitularia here but look at that orange and some green on the base.

YQiy55.jpg

This monti mocks me. I have never had this good of color in any of my so called SPS tanks. :blink:

I've got some more pics of corals and algae that I'll upload when I get the chance. I have to say I'm having fun with this disaster of a tank. How bad can it get, and can I get it under control without doing anything major?

• Like 1