ReefCleaners.org

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Great piece.

Grows a tad too fast for my liking, but I've had this one for years now, hard to kill. :) It will get huge, then usually start to look bad or actually recede, I'll cut a few frags and start over.

• Like 1

New frag in from the 150, my wifes favorite green tip orange bird. it will replace the pink/brown bird up on bird tower (left side).

2cnAkp.jpg

I love this one :wub:

• Like 2

Grows a tad too fast for my liking, but I've had this one for years now, hard to kill. :) It will get huge, then usually start to look bad or actually recede, I'll cut a few frags and start over.

thats strange, sounds like its cutting flow off to itself. Have you tried moving it to higher flow when it starts looking bad?

• Like 1

thats strange, sounds like its cutting flow off to itself. Have you tried moving it to higher flow when it starts looking bad?

It grows really fast into a big mass and any water quality issues when it's large tends to bring on issues that can only be reversed by fragging.

It's here, upper left, in the 150 just before an Alk spike killed most of it. In 3 months it had doubled in size.

kB0jNZ.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noting the tank and inhabitants are all alive. :)

SRqHrK.jpg

The crazy bird is doing well in here.

OKRFRG.jpg

I added one of my old BML strips on the front of the tank shining back to help eliminate some hard shadows.

• Like 3

So I was spying on the tank late last night, after lights out, to check the polyp extension on the abused acros, which was good. I was shocked to find a decent sized gorgeous orange crab cleaning the big maricultured pocillopora. I wondered who was knocking all the rocks off of it that either the Blenny or Basslet has been spitting around the tank. Keeping him busy, for sure.

I have no idea where he usually hangs out or how I missed him when moving this coral around.

It appears these crabs are fairly common in poci's.

http://reefguide.org/trapeziabidentata.html

That right hand pic was what he was doing when I shined the flashlight on him. :)

• Like 3

He looks like a cute lil' bugger! Handy too if he was cleaning something.

Yea, apparently these guys can really improve the health of larger colonies. I have one on a maricultured acro in the 150 but I saw him before purchasing the coral.

http://aquariumadventures.blogspot.com/2009/03/commensal-acropora-crabs.html

I'll try and get a picture of big orange if I can ever find him during the day.

• Like 2

Just noting the tank and inhabitants are all alive. :)

SRqHrK.jpg

The crazy bird is doing well in here.

OKRFRG.jpg

I added one of my old BML strips on the front of the tank shining back to help eliminate some hard shadows.

Noticing they're all alive is always a happy occasion :D

Alive and looking good!

• Like 1

Noticing they're all alive is always a happy occasion :D

Alive and looking good!

Thanks stella. This poor little tank is constantly neglected AND always seems to do well, even if it doesn't look good most of the time. :D A testament to the power of Kalk + vinegar in the topoff which keeps KH between 9 and 10.

• Like 1

And that's a great find re: the crab! Can't wait to see photos.

Thanks stella. This poor little tank is constantly neglected AND always seems to do well, even if it doesn't look good most of the time. :D A testament to the power of Kalk + vinegar in the topoff which keeps KH between 9 and 10.

Kalk+vinegar! I need to read up on this! How much per gallon do you use? And does the kalk stay mixed or does it precipitate in your top reservoir? So interesting.

• Like 1

And that's a great find re: the crab! Can't wait to see photos.

Kalk+vinegar! I need to read up on this! How much per gallon do you use? And does the kalk stay mixed or does it precipitate in your top reservoir? So interesting.

45ml of vinegar plus 3 tsp of Kalk per gallon of RO/DI BUT ...

I have glass lids and very low evaporation so I need an extra concentrated solution to keep KH high. For a tank with an open (or screened) top I think just Kalk without the vinegar would work well.

Really the perfect solution for someone as lazy as I am. :D

Oh, and it does precipitate on the bottom of my topoff jug but so far I haven't cleaned it out yet (over a year). 2 gallons of topoff lasts over 2 weeks.

• Like 1

45ml of vinegar plus 3 tsp of Kalk per gallon of RO/DI BUT ...

I have glass lids and very low evaporation so I need an extra concentrated solution to keep KH high. For a tank with an open (or screened) top I think just Kalk without the vinegar would work well.

Really the perfect solution for someone as lazy as I am. :D

Oh, and it does precipitate on the bottom of my topoff jug but so far I haven't cleaned it out yet (over a year). 2 gallons of topoff lasts over 2 weeks.

With the cover on the biocube, I probably don't go through more than 1/2 gallon, possibly 3/4 gallon per week. This is great info.

• Like 1

LFS finally got a white banded possum wrasse in, this one the darker orange with white stripes. I carefully cut more filler for the glass tops to cover any escape route and added him in. Haven't seen him since adding, hopefully he won't be bullied.

• Like 2

Ok, pictures.

Caught the crab reaching for some food.

0Bd74X.jpg

And then getting upset when my 2 year old Halloween Hermit got a little too close.

YEG6Id.jpg

Best I could get of the new wrasse.

hWh6sM.jpg

Derp...

RAH4io.jpg

• Like 7

Nice addition with the new possum wrasse. He looks to be adjusting in that pic. Derp is still my favorite though. So do you have names for the orange crab and the wrasse?

• Like 1

Nice addition with the new possum wrasse. He looks to be adjusting in that pic. Derp is still my favorite though. So do you have names for the orange crab and the wrasse?

Nope, I've given up on names unless I'm calling them one for doing something I don't like. :D

• Like 3

Nope, I've given up on names unless I'm calling them one for doing something I don't like. :D

I used to think that naming my creatures was the 'kiss of death' but that was back in the day when it was my lack of maintenance skills, not the name. I can see in the 150 that you would have too many to keep track of but it seems to me that the animals in the 29g deserve names, ya know to give them respect so they feel special even though they aren't in the honkin' big tank!

• Like 1

That wrasse is sweet! - how does the Tailspot and him get along?

No issues with the tailspot. The only fish the tailspot does not get along with is the Basslet. Both the tailspot and the goby have greeted the wrasse no issues.

• Like 2

Shot of both tanks ... this one is the smaller one. :D I like the fact you can see both slimers.

VB861a.jpg

The slimer hasn't met a tank it didn't like. Really bright green, loving the LEDs.

P3cFQp.jpg

• Like 6