Cultivated Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Disaster of a tank is not the right adjective. A little TLC and it'd be awesome. You are too hard on yourself!

Thanks all. 'Disaster' as in a fun mess, or something that others strive NOT to have. I do like this tank! It gives me a chance to just let things go and see what happens.

Disaster? Psh, tank makes mine look like a pile of knobs.

lol, thanks.

Love that shot of your yellow clown Goby

Yea, cute fish though a bit of a punk.

How often are you doing water changes or dosing Mark?

Once a week water changes at a minimum, no dosing and I don't know what the params are.

Here's the rest of the pics.

Happy Stylocoeniella with what I thought was a dying piece of Cyphastrea. A lot of ...rea's in this tank. :) Much like the Acan below, in my 46 bubble algae seemed to kill this coral but in here it grows around it and sometimes seems to kill it. High nutrients??

cc21QQ.jpg

This red bubble like algae has recently appeared.

CIbljF.jpg

And to its left some kind of Anthelia looking coral.

yTxVCb.jpg

These red acans laugh at the bubble algae. Funny, in my old 46 bubble algae seemed to kill the acans.

ewspGR.jpg

Shroom baby

97IZSo.jpg

These $5 colorless Blastos are looking mighty fine. I did scrape some bubble algae off the right side even though it did not seem to be hurting them. I love Blastos.

houDVi.jpg

Orange Leptastrea. It seems to hate life for a week or so, then grows a bit, then sulks again.

Cjhwvg.jpg

The Xenia is bugging the Alveopora a bit, but this tuft is on a mission to get somewhere. Two stalks are on the glass in back, a couple more on a shroom rock, but this one has inch wormed forward and might end up well in front of the Alveopora if it keeps moving. It's a fight in here between invasive corals and algae. :)

T5Znwi.jpg

• Like 3

Oct 2012 - Sep 2014: 1 year 11 months from purchase my purple firefish died this morning. No symptoms other than getting progressively skinnier, then frayed fins, then loss of appetite, and finally after days of just laying around in various locations of the tank it died. I guess the stress from poor fish choices in the past and multiple tank moves really shortened its life. :( Since I've hardly seen it for the last few months I have no plans to replace it. RIP.

Oct 2012 - Sep 2014: 1 year 11 months from purchase my purple firefish died this morning. No symptoms other than getting progressively skinnier, then frayed fins, then loss of appetite, and finally after days of just laying around in various locations of the tank it died. I guess the stress from poor fish choices in the past and multiple tank moves really shortened its life. :( Since I've hardly seen it for the last few months I have no plans to replace it. RIP.

:( Sorry man. It just happens sometimes.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Took these last night after moving monti frags from my 150 to escape the nudibranchs.

FTS. I glued the clown Goby to the front glass so it's easier to take pictures of him. :D

NxnuAv.jpg

The monti frags that will live in this tank now.

J7rCoJ.jpg

I moved my mushroom rock and a number of corals to the 150. I'm working on a plan to rid myself of the Caulerpa and at least some of the bubble algae as I slowly clean this tank up. The HOB fuge is running with algae and lights and that slowed the algae growth in here a bit. I'm ordering Berghia nudis to take care of the aptasia.

The Cespitularia made a one way trip to the garbage can after I noticed it was trying to kill the both the leather coral and the Forest Fire digitata on the rock it was on. This beast was more aggressive than Xenia and grew faster. I was clueless.

It looks to be alive where the Cest put its foot down so hopefully it will recover.

ouJOr7.jpg

Punk being a punk.

Q5NWaV.jpg

Big Bass was NOT happy I removed the shroom rock and exposed the back of his home.

9C0dVK.jpg

Prior to putting the Monti's in I tested the water. 37ppt salinity, woops, corrected. 450 calcium, good, 6.5 KH, woops, raised to 7.5KH. 1 cap of part B raised Alk by exactly 1, very convenient. Now I have to figure out what the daily usage is so I know how much to dose. I'm going to shoot for 10KH in this tank ... because.

Other observations ...

Some blue cloves are growing in the much on the back wall as well as spreading to most of the rocks now.

Xenia is slowly climbing the back wall.

The flatworms have very slowly been making a comeback, I don't think the little wrasse can keep up with them.

Both thin stripe hermits are now in here for some extra hair algae cleanup. The big one is going to have to go back to the fish store soon, he's just getting too large to deal with.

Punk still being a punk. He tried every coral before giving up and going back to his trumpets. At least he doesn't nip at these like he does acros.

FSUenL.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I see I misspoke when asking for a FTS of this tank as you had already posted one and I just missed it! My life is a little crazy with Mom Gilsons health declining and I am missing a lot here these days. I am very sorry about your firefish. They aren't a fish that has a real long lifespan anyway. That cute Lil' clown goby and black cap basselet sure look healthy. This tank is very attractive in an English tea garden sort of way.

• Like 1

Well, I see I misspoke when asking for a FTS of this tank as you had already posted one and I just missed it! My life is a little crazy with Mom Gilsons health declining and I am missing a lot here these days. I am very sorry about your firefish. They aren't a fish that has a real long lifespan anyway. That cute Lil' clown goby and black cap basselet sure look healthy. This tank is very attractive in an English tea garden sort of way.

I had not posted yet, you reminded me I had new pictures to post. :)

Sorry about your Mom, my parents are still alive but both in their 80's and it's stressful as their health slowly declines.

• Like 1

I had not posted yet, you reminded me I had new pictures to post. :)

Sorry about your Mom, my parents are still alive but both in their 80's and it's stressful as their health slowly declines.

Mom Gilson will be bed ridden for 3 years the 9th of December, (if she makes it til then). The indignities of losing ones independence, and health is ominously painful. We've tried to minimize that by being Mom's full time caregivers in our home, (his brother and sister live at the other end of the state) and it is stressful but we can provide some joys that she couldn't have otherwise. She has kept her kitty,( although I have entertained myself on multiple occasion plotting an untimely demise for Squeaky), she has a great view of our backyard complete with jousting bucks, turkeys, lots of birds and squirrels and she has her own room. Anyway thanks Mark. I hope your parents don't have to face the limitations Mom Gilson has had, for your sake and theirs.

• Like 1
Do you have any euphylia? Does the clown goby go in those ever or would it get stung

Nope, just anything it can perch in. It had hovered over the frogspawn so I wouldn't totally put it past him, but he's smart enough to avoid it.

Looking awesome Mark.

Thanks.

The thin stripe hermits were side by side this morning on the same rock, resting. Did they miss each other? Did I miss something? :D

How do you like the size of the 29 gallon?

I am debating on going to a 29 gallon from my current 20 High....

Thanks!

I like it A LOT. For one I prefer taller tanks, and for it's size this tank has great height, 2 inches taller than a 40 breeder. I don't have to bend over to see into the tank like I did with my 20 long and 40 . For me the ideal sizes of tanks are 29, 65 (tall version of the 40 breeder), and any of the taller cubes.

My inspiration for trying a 29 was this featured tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2012/nor-cal-nano-r61

If you can afford a cube and don't have any equipment yet I would at least consider it. Lots of nice cube tanks available, but the smaller ones have odd dimensions that might require some custom lighting solutions.

• Like 1

Cool... yeah I think I could use pretty much all my same equipment and rock etc from my 20H (have been debating on taking a big piece of rock out anyways). And I can get one from petco now for 29 bucks.... It would fit on the same dresser I have it on and think my Kessil A150 would be plenty of light and my shrooms would appreciate a little less light.... hahaha... Would probably add another powerhead but no biggie...

Dunno what I'm gonna do but have been debating and the sale is through 10/11 so I have a little to think about it...

Have a more fine sand on the bottom that caused algae and have been wanting to either get rid and go bare bottom or a more coarse grade to more easily clean the tank....

Dunno.... choices choices. Tis the reef hobby....

• Like 1

How do you like the size of the 29 gallon?

I am debating on going to a 29 gallon from my current 20 High....

Thanks!

I like it A LOT. For one I prefer taller tanks, and for it's size this tank has great height, 2 inches taller than a 40 breeder. I don't have to bend over to see into the tank like I did with my 20 long and 40 . For me the ideal sizes of tanks are 29, 65 (tall version of the 40 breeder), and any of the taller cubes.

My inspiration for trying a 29 was this featured tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2012/nor-cal-nano-r61

If you can afford a cube and don't have any equipment yet I would at least consider it. Lots of nice cube tanks available, but the smaller ones have odd dimensions that might require some custom lighting solutions.

Standard 29 gallons FTW

• Like 2

Flakes only, usually 3 times a day. It was neglected except for water changes while I was setting up my 150 which is right next to it. Besides water changes I had no export until I tore down my 40 and put the HOB refugium skimmer on it. I still don't run the skimmer but at least I have some regular export now.

I feel like unstable params (I never dose or check until the montis moved in) really benefit algae growth.

Oh, and I have an order shipping today.

4 berghia nudibranchs, a bright green finger leather, and a true blue acro (for my big tank). I purchased a 2.5 gallon Aqueon glass aquarium to dip (Bayer) and inspect the acro. I need a micro pump and I can have a pico!

How much do you feed this tank Mark? I would guess a pound a week with all the algae lol.

Did you ever consider connecting the 29 to the 150?

Never, I do not want to share pests. :) I will be using my Apex controller on this tank since it's perfectly capable of controlling multiple tanks, but the water will remain independent. I need to hookup dosing and topoff, just too lazy to do it.

Never, I do not want to share pests. :) I will be using my Apex controller on this tank since it's perfectly capable of controlling multiple tanks, but the water will remain independent. I need to hookup dosing and topoff, just too lazy to do it.

Good points lol.

• Like 1